V
Visceral Image Offline
Old hand
Visceral Image  Offline
Old hand
V

st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
Jim;

Yes, as soon as I heard about the storm's name I thought about Annie Fay; yes, I think her spirit is very much alive among us all.

Fay is one of those storms that could truly do anything. This afternoon I heard it was stalled just off the Cape; models have it going north or northwest or north-northwest, etc. If it drifts just a bit east it will hit the very warm gulf stream and strengthen. It is one of the few storms that developed an eye over land-becoming more organized as it crossed south Florida near the lake. I have lived in the hurricane belt my entire life, save a couple years in school and a year in Russia. Because of the storm, our weather in St. Pete has been the best except for heavy cloud cover-the storm is sucking up all the moisture, humidity and dropping our temps almost 20 degrees. My prayers are with everyone in the path and being affected by the forces.

Re: Tropical Storm Fay [Re: Visceral Image] #17091
08/21/08 07:54 AM
08/21/08 07:54 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
John,
well, at 7:45 am, Fay is stalled just off-shore at Daytona Beach. Winds are up to 60 mph and she's picking up more moisture from the ocean.

The clouds overhead here in Orlando are now moving from due West to due East and it's still raining. I've not seen sunlight in over 72 hours and my eyes look like an owl's. The dogs start to dog-paddle as they head out the door to go potty. There is no pool deck: just a lake with a really deep center.

Actually, we've been very fortunate -- I'd estimate we've gotten about 7 inches of rain but some parts of the east coast of Florida have received over 25 inches and more to come. Forecast is for Fay to move "slowly" across the state toward the Gulf over the next day or so. I think SLOWLY is the operative word with Ms Fay.

I managed to get Rowdy and Sundance out for short walks yesterday between rain bands. But we've had enough. It can stop now. Hope it all stays to your North as it traverses the state.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Tropical Storm Fay [Re: Jim Garvie] #17092
08/21/08 04:27 PM
08/21/08 04:27 PM
V
Visceral Image Offline
Old hand
Visceral Image  Offline
Old hand
V

Jim;

I feel for you and your family; these storms can be very difficult to those of us with animals. My Chester does not like to get wet and does not like rain; he will go out if forced via a lead.

I heard this morning that 30 inches of rain had fell in some places, wow that is one mega-ton of water.

How does your Golden like the rain, I would think he would want to go swimming?

Best to all in the path.

Re: Tropical Storm Fay [Re: Visceral Image] #17093
08/21/08 08:49 PM
08/21/08 08:49 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
John,
the Golden, Crash, just deals with the wet. He goes out, putzes about and then comes in when called. He and I go out for the newspaper every morning (that used to be Annie Fay's job) and he's delighted.

Some of the Rotties hate getting their feet wet so I have to coax them a bit. But Rowdy, Cassidy and Sundance love to walk in the rain (I do NOT) so that's what we've been doing. Right now, winds are high and rain is banding in and out. Fay is moving -- slowly -- across the state just North of us and we're still getting a lot of Tropical Storm activity. The kids are dealing. Linda and I need to see some sun soon. Ms Fay has definitely overstayed her welcome.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Tropical Storm Fay [Re: Jim Garvie] #17094
08/22/08 07:54 AM
08/22/08 07:54 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Well, at 7:45 am Fay was sitting over Gainesville on its walk (6 mph) across the state on its way to the Gulf. We're still getting TS winds and lots of rain. Last night, I sat out on the lanei and watched the trees sway on the golf course. So far, no major damage around here but parts of Central Florida are under water. Bob, send the scuba gear!

This has been a long week. We've been under Fay's influence since Monday and it looks like it will be another 24 hours before we're out from under her "spell". I have some roof repairs to get to before the next one arrives, probably next week. Welcome to Hurricane season in Florida. Hope everyone elsewhere is dry and healthy.

Treading water in Florida,

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Tropical Storm Fay [Re: Jim Garvie] #17095
08/22/08 01:44 PM
08/22/08 01:44 PM
North Carolina, triangle area
wallyspop Offline OP
Old hand
wallyspop  Offline OP
Old hand

North Carolina, triangle area
Jim/John, sorry to hear about the soaking you guys are getting. Hopefully Fay will move out soon and you guys can dry out. Hang in there and we'll be thinking of you all.

Re: Tropical Storm Fay [Re: wallyspop] #17096
08/23/08 05:01 AM
08/23/08 05:01 AM
V
Visceral Image Offline
Old hand
Visceral Image  Offline
Old hand
V

I was "walking" my basset Chester this morning at 4 am, looks like the storm has passed and we could be back so semi-normal weather here in St. Petersburg; hopefully this will give Jim time to dry out and repair his roof.

Re: Tropical Storm Fay [Re: Visceral Image] #17097
08/23/08 08:11 AM
08/23/08 08:11 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
John,
the sun has been out here, too. I'll try to mow the hay today and get onto the roof tomorrow. But don't be fooled: they're saying showers and thunder storms later today.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Tropical Storm Fay [Re: Jim Garvie] #17098
08/23/08 01:30 PM
08/23/08 01:30 PM
V
Visceral Image Offline
Old hand
Visceral Image  Offline
Old hand
V

Quote:

John,
But don't be fooled: they're saying showers and thunder storms later today.

Jim

This is Florida, that is the daily forecast.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 399 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer