05/16/05 09:43 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

I am debating going to Alaska in September. The problem is that I want to do BOTH the glaciers and Denali. Has anyone been out there? Was it possible to do it for under #3,000?

-JM

Re: Alaska Affordably? [Re: James Morrissey] #185
05/17/05 02:49 PM
05/17/05 02:49 PM
fl,ak
rustin Offline
Tracker
rustin  Offline
Tracker

fl,ak
I lived in SE Alaska last summer working as a raft guide. I am having shoulder surgery tomorrow and if it goes well I am going back. Denali is pretty much closed down by the middle of September. All the bus shuttles stop around the 15th or 20th. There are a lot of nice B&B's. One option you may want to look at is the Alaska Marine Highway. You could take a ferry from Washington and cruise the Inside Passage without a cruise ship price tag. Haines has a Bald Eagle preserve with upwards of 1000 birds around that time of year. Lots of possibilities.

Re: Alaska Affordably? [Re: rustin] #186
05/18/05 11:52 PM
05/18/05 11:52 PM
L
Loopman Offline
Venturer
Loopman  Offline
Venturer
L

I want to second the concept of the ferry services. They are much more affordable than the major cruise lines that go back and forth through Alaska.

Where are you flying in from? I think that depending on where you are flying from, you could do it on less that $3,000. How much time are you going to be there for? If you are a group, have you considered renting an RV and driving?

Lou

Re: Alaska Affordably? [Re: Loopman] #187
05/22/05 01:42 AM
05/22/05 01:42 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

The trip would consist of my father and brother and maybe my wife (she is not sure yet that she wants to come). My family and I will be flying out of Boston.

As for an RV and driving...I am afraid that the distances are too vast. We want to do this in 7 to 9 days.

The other alternative is Banff, which I have never been to. I am eager for more ideas.

Thanks
James

Re: Alaska Affordably? [Re: James Morrissey] #188
05/22/05 01:43 AM
05/22/05 01:43 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

BTW, Rustin, are you still in Alaska?

-JM

Re: Alaska Affordably? [Re: James Morrissey] #189
05/24/05 02:34 PM
05/24/05 02:34 PM
L
Loopman Offline
Venturer
Loopman  Offline
Venturer
L

Hi James,

I think that doing the glaciers and the parks will be difficult to do over 7 to 9 days. Alaska is very large and these areas take time to traverse - forget doing it properly.

The park is relatively 'small' not in size, but because it has very limited transport. It can be done in about 3 days from Anchorage though you may want to be there longer. My opinion is that the minimum time to spend what you are talking about is two weeks.

I have never been there in September, but I would imagine that this is the time of year when things are starting to wind down.

I was looking in my CostCo travel guide the other day. They have cruises relatively affordably for 1 week starting at about 1500 dollars. What you get with that, I do not know. It may be worth the look though.

Lou

Re: Alaska Affordably? [Re: James Morrissey] #190
01/05/06 09:54 PM
01/05/06 09:54 PM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
James,
Did you go to Alaska? If not, get in touch with me and I will help you plan your trip or... your next trip as the case may be. Alaska can be done for $3000 or less and yes you can do Denali and the Glaciers. Most of the Glacier Cruises are only a day cruise. Denali, well that depends on Denali, but 3 to 5 days is good for Denali.

David Ramey Photography
Re: Alaska Affordably? [Re: DavidRamey] #191
01/06/06 09:02 AM
01/06/06 09:02 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hi David,

No, we did not do Alaska. We stuck to the tried and true. I am looking to do Alaska, but it is currently on the front of the back burner. I would really like to get some nice Grizzly shots.

-JM

Re: Alaska Affordably? [Re: James Morrissey] #192
01/07/06 09:29 PM
01/07/06 09:29 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
James, you mentioned Banff as a possibility. I usually go to that area at least once per year. I cannot say you should do Banff or Alaska as they are very both are unique and different. If you go to Banff, for starters you are in another country (the exchange rate is so low right now that it really should not be factored in to your decision making). That said, if you go to Banff, you also could plan to see Jasper, and Waterton to the south. There are many great accommodations and photo opportunities. I would plan the trip for say mid September in order to capture the elk rut and color changes. For flowers you should hit it in August.

I cant say it’s better than Alaska and I cant say Alaska is better than Banff as each person has their likes and dislikes and there just are too many variables – what you want to shoot, how fare you want to travel, accommodations, etc. You could fly into Calgary and do the entire tour on your own with just a rental car. There's a decent photography shop in Calgary too.

You can rest assured that there are plenty of accommodations in the Banff and Jasper area and unless you get off the beaten path, you wont feel like your all alone, but the scenery is truly breathtaking.

Oh yea, one more thing, I think you must aquire a photographhy permit to photograph in Denali. . .

Re: Alaska Affordably? [Re: Tony Bynum] #193
01/08/06 12:44 AM
01/08/06 12:44 AM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
Quote:

Oh yea, one more thing, I think you must aquire a photographhy permit to photograph in Denali. . .

You do NOT need a photography permit to photograph in Denali. You only need a photography permit IF you want to drive your own vehicle into the park.

David Ramey Photography
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 365 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer