Santa Rosa Beach, Florida USA
D
dbyrd Offline OP
Tracker
dbyrd  Offline OP
Tracker
D

....was this Italian Greyhound. He was way too fast for me to get any good images from. Tore up my sets,m and just wore me out! I applaud all of you that can handle these Dogs! [image]http://[/image]

Attached Files
18062-zach0065.jpg (90 downloads)
Re: The most difficult Animal I have photographed [Re: dbyrd] #17940
10/10/08 03:27 PM
10/10/08 03:27 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Some dogs are really difficult. I keep show leads around to keep difficult ones under control. It is so much easier to PS a show lead out, than sweat and try to get a dog under control. I usually just have the owner stand to the side out of the photos and hold the lead.

I'd also shoot even with the dog or down a little bit. Looking up on it gives a funny effect

Re: The most difficult Animal I have photographed [Re: Julie] #17941
10/10/08 04:14 PM
10/10/08 04:14 PM
D
dbyrd Offline OP
Tracker
dbyrd  Offline OP
Tracker
D

Quote:

Some dogs are really difficult. I keep show leads around to keep difficult ones under control. It is so much easier to PS a show lead out, than sweat and try to get a dog under control. I usually just have the owner stand to the side out of the photos and hold the lead.

I'd also shoot even with the dog or down a little bit. Looking up on it gives a funny effect

Thanks for the advice. Shooting up on an animal is just my style. I prefer to use different perspectives in my photography. I do shoot at even eye level also, but I prefer not to shoot down on an animal, again that is just my personal preference.
I will try that lead tip though,sounds like a good idea. D'Byrd Photography

Re: The most difficult Animal I have photographed [Re: dbyrd] #17942
10/10/08 06:34 PM
10/10/08 06:34 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Donald,
depending on the breed, I like to shoot up at the dogs, too, so the shooting angle doesn't bother me but IGs should be shot more from the side -- if possible and it sounds like getting this dog to stand still in any position was a miracle .

IGs are difficult to photograph because they tend to be pretty wired and most toy tosses actually frighten them. I've had some decent results at shows but I've never shot them in formal portraits either in the studio or outside. Not that I'm disappointed. They're very difficult.

This shot was taken in the ring just after the overhead lights had gone out. The judge asked me if I thought I could shoot under those circumstances and I said I'd give it a try. I didn't know the ears were up until I saw the proofs and they could only have been up for a nanosecond. As I said before, this is the angle I prefer and you'll notice I'm shooting up a bit.

I'm sure Julie could get great shots of IGs but for me they're a handful.

Keep shooting,

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 561 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer