09/02/08 08:58 PM
09/02/08 08:58 PM
North Carolina, triangle area
wallyspop Offline OP
Old hand
wallyspop  Offline OP
Old hand

Our little guy Rocky (chihuahua below)had a very rough weekend. Rocky was diagnosed with Addisons disease back when he was only 1 1/2. That was a rough time. He was so sick at that time he was being hydrated every day with IV's here at home. We loved him so much we refused to give up on him. After 3 months he was finally diagnosed with Addisons disease. After we began the treatments of daily steroids he became a brand new puppy. Happy and playing and the best little buddy you could ask for.
Here we are 8 years later with barely an upset tummy or anything. This past Friday he suddenly became very ill. We rushed him to the Veterinary Specialty Hospital thinking he was in Addisonian crisis. He was vomiting, staggering when walking like he was dizzy, and limping badly. If you know Addisons, these are all symptoms of Addisonian crisis. Well they did a complete round of bloodwork and immediately put him on IV's. His blood looked good with one exception, his ALT enzymes were high. That meant no Addisonian crisis. The enzymes could however indicate Liver problems.
Well Rocky came home Saturday night and has slowly been improving clinically. The problem was they had done an xray where Rocky's liver did look enlarged. Their doctor that does the ultrasound was out. My wife took Rocky in today for the ultrasound and our worse fears were confirmed. The little guy has liver cancer. It appears it is confined to one lobe and they did do a biopsy. We'll know the results tomorrow. This little guy had it so hard when he was a pup, but he's a tough little guy. He is so lovable the people at the Veterinary Specialty Hospital just raved the entire time on just what a good boy he is, and never resisted anything they did. I guess the reason I'm writing this is to share and ask for a little prayer for our little guy. We love him a bunch and we are praying for the best. Thanks

Here is Rocky

Re: sad news for our little guy [Re: wallyspop] #17299
09/02/08 09:29 PM
09/02/08 09:29 PM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
My thoughts for your little guy are coming your way. Prayers are with you.

Peggy Sue
Re: sad news for our little guy [Re: Peggy Sue] #17300
09/02/08 09:55 PM
09/02/08 09:55 PM
wallyspop Offline OP
Old hand
wallyspop  Offline OP
Old hand

Thank you Peggy Sue

Re: sad news for our little guy [Re: wallyspop] #17301
09/03/08 08:00 AM
09/03/08 08:00 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Bob,
I understand completely -- that's similar to the cycle Annie went through before she left us. Rocky's done wonderful with Addisons. We'll pray that the liver tumor is benign.

Give the guy a hug from me.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: sad news for our little guy [Re: Jim Garvie] #17302
09/03/08 08:20 AM
09/03/08 08:20 AM
wallyspop Offline OP
Old hand
wallyspop  Offline OP
Old hand

Thanks Jim. These times sure are tough!
He has done extremely well with the Addisons. Believe it or not, we have only had to adjust his florinef 1 time in 8 years. We never opted for the DOCP shots due to the fact that he has done so well and stayed so stable.

I will give him a big hug for ya and thank you for the prayers.

Re: sad news for our little guy [Re: wallyspop] #17303
09/03/08 12:41 PM
09/03/08 12:41 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Oh Bob, we'll all be thinking about you and your little guy. Please keep us posted.

Re: sad news for our little guy [Re: Jim Poor] #17304
09/03/08 01:56 PM
09/03/08 01:56 PM
st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
V
Visceral Image Offline
Old hand
Visceral Image  Offline
Old hand
V

st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
Bob;

So sorry to hear of the problems the your little guy is facing; he will be in my prayers

Re: sad news for our little guy - update [Re: Visceral Image] #17305
09/03/08 02:57 PM
09/03/08 02:57 PM
wallyspop Offline OP
Old hand
wallyspop  Offline OP
Old hand

Thank you Jim and John, and thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers, I believe they are helping!

I received a call from the Oncologist today. She the microscopic results of the biopsy actually did not show the mass as a cancerous tumor. Neither malignant nor benign! Now with that being said they also stated that is the mass was large and defined it should be assumed it is a benign tumor. The Oncologist said that it still could cause problems either way because it is so large. The mass is almost 2" long and he is a very small little guy. The net is they recommend we wait 30 days and redo the ultrasound to see what has occurred. Amazingly the microscopic tests also indicated cell rejuvenation (he's rebuilding his liver). So now we pray and wait.

Rocky seems to still be doing well clinically. He's eating, drinking and playing just like normal. He looks strange with all the shaving that was done all over his little body but he's still a pretty darn handsome little guy.

Thank you all again for the support and prayers. I know it's helping and I did let Rocky know! He actually yawned when I told him but I know he appreciates it as well! Thanks!

Re: sad news for our little guy - update [Re: wallyspop] #17306
09/03/08 03:47 PM
09/03/08 03:47 PM
England
B
barry t s Offline
Wanderer
barry t s  Offline
Wanderer
B

England
Sorry to hear of your/Rocky's plight. Sounds like things may slowly be looking up for him, especially if he is eating & playful.
I will keep my eye & thoughts & prayer's on you all & this thread.
Best regards,
Barry

Re: sad news for our little guy - update [Re: barry t s] #17307
09/03/08 04:06 PM
09/03/08 04:06 PM
wallyspop Offline OP
Old hand
wallyspop  Offline OP
Old hand

Thank you Barry!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 312 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer