NWPBanner
Welcome! NWPphotoforum.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Death Valley photos [Re: James Morrissey] #1954
02/04/06 06:22 AM
02/04/06 06:22 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Sander Meurs Offline OP
Wanderer
Sander Meurs  Offline OP
Wanderer

Joined: Jan 2006
Hi Lou and James,

Lou: I made a screenshot of the before and after settings, and combined them in one image. On the mac you just hit command-shift-4, and you pull a rectangle over the part of the screen you want to capture. The resulting capture presents itself on the desktop. On a pc you can hit printscreen, than open a new image in photoshop and hit paste, your screenshot will appear in the new image.

James & Lou: Yep, around about 80% of the shots are just run trhough ACR like this and that's it. Just resizing for web and adding my signature after that. The other 20% are either right on the money, great from the get-go and need no work at all, or the other side of the spectrum, meaning that they need ACR conversion AND some 10 to 20 minutes of Photoshop.

What I usually do in Photoshop is blending 2 renditions of the same file with differently rendered exposure values. Sometimes, enhancing local contrast, correcting haze-afflicted parts of the image, in a few cases even remove some annoying from the image entirely. Afer this I just hit save and the PSD file sits next to the original NEF in the same folder.

Here's an example of some Photoshopping:



On the top row of the resized screenshot, you see Rogier standing near Ubehebe crater. The middle image was the original, which I duplicated. I darkened the duplicated (left) image with ACR, brightened the original (center) image with ACR, and blended the two into the PSD file (right image), which is now properly exposed for foreground and background.

A more true photoshopping example is in the bottom row, you see the 2 cars, the left one is the original file, but I didn't like the way the cargo door was open, so I removed it and saved it as a PSD file (center image).


Cheers, Sander Meurs http://portfolio.sanderfoto.nl
Re: Death Valley photos [Re: Sander Meurs] #1955
02/05/06 07:36 PM
02/05/06 07:36 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Feb 2005
Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Sander,

Thank you again for the added material. I am going to Death Valley in March and I look forward to stealing some of your techniques, if that is OK with you. Thanks for sharing a lesson or three.

James

Re: Death Valley photos [Re: James Morrissey] #1956
02/06/06 04:32 PM
02/06/06 04:32 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Sander Meurs Offline OP
Wanderer
Sander Meurs  Offline OP
Wanderer

Joined: Jan 2006
Sure James, looking forward to the results of your trip and your blends

This digital blending of exposures is one of the best things available to us photographers, it's the digital equivalent to bringing a complete collection of ND Grads into the field...
Usually I just put the darker exposure on top of the lighter one, and mask it with the gradient tool until it looks good.

I wish they uncluded this simple blending technique in the next version of ACR... Should not be difficult IMHO.


Cheers, Sander Meurs http://portfolio.sanderfoto.nl
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 167 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
montage, Poppy, sheril walker, WbN, sierravalleylabs
3311 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums11
Topics6,562
Posts36,003
Members3,311
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 5.6.40-1+hw3 Page Time: 0.106s Queries: 15 (0.037s) Memory: 0.9005 MB (Peak: 1.9695 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2020-10-27 12:41:22 UTC