01/04/09 07:35 PM
01/04/09 07:35 PM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
Good New Year! In reviewing dog show shooting recently, I have some questions for those of you that attend dog shows. I don't care if it is as the OP, showing your own dogs, or just attending for the fun of it.

Do you attend the vendor space when you go to the show?
Do you buy from vendors and what type of items do you buy?
Do you gift shop for others?
What would you like to see available at the show to purchase?
Could you see photography related items?

If we were to create new items from our photography for the dog show world, how would you market that item and where?
Have you purchased anything that has used photography as its base for an item that had your dog on it?

Peggy Sue
Re: Dog show questions [Re: Peggy Sue] #19631
01/04/09 09:41 PM
01/04/09 09:41 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Yes
Yes, usually crate pads, red barn stuff and treats
Sometimes my kids and they get tshirts/notecards/gifty stuff
Pretty much whatever you want is at a show
I wouldn't, but, I carry my own. I do think people do. You might want to ask Phyllis Ensly at www.petactionshots.com and see what people are buying.

Re: Dog show questions [Re: Julie] #19632
01/05/09 09:40 AM
01/05/09 09:40 AM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
My reason for asking the questions is to create conversation about whether you would like to add your photography to items and sell them. A friend who is always here to celebrate the new year, and shoots many more dog shows than I do, revealed to me that there is a company that has taken one of there items off a clients website and used it on shirts, snow globes and many other items without permission.

Now my questions are to see if you as a photographer would like to add items to your client sales list. Do you want to market more items.

I have done this for all of my photography career but I do not see many other photographers doing the same. I am not sure if it is because you do not know what or how or do not want to take that on.

And as long as I am on this, what would you do if someone took your image and put it on items without permission. Things have been done but I would like to know how you feel.

Peggy Sue
Re: Dog show questions [Re: Peggy Sue] #19633
01/05/09 11:13 AM
01/05/09 11:13 AM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
Quote:

A friend who is always here to celebrate the new year, and shoots many more dog shows than I do, revealed to me that there is a company that has taken one of there items off a clients website and used it on shirts, snow globes and many other items without permission.

And as long as I am on this, what would you do if someone took your image and put it on items without permission. Things have been done but I would like to know how you feel.

First they get a cease and desist order from me. If they continue they hear from my attorney.

This happened to me 6 or 8 times last year...some selling mugs and buttons on eBay, some setting up storefronts on CafePress.

A key part of this is registering your work regualarly with the Copyright office because if you do not then the cost of going after these thieves is hardly worth the effort.

Re: Dog show questions [Re: Peggy Sue] #19634
01/05/09 09:45 PM
01/05/09 09:45 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
PeggySue,

1. Yes we cruise the vendors at most shows.

2. Sometimes. Show collars and leashes. Jewelry.

3. Sometimes. Anything with a Rottweiler on it.

4. At large shows, everything is there. At small shows, the volume curtails the variety. But if you go to Louisville, for example, you'll find vendors of every variety including original photography and art.

5. I've had vendor space at several shows and sold portraits and ring candids. I've also sold generic breed prints. We can produce images on almost anything but people tend to prefer to have their own dogs on those products such as mugs, T-shirts, calendars, etc.

Marketing questions can't be answered generically. I'd have to know what the product(s) was, how it was priced, to whom was it targeted and how was it packaged before I could suggest a marketing/sales program for it/them.

Yes, we've created a Sundance calendar which we've printed and sold with 1/3 of the price going to Rottweiler Rescue. We "advertised" it at a Rottie Specialty and received over 40 orders. All my work is copyrighted. The only stuff that has ever been stolen are show formals.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Dog show questions [Re: Jim Garvie] #19635
01/06/09 12:05 AM
01/06/09 12:05 AM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
I truly love brainstorming. And I thought that this questioning would stimulate some ideas that might help some people to add to their bottom line.

Jim, since I asked you about Wis, and the Arabs but did not connect, will you be in Louisville?

Nice to hear that you will be connecting with Julie. Wish I could be in the cheerleading section since this winter weather here is getting OLD!

Peggy Sue
Re: Dog show questions [Re: Peggy Sue] #19636
01/06/09 09:47 AM
01/06/09 09:47 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
PeggySue,
I didn't respond because we're still discussing next year's calendar -- they loved this one so much they asked us to start working on next year's already. I'm negotiating for a trip to WI to take some photos so when I get that nailed down, you can count on an invitation.

We probably won't be going to Louisville this year. We're discussing it with Kimm now since she's here. She'll be at Westminster and want's us to try to get there. That's after Indianapolis Specialties and she wants us there. And we don't have anything to show now with Rowdy retired except the puppies that are owned by other people. So I need to find some clients to pay the way.

I love the Louisville shows so I'm pushing for them especially if her Special, Caesar, continues to be #1. He's just picked up 4 Group Ones in a row!!! I'll post some pics later. Today, I'm off to shoot a Dane Specialty (one tomorrow, too).

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing Julie and cheering Dot on to her Championship. That will be much fun. Full reports to come (and maybe even some photos).

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Dog show questions [Re: Jim Garvie] #19637
01/06/09 10:34 AM
01/06/09 10:34 AM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
Quote:

The only stuff that has ever been stolen are show formals.

Jim

Jim,

How do you keep up with this? I only know something is stolen when one of my customers or publishers reports back to me asking if I have approved certain use. I feel like I only catch a few of those who are out there. Just on Cafepress there are tens of thousands of designs using feline images, not worth my time to go through. With Rottweilers it is only a few thousand:

http://shop.cafepress.com/rottweiler

Sorry, PeggySue I didn't mean to hijack the thread with this, but part of your question was about stolen work and if there is a better way to discover the stolen work I would love to learn how.

Re: Dog show questions [Re: psmith] #19638
01/06/09 12:46 PM
01/06/09 12:46 PM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
Preston, no problem. I love to see threads continue no matter what direction they go. Like a good conversation, sometimes they go off onto different avenues.

Regarding taking of images for profit or personal use. Somehow the people who take photos for themselves see they are different than those that take for profit of selling items. I really do not see that there is or should be a difference.

The Orphan Law will effect this industry greatly should it go through. Anyone know where that stands right now?

Jim, contemplating KY but might just send work for them to sell. Vendors are down now. Mixed, since less competition means more viewing but the economy may be a challenge. Like you, I need the trip to be a monetary advantage.

Peggy Sue
Re: Dog show questions [Re: Peggy Sue] #19639
01/06/09 01:45 PM
01/06/09 01:45 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Quote:

The Orphan Law will effect this industry greatly should it go through. Anyone know where that stands right now?

It failed last year, but will probably rear it's ugly head again too soon for my tastes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 359 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer