10/11/08 12:06 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

It seems like this has been a bad couple of weeks for many of us here. Today, I learned that our cat, Jamie, is very ill with Feline Infectious Peritonitis. FIP is a currently non curable disease. It generally strikes felines under the age of 2, and over the age of 10.

James came to us about 4 years ago from a shelter. He was one of 57 Maine Coon cats that was removed from some woman's home. Allegedly, James never saw the light of a crate until we got him.

He came to us ugly, attacking his tail after they cut it trying to eliminate the mats on him. He had to where an E Collar for nearly 6 months during the time that we helped him recover. The only other option was cutting off a section of his tail.

His playmate, a young kitten named Toby, harassed him and kept his mind off of his tail. LOL, it was aided by the fact that we had to add long sheets of paper so that Jamie could not actually see it and attack the tail. You folks don't see photos of Toby because he was our first to suffer from FIP. Toby died prematurely at the age of 7 months.

We were told that the chances that a second cat in the household would get the virus was minute as only about 1% of cats is susceptible (sp) to the Corona Virus that causes FIP. James started showing signs about a week ago when I was still in Jackson Hole. My wife called me to tell me that he was not looking good. She brought him into the Vet. They were stumped. He was 4 days in an isolation unit, has been x-rayed and had an ultrasound. Today, we were to examine the possibility of nasal cancer.

After a consult with the surgeon and the x-rays, it was determined that he did not have any sort of cancer. That good news brought us to the fact that his titer for FIP was way over the mark. In some respects, I would much have preferred to hear that he had cancer. At least there is an option that allows a potential fight with cancer (even though as far as I see, few people's pets actually survive it).

As James is about 8 years old, he is young to be getting this virus, but I am told that since he has had chronic upper resp. problems over the years, that his immune system may be compromised. In James case, it will cause blindness and paralysis and is not curable we are told. We are grappling with when we should euthanize James, and of course, hoping of some miracle cure that does not exist.

All in all, it has been an ugly day at home.

Last edited by James Morrissey; 10/11/08 12:08 AM.
Re: Four Legged James - FIP [Re: James Morrissey] #17967
10/11/08 06:22 AM
10/11/08 06:22 AM
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida USA
D
dbyrd Offline
Tracker
dbyrd  Offline
Tracker
D

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida USA
Wish you and James the best of luck. He looks like a beautiful creature. The comparrison between his first image and his last is incredible.

Re: Four Legged James - FIP [Re: dbyrd] #17968
10/11/08 07:29 AM
10/11/08 07:29 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Here's wishing you all well. Deciding when / if to euthanize is a really tough decision and one that I prayed I would never have to make.

I don't know what treatment options there are to keep him happy and healthy as long as possible, but I'm sure you'll know when the time comes that he's ready to go.

Re: Four Legged James - FIP [Re: Jim Poor] #17969
10/11/08 09:33 AM
10/11/08 09:33 AM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
James,
So sorry you have to join the ranks of unhappy animal lovers this week. It sounds like you are struggling and that is always a very difficult position to be in. You are doing everything you can.
You are in my thoughts.

Peggy Sue
Re: Four Legged James - FIP [Re: James Morrissey] #17970
10/12/08 09:15 AM
10/12/08 09:15 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
James,
sad time for you and your family. James looks like a great cat. I'm afraid I can't advise on when is the right time to euthanize. We usually wait perhaps too long. When we were losing our 8-year-old Rottie girl a year ago -- she was in renal failure -- we made the decision before she went into shock and her systems shut down. She was being hydrated with 4 bags of IV fluid a day but she was still there. She had cleaned Cassidy's first litter and had gotten through the Xmas Holidays with lots of company and lots of love. So we said "goodbye" when she was still our Coco.

To me it's always an issue of quality of life. If the animal is all there mentally and is not in pain, then you can put up with a little inconvenience to keep them in your life.

Good luck with your decisions. And good luck to James. May he live a good life for as long as possible.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Four Legged James - FIP [Re: Jim Garvie] #17971
10/12/08 10:00 AM
10/12/08 10:00 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I am so sorry James. It is so hard no matter when it happens. Though, I do think it is harder when they are younger. The photos are beautiful.

Re: Four Legged James - FIP [Re: Julie] #17972
10/14/08 07:21 AM
10/14/08 07:21 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes. Yesterday, we took James to a homeopathic veterinarian. This was my first experience taking any of our guys to one. It was a very different experience from anything I ever have had before, and I hope that it will bring some element of peace to James (and health!). Only time will tell, but I am hopeful that James will be with us for at least a few more months, and the Vet said that she felt that he could be treated potentially for a year or more, without causing James any suffering. That is a big deal to me.

James

Re: Four Legged James - FIP - Ugly Week [Re: James Morrissey] #17973
10/17/08 11:54 AM
10/17/08 11:54 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to give you an update. It has been a horrible week for us. In the last 48 hours, we lost both Four Legged James and Matthew.

Matthew was completely unexpected. We took him for his annual check-up, corresponding to a time that we noticed in the last 48 hours that he was not eating well. The doctor checked him out and noticed some weight loss, and some muscle wasting...and also a low temperature (103.2....not very high but high enough given the concerns with James).

I took him home, fed him, and went to work. He was dead less than 5 hours later. I have NO idea what happened. He was fine when I left. FIP, while nasty and contagious, and always fatal, does not work like that. The doctor thinks possibly a blood clot to the brain.

Anyway, to make the nightmare worse, yesterday, it was apparent that James was dieing, and that he was not comfortable. We took him to be put to sleep. We have no more boys at home.

James

Re: Four Legged James - FIP - Ugly Week [Re: James Morrissey] #17974
10/17/08 12:06 PM
10/17/08 12:06 PM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
James, I am so sorry for you both. This has to be a very difficult time for you. My sympathy to you and Chanthee.

Peggy Sue
Re: Four Legged James - FIP - Ugly Week [Re: Peggy Sue] #17975
10/17/08 05:10 PM
10/17/08 05:10 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Wow....I know how much our cat means to us....to have dbl the loss has to be very hard for the both of you. My condolances to your family.

Roman

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer