08/31/08 01:20 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

My thanks to Jorge Kemner for writing this article for NWP. It is a bit different fare than what we typically publish, and I hope that everyone likes it!

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/information/php/2008_Articles/kemner/kemner.php

James

Re: The Somme - By Jorge Kemner [Re: James Morrissey] #17271
08/31/08 07:33 PM
08/31/08 07:33 PM
England
B
barry t s Offline
Wanderer
barry t s  Offline
Wanderer
B

England
Very moving.

I have visited all the WW2 Normandy sites & memorial gardens, including the American Cemetary at Omaha Beach + the British one at Bayeaux & the German Bunkers at Pont de Hoc, which were taken by the US Rangers by fierce hand to hand fighting with Wehrmacht & Waffen SS forces. It was a Scramble up Cliffs under heavy German fire with large losses to both sides.
Will go to Northern France/Belgium one day & pay my respects to the veterans of the Great War.

Re: The Somme - By Jorge Kemner [Re: barry t s] #17272
09/04/08 08:38 AM
09/04/08 08:38 AM
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, Barry for your thoughts.

James

Re: The Somme - By Jorge Kemner [Re: barry t s] #17273
09/04/08 01:25 PM
09/04/08 01:25 PM
the netherlands
jorg Offline
Wanderer
jorg  Offline
Wanderer

the netherlands
Hey Barry,

Thanks for the reaction. Nice to hear that the article moves you. I guess that was the feeling i had there constantly.

I havent yet visited the d-day sites but I plan on going there soon, as well as the memorials and cemeteries in Holland.

Greets,
Jorg

Re: The Somme - By Jorge Kemner [Re: jorg] #17274
09/08/08 06:16 PM
09/08/08 06:16 PM
England
B
barry t s Offline
Wanderer
barry t s  Offline
Wanderer
B

England
I have been to the Dutch Island of Walcheren on two occasions, also. It is an Island connected to the mainland by a peninsula, just north of the mouth of the river Scheldt, the gateway to Antwerp in northern Belgium. Dwight D Eisenhower tasked General Montgomery to capture Antwerp from the Germans, as it was one of the key ports in Europe at the time & was vital for landing more allied fuel & supplies to fuel the allied push into Holland & eventually Germany itself. The coastal German defenses on Walcheren consisted of guns as large as 8.5" in concrete emplacements with roof's 14feet thick! British warships Warspite & Erebus shelled the German guns from 13 miles offshore with their 8" guns & failed to put them out of action. Many shells landed inland, landing on Dutch civilian area's. The Royal Airforce bombed the Dykes that drain the Island & caused heavy flooding, the Dutch climbed onto their house roof's to escape the flooding & many drowned. The Germans moved their troops & equipment onto the coastal Sand Dunes that protected the Island from the Sea. My father was a Royal Marine & 47 RM Commando (his group) + 48 RMC, Canadian, Norwegian, Free Belgium & Polish troops were forced to land there. They landed in "little ships". These were converted boats with light guns mounted on them. The German guns made light work of them & many sank. "Buffalo" and "Weasel" amphibious tracked landing vehicles (LVT's..landing vehicle tracked)were also used. These were made of 5mm plate, unarmed & offered little protection against even a machine gun. Many of them were shot up & sank & many drowned. They could only move at 5 knots in the water & some couldn't cope with the river current. Eventually, 10,000 German troops surrendered & Antwerp fell to the Allies.Over 700 Royal Marines died there, along with many Canadian's, Poles, Belgium's & Norwegians. The surviving Marines & families still go every year in early November to pay respects & lay wreaths in honour of fallen comrades, a wreath is always dedicated to the many Dutch who were bombed & drowned during this action. The reception from the people of Walcheren is always outstanding & the veterans are honoured every time. I have been to civil receptions in Middelburg (island capital) & Westkapelle.

If you contact Marc de Bolster...Elzendreef 29, 2272 CG Voorburg, Netherlands or e-mail- m.de.bolster@xs4all.nl he will tell you alot about it, Jorg. website www.47commando.org.uk is interesting too.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 477 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer