09/06/08 10:06 AM
09/06/08 10:06 AM
Uturoa, Raiatea FP / Hubbard, ...
maheanuu Offline OP
Tracker
maheanuu  Offline OP
Tracker

The photo that I am posting was shot by my nephew and sent to me and I would like to save it, but it needs some work, and I'm not sure on how to accomplish it. I am using Gimp as my working editor, and can't seem to get this photo to a point that i want. http://mah.smugmug.com/photos/366080869_GYxRm-O.jpg

As you will quickly see that the upper petal of the flower is partially shadowed and being a novice, I have not figured out how to manipulate it to remove the shadow and make the flower photo a keeper. This flower, by the way, is one of the rarest flowers in the world. It grows only on our mountain Mt. Temehani on the island of Raiatea and we have had botanists from around the world try to transplant it or move it with no avail. It is a protected species and there is no picking or disturbing of the plant allowed (which suits me fine). I am not sure if any of you use Gimp or not, but being as my rich uncle had not yet appeared, or let alone, died yet, I can't afford Photoshop CS(X)for my home computer, but I think that the work should be very similar.

The name of this flower is the Tiare Apetahi for any of you that might be interested

Thanks much for any help that might be provided.

Ken Jackson
CPO USN Ret.

Last edited by maheanuu; 09/06/08 10:26 AM.
Re: I would really appreciate some help on this photo [Re: maheanuu] #17352
09/06/08 12:10 PM
09/06/08 12:10 PM
oregon
dave_lines Offline
Venturer
dave_lines  Offline
Venturer

oregon
this is a quicky fix, took the tip off one of the lower flower petals, second from bottom. flipped it. moved and rotated it to fit the shadow part. quick healing brush and clone tool to clean things up a bit. still needs some touch up to match the color of white. DAve

Attached Files
Last edited by dave_lines; 09/06/08 12:16 PM.
Re: I would really appreciate some help on this photo [Re: dave_lines] #17353
09/06/08 10:53 PM
09/06/08 10:53 PM
Nashville Tennessee
Durwood Edwards Offline
Old hand
Durwood Edwards  Offline
Old hand

Nashville Tennessee
I think Dave did a really excellent repair!
What is the size of the bloom?

Durwood Edwards
www.joelton.org

"Never miss a good chance to shut-up!" - Will Rogers
Re: I would really appreciate some help on this ph [Re: Durwood Edwards] #17354
09/07/08 11:42 AM
09/07/08 11:42 AM
maheanuu Offline OP
Tracker
maheanuu  Offline OP
Tracker

Thank you Dave, It is absolutely stunning. Bravo Zulu! I need to learn this technique, and will see if I can find a gimp forum to learn it in. Your kindness is very greatly appreciated.

This flower grows on Mt. Temehaani on the Island of Raiatea, which is the Island that I call home. I may never have a chance to see this flower again, but many are the times I climbed the mountain at night to await the opening of the buds. They open in the early morning about 3 to 5 o'clock and you can actually hear them pop open. After it takes a while for the petals to curve in the reverse to their normal position that is shown in the photo. The flower is about 2 inches across the open side (from tip to tip on outside petals. It is one of the worlds rarest plants and is only found on our island and on Mt Temehani. Botanists from around the world have been to the island to study the flower and try to transplant it, to no avail. Perhaps it could be cloned, but I have not heard of anyone trying to do this procedure as of yet. The plant itself stands about a meter in height.

There is a legend that goes with this plant, and I thought that I would pass it on to you as I heard it from the tu'puna (the elders) of which I am now one.

Many years ago an Arii Nui was searching for a wife throughout the islands of Polynesia. He had heard of a beautiful woman in the Cook Islands (Raroto'a), and after a meeting with his retenue and stocking a sailing canoe they set sail for the islands to the west and after meeting with the Arii on the islands met the Vahini whom he wanted as his wife and brought her back to Raiatea (Hava'iki Nui) and introduced her to his people who found her not only beautiful and charming but compassionate and very much in favor of the commoners. This Queen ruled with her husband for many years and the bond between them and the people was so strongly forged, that when she died instead of returning her body to the islands of her birth they buried her on our Sacred Mountain, Temehani. Some time after her burial this strange plant sprung from her grave and opend as would a hand, for the people of Raiatea.

Perhaps, if I am lucky and my health will let me I will have another chance to climb the slopes of my beloved mountain to watch a sunrise over the Island of Huahine to the east, and a sunset over the Island of Bora Bora to the west. And in you haven't already guessed it, I have gone totally native. I married into the Arii nui family and have never looked back....

Thanks again for all your kind help!

Ken Jackson
CPO USN Ret.

Re: I would really appreciate some help on this ph [Re: maheanuu] #17355
09/07/08 12:38 PM
09/07/08 12:38 PM
oregon
dave_lines Offline
Venturer
dave_lines  Offline
Venturer

oregon
Thank you for the well done, been a long time since I heard bravo zulu. RD2 when I got out of the navy in 68. I have the full sized file if you would like me to send it to you. It is about 3 megs in size. Send me a PM with your e mail addy if you do.. DAve

Re: I would really appreciate some help on this ph [Re: dave_lines] #17356
09/08/08 12:58 PM
09/08/08 12:58 PM
Helena, MT
D
Don Edwards Offline
Venturer
Don Edwards  Offline
Venturer
D

Helena, MT
Nicely done Dave
Chief Jackson your original pic looked good to me as well, i liked the little shadow

Airdale side of the squid world here
AE2 when I got out in 1986

Don

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
Re: I would really appreciate some help on this ph [Re: Don Edwards] #17357
09/08/08 10:47 PM
09/08/08 10:47 PM
maheanuu Offline OP
Tracker
maheanuu  Offline OP
Tracker

Thanks Don, The photo was shot by a nephew of mine who is at home on vacation at present and he and a couple of his school friends climbed Temehani to shoot the Tiare Apetahi Flower and he sent them to me. His name is Doumai Hapaitaha'a and is working on his Masters Degree in Paris. He is the first in our family to have graduated from college and is studying computer science.. As a child he would sit at my side learning computers and basic (during those DOS Daze). He always said that he wanted to be just like me when he grew up and he has exceeded me by light years. I was a field engineer for Sperry Univac after retiring and went back to work for the Navy as a Ceta on electronics and Navy digital systems.. I have great skills,(photography isn't one of them yet, but I am trying) but my nephew is so very much better in programming and theory.. I am so very proud of him and if you use the photo, which you may if you like please credit him and you can use Raiatea, French Polynesia as his location for the shot.. I and he would appreciate that.

Glad to meet another shipmate Don, and if you are ever out this way, feel free to come by and touch base, perhaps we can go out and shoot something fun, even beautiful.

Ken

Last edited by maheanuu; 09/08/08 10:49 PM.
Took a Stab At It..... [Re: maheanuu] #17358
09/09/08 08:22 AM
09/09/08 08:22 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Played with it a bit....

From yet another with a Naval Past (Jet Engine Mechanic) AD Second Class.

Re: Took a Stab At It..... [Re: RomanJohnston] #17359
09/09/08 10:31 AM
09/09/08 10:31 AM
maheanuu Offline OP
Tracker
maheanuu  Offline OP
Tracker

Heh! Roman, I know you (a little bit) shipmate, went with you on the double shoot you set up and held fer all of us in PDX a year ago... I had a great time!! Thanks for the work and I like it also.

Looks like I created a monster here, sure is neat tho, seeing how many people who were in the Nav, have taken up photography.

We need to do something together again...

Re: Took a Stab At It..... [Re: maheanuu] #17360
09/09/08 10:59 AM
09/09/08 10:59 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Yeah....maybe a NWP (stand for North West Pcaific?) shoot everyones invited!!!

I remember...didnt put the two together....sorry bout that!

:~)

Roman

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer