07/20/08 03:37 PM
07/20/08 03:37 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Well, the puppies are now 8.5 weeks old and they are scheduled to go to their new homes starting next Thursday. Yesterday, we had 3 people here to evaluate the litter and it was a long day for everyone but the kids held up better than the adults.

Here are some stacked photos we took about a week ago. This was their first stacking session and we still hadn't gotten the bait down right (use string cheese, please) but it was good practice for the evaluation session yesterday both for the puppies and their official "stacker" -- me. Linda took the photos and if there are any problems with the images I can assure you they are the fault of the handler and not either the photographer or the puppies.

First up, in birth-order, is Mr Red.

Followed by Mr Teal.

And Professor Plum.

Next up is the Divine Ms Pink.

And Mr Green.

Ms Yellow who really didn't like the food I was using.

Mr Blue.

And last, but hardly least, Mr Lime.

The evaluators selected Ms Yellow as pick puppy in the litter and Mr Green, Mr Blue, Prof Plum and Mr Lime as the other "show" picks. Which is nice because that matches precisely with the number of show homes we have . Actually, Ms Pink is also going to a good show home that will do Obedience and Agility with her even if she doesn't work out as a Conformation dog. But Linda and I think she's going to be very pretty.

After 8 weeks and untold hours of lost sleep, we're a both delighted that they're leaving and saddened by it. We'll miss them tremendously but not the work associated with bringing them up. Having said that, this is one of the nicest groups of puppies I've ever experienced and we are very proud of each and every one of them. We're delighted they are all going to wonderful homes.

So, enjoy these kids while you can. They'll be gone in a week.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: It's Almost Time [Re: Jim Garvie] #16639
07/20/08 04:13 PM
07/20/08 04:13 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Mr. Yellow is Sooooo cute!

Re: It's Almost Time [Re: Jim Poor] #16640
07/21/08 12:52 AM
07/21/08 12:52 AM
Ohio, USA
C
ConnieM Offline
Tracker
ConnieM  Offline
Tracker
C

Ohio, USA
Really nice pups. I agree with your choices. I do think tho that Ms pink is going to surprise you and do well in the conformation ring.
Connie

Re: It's Almost Time [Re: ConnieM] #16641
07/21/08 07:36 AM
07/21/08 07:36 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Connie,
that pink girl has ATTITUDE and if her body comes together, she's going to be a super show dog. She's in exactly the right home: they will temper her attitude and dominance but allow her to develop in all ways. And she'll be 40 minutes away so we can watch her develop and help train her if she turns out.

All of these puppies could show. Many of them won't because the owners just aren't interested in doing it. And that's fine. I just want to be sure the top picks get a chance to let the judges decide if they're show dogs. If they win a few times at the puppy level, the owners will finish them. If they don't, they'll be great pets.

The last evaluator, a judge, came by last evening and agreed with the other evaluations. So it's unanimous. And pretty much in keeping with what Linda and I decided independently. We of course, know the puppies in terms of temperament and attitude which is a large component of what it takes to be a successful show dog. All in all, they're cute kids.

The stud dog owner will be here later this week and we'll get his feedback and then the pups are off to their new homes. It'll be a bittersweet week.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: It's Almost Time [Re: Jim Garvie] #16642
07/21/08 11:45 AM
07/21/08 11:45 AM
North Carolina, triangle area
wallyspop Offline
Old hand
wallyspop  Offline
Old hand

Jim, the pups look awesome but I'm sure it will be a bumpy week!

Re: It's Almost Time [Re: wallyspop] #16643
07/22/08 07:37 PM
07/22/08 07:37 PM
wallyspop Offline
Old hand
wallyspop  Offline
Old hand

Hey Jim, how are you and Linda holding up?

Re: It's Almost Time [Re: wallyspop] #16644
07/23/08 07:44 AM
07/23/08 07:44 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Bob,
rolled out of bed at 6 this morning and started hauling puppies out to the pen. Got them out; cleaned up the inside pen; make a pot of coffee; got the other dogs out for their morning potty break (including the Rottie girl who's bording with us for 2 weeks). Then it started to thunder.

So, hauled the puppies back inside, drank a cup of coffee, read the front page of the paper, cleaned up the pen, fed the cat, cleaned up the pen, drank another cup of coffee, cleaned up the pen . . . Well, it just goes on.

The puppies are ready to be on their own. Many will have other dogs to play with in their new homes and folks have been coming by to let their existing dogs meet the new puppies. Plus, folks who have met the puppies over the past 8 weeks are coming by to see them for last time before they leave. We must have 12 to 15 visitors every day. Oh, by the way, the magazine is on deadline and I have 5 portrait sessions to get out. Frankly, it will be nice to get things back to the chaos we call "normal".

I really have mixed feeling about them going. They're great puppies and I love them to pieces. But I need to give some attention to my regular guys. They have been under stress for these 8 weeks and some are beginning to show it -- Crash, the Golden, had some vomiting yesterday. So he and I went off to the pet store to buy some puppy food and he got more than his share of love and attention from the other shoppers.

My one last assignment with these guys is to get a group portrait. After we give them their second set of shots today. I'm still trying to figure out what to glue them in. I'll share it once it's done.

Take care,

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: It's Almost Time [Re: Jim Garvie] #16645
07/23/08 11:20 AM
07/23/08 11:20 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
You know, I know nada about Rotties, but, Ms Pink is a standout for me. I love her rear, it has really nice agulation, and substance

I looooved my litter of puppies, but, by 8 weeks I was very ready for them to find homes. I was tired!

Re: It's Almost Time [Re: Julie] #16646
07/23/08 11:31 AM
07/23/08 11:31 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Julie,
Ms Pink could be gorgeous. Because she was a little behind the others, we tend to rate her less than the others because she has some difficulty holding her stack. But the older they get, the closer she gets to being on even footing.

And she has tremendous attitude. I love that little devil!

She'll be in a home where we can watch her develop and if she turns out, she'll show. Can't do better than that.

Yup, we're exhausted! It isn't just the work, it's all the people coming to visit. It's great for the puppies but it's a lot of extra "on" time for us. It will be nice to get things back to normal -- whatever that is .

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: It's Almost Time [Re: Jim Garvie] #16647
07/23/08 04:21 PM
07/23/08 04:21 PM
st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
V
Visceral Image Offline
Old hand
Visceral Image  Offline
Old hand
V

st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
Jim; Congrads on a wonderful job raising the new family; I can tell in the photos that you look a little tired; I hope for you some real good rest and time with your normal family of dogs. I wanted to come by and photograph the puppies but just could not convince myself to add to your taxing schedule. Well done, my friend!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 567 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer