11/14/08 08:44 PM
11/14/08 08:44 PM
west Michigan, USA
jadlh Offline OP
Old hand
jadlh  Offline OP
Old hand

west Michigan, USA
By chance I happen to notice the shape in these two photos resemble eachother. I know the Devils tower is the remains of a volcano, but the shape of the mountain in Yosemite I believe is not a volcano....anyone know?

Devils tower

In Yosemite shot from a moving car

Nolad Mechadesh
Re: These two are amazingly similar [Re: jadlh] #18697
11/15/08 05:00 AM
11/15/08 05:00 AM
Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
PossumCorner Offline
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline
Old hand

Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
Quote:

...but the shape of the mountain in Yosemite I believe is not a volcano....anyone know? ...

Geologists fight and argue about the plutonic-volcanic link, so what would we simple photographers know? Any geologists on the forum? Great shots to compare - it is like 'when is a volcanic plug not a volcanic plug'.

Amazingly similar - but different [Re: jadlh] #18698
11/15/08 11:39 AM
11/15/08 11:39 AM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline
Veteran
glamson  Offline
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

By chance I happen to notice the shape in these two photos resemble eachother. I know the Devils tower is the remains of a volcano, but the shape of the mountain in Yosemite I believe is not a volcano....anyone know?

The shapes in these two photos do resemble each other, but these two formations are very different both visually and geologically. While both are very dramatic, Devils Tower is a true "tower" of rock that rises alone above the surrounding landscape. El Capitan on the other hand is a protruding formation in the massive north wall of the Yosemite valley. Geologically, they are both of igneous origin, but they followed very different paths. Although they are both igneous, the current formations are not really volcanic, but rather are "intrusions" of molten rock that have been exposed by either being uplifted in the case of Yosemite and eroded in the case of Devils Tower. The rock itself is also quite different as Yosemite is granitic as a result of repeated cycles of glaciation while the Tower is still raw igneous rock.

I would refer you to the following links for more detailed info.

Yosemite geology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_the_Yosemite_area

Devils Tower geology
http://www.nps.gov/archive/deto/geology.htm

Geo

Re: Amazingly similar - but different [Re: glamson] #18699
11/16/08 12:55 AM
11/16/08 12:55 AM
west Michigan, USA
jadlh Offline OP
Old hand
jadlh  Offline OP
Old hand

west Michigan, USA
The shapes in these two photos do resemble each other, but these two formations are very different both visually and geologically. While both are very dramatic, Devils Tower is a true "tower" of rock that rises alone above the surrounding landscape. El Capitan on the other hand is a protruding formation in the massive north wall of the Yosemite valley. Geologically, they are both of igneous origin, but they followed very different paths. Although they are both igneous, the current formations are not really volcanic, but rather are "intrusions" of molten rock that have been exposed by either being uplifted in the case of Yosemite and eroded in the case of Devils Tower. The rock itself is also quite different as Yosemite is granitic as a result of repeated cycles of glaciation while the Tower is still raw igneous rock.

I would refer you to the following links for more detailed info.

Yosemite geology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_the_Yosemite_area

Devils Tower geology
http://www.nps.gov/archive/deto/geology.htm

Geo

Thank you for the "rock" lesson, I find it very interesting, I'm always reminded of the addage the more you know...the more you don't know.

Nolad Mechadesh

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 246 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer