Welcome! NWPphotoforum.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#18224 - 10/26/08 05:03 PM Mt. Moran, A Storm and Some Foliage
James Morrissey Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Manhattan, New York, New York
We did not have a ton of great sunsets and sunrises during this last trip, however, we did get some really weird lighting. For example, daylight conditions with heavy storms passing. The lighting kept changing with the second, and I will admit that it was one of the cooler experiences of the trip. These are two from a series of shots I took at Mt. Moran during this last trip.

I hope folks enjoy.

James

#18225 - 10/26/08 07:36 PM Re: Mt. Moran, A Storm and Some Foliage [Re: James Morrissey]
dave_lines Offline
Venturer

Loc: oregon
I like the first one the best,, storms over the mountains are neat. DAve

#18226 - 10/26/08 08:43 PM Re: Mt. Moran, A Storm and Some Foliage [Re: James Morrissey]
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand

Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Hi James:

I like both of these shots for different reasons. In the first, I like the way you can see the storm clouds moving in while the trees in front are still bathed in sunlight. At the same time, off in the distance, you get a hint of the blue skies to come.

The zoom on the vertical crop juxtaposes the warm, rich, and inviting colors of the fall foliage with the stark, cold, and foreboding atmosphere of the mountain.

I think I prefer the second shot because the perspective makes me, as the viewer, feel like part of the scene.

Jim

#18227 - 11/03/08 01:59 PM Re: Mt. Moran, A Storm and Some Foliage [Re: Tucson Jim]
James Morrissey Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the comments, everyone. The lighting was different from what I would normally get, and while I like the photos, I was still not sure they worked or not. The mountain, being such a massive part of the composition, yet being clouded out (literally) made me concerned that it just would not translate.

James

#18228 - 11/03/08 06:32 PM Re: Mt. Moran, A Storm and Some Foliage [Re: James Morrissey]
whawn Offline
Wanderer

I was there Sept 20th. No leaf color to speak of and not a cloud in the sky. Three days I hung out. Nothing. Motel bills getting high. Had to leave. Looks like I shoulda stuck it out.

I noticed then, and again here, that the glacier seems smaller than I ever remember it. It's been a very dry summer and warm autumn.

I think the second image works better than the first, but the blue mountain seems to be a bit too light above the strong yellow of the trees. H'ever, I think by cropping from the bottom, about halfway up the trees, the mountain comes to dominate, has nearly the right tone, and you get a nice rhythmic thing going left to right; the tallest tree, the mountain and the clouds beyond echo each other nicely...

#18229 - 11/04/08 02:32 AM Re: Mt. Moran, A Storm and Some Foliage [Re: whawn]
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Portland Oregon
Hey James, I like both for diffrent reasons....somthing seems to get lost in the translation....dont know if it is just PP, or somthing else.....maybe a nice split ND filter...or a blend.

They just seem to have more drama in the real moment than was captured.

Does that make any sense?

Roman

#18230 - 11/04/08 12:05 PM Re: Mt. Moran, A Storm and Some Foliage [Re: RomanJohnston]
Jim Poor Offline
Addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
I think I prefer the first one, though I wonder what the second would look like if you boosted the top half in saturation and played with it a bit.

Visit my website

#18231 - 11/05/08 03:32 PM Re: Mt. Moran, A Storm and Some Foliage [Re: Jim Poor]
James Morrissey Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

OK Folks,

Do I hear a Post Processing Challenge coming on???

James

#18232 - 11/05/08 04:30 PM Re: Mt. Moran, A Storm and Some Foliage [Re: James Morrissey]
Jim Poor Offline
Addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
I'm leery about messing with peoples' images on hear as it doesn't seem to be the norm as it is on another site I hang out at. But, if you're game, I'll take a crack at one of these.

Visit my website

#18233 - 11/05/08 09:01 PM Re: Mt. Moran, A Storm and Some Foliage [Re: Jim Poor]
James Morrissey Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Jim,

It is something we seem to do in spurts. :P Having said that, please!! Modify my images!!!

James

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Poppy, sheril walker, WbN, sierravalleylabs, Jon Albert
3310 Registered Users
Forum Stats
3310 Members
13 Forums
6384 Topics
36608 Posts

Max Online: 513 @ 07/14/12 06:45 PM

Copyright ©2005 - 2017 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer