Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Misha,

This sounds like an awesome year for you indeed. Don't be afraid to take notes.

James

Re: Where’re Ya Headed?- NP's 2006 [Re: James Morrissey] #1838
03/23/06 02:11 AM
03/23/06 02:11 AM
California, USA
M
Misha Offline
Tracker
Misha  Offline
Tracker
M

California, USA
David - we will be flying ourselves to Bettles. From there, we're contracting Brooks Range Air and their Beaver to drop us at Circle Lake. They will pick us up three weeks later. We'll be spending most of our time climbing (hopefully first ascents) around Arrigetch Peaks.

James - you bet! I am hoping to write a feature for one of the outdoor magazines after we come back. Perhaps, I can publish something here too!

Misha

Re: Where’re Ya Headed?- NP's 2006 [Re: Misha] #1839
03/23/06 08:46 AM
03/23/06 08:46 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Excellent. I hope that I was not too subtle.

James

PS Have you been speaking with any magazines about specifically publishing some pieces for them? If so, what has that been like?

Re: Where’re Ya Headed?- NP's 2006 [Re: Tony Bynum] #1840
05/07/06 10:13 PM
05/07/06 10:13 PM
MA
J
Joe Offline
Tracker
Joe  Offline
Tracker
J

MA
Tony - My wife and I will be visiting your neck of the woods this summer - late June, early July - for some time in GNP. It will be our first time there. So if you don't mind me asking: What can we expect at that time of the year? How are the crowds? Any good tips on what NOT to miss while there? We are average day hikers - don't mind long walks but we're not planning on any nights outside of our hotel. Do you have any suggestions for some interesting hikes?

Thanks,
Joe

Joe
Re: Where’re Ya Headed?- NP's 2006 [Re: Joe] #1841
05/07/06 10:47 PM
05/07/06 10:47 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
First, I'm glad you’re headed up this way. The one thing I can say about late June and early July is that it's completely unpredictable. The weather can be nasty, or it can be good! The crowds follow the weather. Over the past 5 years, there has been snow and or cold, cold rain that time of year.

That said, it also can be very nice. You will want to plan to photograph from the east side of the park - Many glacier, St. Mary’s, Two Medicine, etc in the morning, and the west side in the evenings. There likely will be few flowers up high on Logan pass, but there will be a lot of snow, and nice waterfalls. You will find wildlife around Logan that time of year too, if you can see once you’re up there. If it’s snowing or raining it will be difficult. Plan to hit the Cedars and lake McDonald area if the weather is bad. I would concentrate on photographing the middle elevations. Tell me more about what you like to photograph and I can add more.

Keep in mind that weather offers opportunities but also can wreck your plans, so just come with an open mind, and a variety of cloths. Every time the weather throws me a curve, I end up capturing some of my most memorable images. You have to really focus on your photography when things do go as planned. A famous photographer once said, “The sun does not always shine.”

Why don’t you check back with me before you come out and I'll know more then.

Re: Where’re Ya Headed?- NP's 2006 [Re: Tony Bynum] #1842
05/08/06 11:44 AM
05/08/06 11:44 AM
MA
J
Joe Offline
Tracker
Joe  Offline
Tracker
J

MA
Tony - Thanks for this initial information blast.
As for what I like to photograph - mostly landscapes. I like early morning light when I can find it since I tend to be an early riser. I was happy to read that the waterfalls should be in good form as I've recently taken a liking to photograph them.
I was expecting that the weather might not be the most cooperative and planned to bring clothes of everytype. I like to travel in 'carry-on' mode so packing what I will need could be interesting.
I'll definately check in with you just before heading out. Thanks for the offer.

Joe
Re: Where’re Ya Headed?- NP's 2006 [Re: Tony Bynum] #1843
06/05/06 02:12 AM
06/05/06 02:12 AM
J
Jay D Offline
Wanderer
Jay D  Offline
Wanderer
J

Would love to know some hot shooting spots in Banff!! Also I don't know which month to go. I'm in California so the best spring season in Yosemite is in may. Yet in Banff I would not know. Thanks Tony, Jay

Re: Where’re Ya Headed?- NP's 2006 [Re: Jay D] #1844
06/05/06 10:52 AM
06/05/06 10:52 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Hey Jay, did you post on photo.net too? if so go there.

I'm not being a jerk when I say that there is no best time! It's always in motion up there and it's best when I'm there! That said, I like early to mid August and all of september are my favorites. I loved it in february this year when I wen through on my way to Jasper to photograph wildlife, I also love the cold and the snow. Keep in mind that the flora in alpine areas change so fast that one day the flower you want is there and the next it's gone but replaced by another. the growing season is so short that from one week to the next the flowers are different. with some scouting you can find a larger range of flowers, but you have to know what and where to look. get a good buck on albera rocky mountain flowers.

If I were you Id go in early to mid august. AND prep for any weather. I dont forcast the wather but I can tell you that you could get hit with rain, sun and snow all in the same day. Dont be foolish and head off up the trail without proper gear.

Most of all have fun.

by the way go check out photo.net under the nature sectio where the same question was just asked last night. . .

Re: Where’re Ya Headed?- NP's 2006 [Re: Tony Bynum] #1845
06/22/06 09:42 PM
06/22/06 09:42 PM
MA
J
Joe Offline
Tracker
Joe  Offline
Tracker
J

MA
Tony,
You suggested that I write to you just prior to coming to Glacier for any last minutes pieces of information. We leave on Monday and are due to arrive at Glacier International around 2:45 pm. What's the weather been like lately? I read that there was a mudslide on Going To The Sun road a week or two ago that closed it down. Do you know if it has been cleared?
Our plan is to just do day hikes. You suggested a couple in an earlier post - the Cedars and Lake McDonald as well as the middle elevations. Any more suggestions? I also plan to explore the Many Glacier area - possibly making it up to the Ptarmigan Tunnel. What are some of your favorite day hikes?
How is the road that leads up to Polebridge? The map lists it as unpaved. Is it passable by car or is this more like SUV territory?
Any information that you can share will be muchly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Joe; 06/22/06 09:44 PM.

Joe
Re: Where’re Ya Headed?- NP's 2006 [Re: Joe] #1846
06/23/06 06:52 PM
06/23/06 06:52 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
logan pass opens today or tomorrow, it's been closed all year, with limited access from the east side.

car will make it on the pole bridge road, but I did hear the the floods really did some damage in places. the floods were HUGE over there and yes the sun road was completely washed out in places.

mcdonald falls was not even a falls. make sure to check out mcdonald falls an image the it looks like a ripple, and you get an idea of how much water was coming down the river.

PURE SNOW on logan. Last nigh the only signs of growth were a few glacier lillies starting in the exposed areas. I'd hike the hidden lake trail from logan, its all snow, but it would be fun. The highline trail still is closed.

many glacier is awesome!

Lots of great day hikes in Two Medicine, and fewer bears.

Also, cut bank creek is great and accessable.

The prarie flowers are awesome, even thought the balsoms are all done. we had so much rain that it's a great flower year. none on logan yet, but august will be awesome!!!!

Go check the post under "when are you good enough" and you can see a shot GNP in Late august!
I cant wait. have fun, call me when you arrive if you need anything. . . I live on the east side so not likely I'll be over in the ceders or avalanch falls area. . .

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 280 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer