11/19/08 06:31 PM
11/19/08 06:31 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
I'm still tinkering with prices. My sitting fee for events and fund raisers just went up 150%, and may go much higher after the first of the year.

My private sittings are going up 95% as soon as I get my webmaster to make the change for me.

Research into pricing has been difficult. Not many people publish their prices, and the ones that do are all across the board. I finally got another local pet photographer to chat honestly with me. It took calling her up, vice email, and giving her a referral to an event I couldn't cover. Turns out, she can't either, but we talked for a long while and are planning to get together next year for a pow-wow.

On my site, I require a deposit that is non-refundable in the event of a cancellation less than 15 days out. I will apply the deposit towards a new session scheduled within 90 days, but I also require a second deposit to reschedule. Same terms, but only $25.

In reality, I've only had one person reschedule so far due to emergency surgery for one of her dogs. I didn't require a second deposit, and would have refunded the original if she couldn't make it.

I put those harsher terms in writing to fend off those who may not be serious about booking my time.

I second the recommendation to shoot for a rescue (or several) to get a feel for what works and what doesn't in a low-risk situation. I still shoot for 13 different rescues on a regular basis as a volunteer.

There is a bit of quid-pro-quo in that I am the first person they come to for photo fund raisers and private portrait sessions.

Beyond that though, you'll get experience working with various temperaments and personalities (both animal and human) which is invaluable.

It is a great feeling when a rescue animal whose portrait you did for the adoption web page comes by your booth for a portrait with a new family.

Re: More: Pricing Photographs [Re: Jim Poor] #18749
11/20/08 12:56 PM
11/20/08 12:56 PM
Oklahoma
T
tresta Offline OP
Tracker
tresta  Offline OP
Tracker
T

Oklahoma
PSmith and Julie

Well I kind of feel like I'm on the right track, because I have been doing the things you're suggesting. I am shooting for a rescue group pro bono. I am shooting friends and colleagues pets; I have told the friends that I am portfolio building and I give them a free print in exchange for them letting me photograph their pet. I am attending classes to brush up my skills and just shooting shooting shooting every chance I get. I am also learning all I can about business.

I have not charged anyone money for my pictures yet.

I do have the worry though that if I offer such a deal to too many people I'll never retrain them, as you say, to pay me for my work. Though I would probably never expect payment from my friends.

I guess I'm doing some things right. Thanks for all the responses. I am willing to put the work in to "get good" I just hope I have something to build on. An "eye" a rapport with the cats, something that will give me an edge someday.

If you're curious, the photos of my Shelter cats are posted on another thread started by james m.

Tori Gregory
Stillwater, OK
Re: More: Pricing Photographs [Re: tresta] #18750
11/20/08 05:16 PM
11/20/08 05:16 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Your definitely on the right track, I would just not advertise for people at this point. Keep doing the same cats for awhile.

It is very hard once you have done someone's animal for free, to charge them later. I only have a few people that I did that with, but, I shot A LOT of their dogs. I still do their dogs for free because they still help me out quite a bit.

The rapport with cats will definitely help quite a bit. Work on lighting, angles, all that kind of good stuff

Re: More: Pricing Photographs [Re: Julie] #18751
11/20/08 05:24 PM
11/20/08 05:24 PM
Oklahoma
T
tresta Offline OP
Tracker
tresta  Offline OP
Tracker
T

Oklahoma
Julie,

I was also curious about something you said in an earlier post; that you got your start in events because you had the timing necessary. Do you mean equestrian events, like 3-day?

I grew up riding hunt seat and later dressage, and as soon as I had a camera in my hand my natural subjects were people and their horses. Sometimes riding, sometimes in competition, sometimes just hanging out together.

I think I am really learning the ins and out of flash photography now, because that is one thing I didn't need/didn't learn in my earlier iterations, beyond "if it's dark, use a flash." Lighting is a very sophisticated art.

Anyway, I was just curious about you. And I wanted to thank you for your thoughtful and generous answers to my posts.

Tori Gregory
Stillwater, OK
Re: More: Pricing Photographs [Re: tresta] #18752
11/20/08 07:04 PM
11/20/08 07:04 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I rode and competed in both hunters and dressage. Those are the two types of equine sports I will shoot. I don't know enough about western events to shoot them WELL.

But yes, timing is everything with horses. Same with dogs. Miss that perfect point in stride or arc in the bascule over the jump, and you need to just delete it.

I am a heavy editor. I do not show what I wouldn't sell or want to see on people's walls. If it is soft, it is deleted. If it is overexposed, it is deleted. If it is noisy, deleted. If the timing is off, to the trash bin it goes!

Even if you aren't photographing fancy cats, the plain old pet cats are just as precious to their owners as the BIS winners are to theirs. The principles are the same. Show off the cat to its best. Make a portrait that people want huge on their wall. To do that, it has to be special, well lit, artistically composed and something that not just anyone can do.

The only thing I do different with my pet dogs vs my show dogs, is show them to their owner as the OWNER wants to see them. What sets a professional apart from someone with a good camera and eye, is being able to see the light. Being able to use the light to make a portrait vs a cute photo

Last edited by Julie; 11/20/08 07:06 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 116 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer