Maine, USA
D
dlc Offline OP
Tracker
dlc  Offline OP
Tracker
D

Maine, USA
Hello. Not sure how I found this site but glad I did. The information provided is a 'goldmine' of thoughts, ideas and support. Thank you to those that pulled this site together as well as those that participate.

I am new to photography, so new in fact, I am still learning the basics of everything; shooting, lighting, editing, etc. I have a Olypmus-510, bought in a kit with two lenses. This was the camera of choice because it came in a kit that I could afford. I thought this was the best jumping in point.

My first paid assignment was a wedding, without any formal shots, completely candid. I dont suggest this to anyone by the way, I was completely exhausted when I got home. It was the second wedding for both bride and groom, so traditional shots were not requested. Although, I would have preferred the traditional shots.

They have told me that I would be the photographer of choice to do the blended family holiday shots next month, so they must be pleased.

I had business card's printed using the word 'photographer', more or less to make the client(s) secure and relaxed, like calling the medical resident, doctor. It really should say, 'photographer in training'. I have so very much to learn.

I also am a artist, getting into it after years of ignoring the talent. I started this business by drawing the newborns of friends and co-worker's as gifts instead of the typical receiving blankets or baby bottle's.

Both area's, photography and the artwork are only months old, so new in fact, I haven't made the typical mistakes of getting a business started. I am shy with the artistic ability and must come out of the shell, getting into local art shows to get myself recognized.

Well, that is me in a nutshell. I hope to get brave enough to post some shots but to be honest, I feel like I am not ready for kindergarden compared to all of you, that apparently have your masters. So, don't expect a photo post anytime soon.

Re: Another Newbie [Re: dlc] #17899
10/09/08 07:26 AM
10/09/08 07:26 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hi Debbie,

Welcome aboard! That is quite a story to start out with. I know I certainly look forward to seeing some of your work, and hopefully you will add your thoughts to others who post here as well.

Cheers
James

Re: Another Newbie [Re: James Morrissey] #17900
10/09/08 07:33 AM
10/09/08 07:33 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Hey Debbie! Welcome to the site. Hopefully you will get past your shyness and start sharing. There are a lot of talented people here that would be happy to help you.

Look forward to your input and seeing your work.

Roman

Re: Another Newbie [Re: RomanJohnston] #17901
10/10/08 12:05 AM
10/10/08 12:05 AM
Helena, MT
D
Don Edwards Offline
Venturer
Don Edwards  Offline
Venturer
D

Helena, MT
Welcome, and jump on in the water's fine.

Don

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
Re: Another Newbie [Re: Don Edwards] #17902
10/10/08 05:16 AM
10/10/08 05:16 AM
Maine, USA
D
dlc Offline OP
Tracker
dlc  Offline OP
Tracker
D

Maine, USA
Thank you. I appreciate the welcome. I do intend to pick your wonderfully filled brains with all the knowledge that you can spare.

For one, how in the world do I print pics at home without the extremely high cost of ink? I have an HP All-In-One that is only a few months old but would purchase another piece of equipment if necessary.

Re: Another Newbie [Re: dlc] #17903
10/10/08 05:45 AM
10/10/08 05:45 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
dlc, welcome. I use two labs for my printing, aside from proofs, and a print now and then mostly to keep my inc from clogging . . . the cost of buying prints, almost any size is much better than printing them yourself - i have found. that said, you do lose some control, but i cant make an 11x14 metalic print for $1.99!!!

I use Bay photo for custom fine art stuff, and if I need volume or I know that my prints will print exactly as I see them, adorama pixs is a good choice.

I choose to be a photographer and not a printer, some argue I'm wrong, but it works for me. . . BTW, my proof printing is done on a dye-sub printer - an olympus 440. I have a couple lazer printers, an three ink jets, the inc jets seldom are used.

Tony

Re: Another Newbie [Re: dlc] #17904
10/10/08 03:17 PM
10/10/08 03:17 PM
Nashville Tennessee
Durwood Edwards Offline
Old hand
Durwood Edwards  Offline
Old hand

Nashville Tennessee
If you are really wanting to get into printing at home and want to economize a bit, keep an eye on Epson.com for their deals on reconditioned printers. I have purchased two and they might as well be new while costing 2-3 hundred bellow new prices.

Durwood Edwards
www.joelton.org

"Never miss a good chance to shut-up!" - Will Rogers
Re: Another Newbie [Re: Durwood Edwards] #17905
10/11/08 03:18 AM
10/11/08 03:18 AM
Maine, USA
D
dlc Offline OP
Tracker
dlc  Offline OP
Tracker
D

Maine, USA
Thank you for the information regarding my inquiry on the cost of printing. I visited the sites suggested and am pleased with what I saw. I think home printing will be out for me, except in rare cases.

I also visited your individual sites, all I can say is WOW!!! Beautiful shots, incredible photography!!!

I am in a world of first's, everything is new and exciting. I don't bat in your leagues, not sure if I ever will, but it has been a blast so far. I would like a website in the future, although I don't know how to get one.
Any suggestions on this particular area would also be greatly appreciated.

It's like taking a baby by the hand isn't it?.....lol

Re: Another Newbie [Re: dlc] #17906
10/11/08 04:13 AM
10/11/08 04:13 AM
Maine, USA
D
dlc Offline OP
Tracker
dlc  Offline OP
Tracker
D

Maine, USA
I am feeling a monmentary burst of bravery, so have posted one of my shots under Critique My Work. Please, feel free to let me know if you laughed yourself out of the chair or broke down crying in sympathy for this feeble beginner.

Re: Another Newbie [Re: dlc] #17907
10/11/08 08:34 AM
10/11/08 08:34 AM
Helena, MT
D
Don Edwards Offline
Venturer
Don Edwards  Offline
Venturer
D

Helena, MT
we all had to start some where, I'm still new myself don't think I'll get to the status of Tony, Roman or James but I have fun taking pictures for my own enjoyment.

don

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 477 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer