01/06/09 07:15 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Preston,
what I meant was that people use my show photos on websites, mugs, etc. without paying for them. I know because when I don't get paid, I check websites. It's easy with show dogs because there is always a kennel name associated with the dog and it's easy to find them with a simple Google Search.

As for people who "steal" them for use in calendars, books, etc., no I haven't actually seen that. Most of the folks who publish that type of product know that they need copyright releases and most of them know they'll get them if they simply ask. A woman from England published a book last year and contacted me for some Rottie show photos. I asked for -- and received -- copyright information and identification of the dog. It happened to be Sonny, the father of our first Cassidy litter who finished the year as the #7 Rottweiler. Sonny was recently euthanized due to osteocarcoma of the spine and I was able to present a copy of the book to his owner. That meant a lot to her.

Also, I don't just shoot Rotties -- although it sometimes feels that way . I shoot All Breed shows so I have to monitor 138 breeds.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Dog show questions [Re: Peggy Sue] #19641
01/06/09 07:26 PM
01/06/09 07:26 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
PeggySue,
last year in Louisville, we saw many non-traditional vendors including some really talented photographers with non-traditional images and viewpoints. It actually helped stimulate my creative juices. I don't have any idea how they sold but I did enjoy seeing their product.

That cluster is the largest cluster of All Breed shows in the country so if you can't sell it there, you can't risk it anywhere else, IMHO.

We have a Farmers Market that recently opened every Saturday in a village square setting near to where we live. The manager is looking for somebody to photograph pets either there or to book them to be shot elsewhere. They met Rowdy and saw me with a camera and, amazingly, put 2 + 2 together and asked me if I would be interested. I asked if I could sell other things like calendars, merchandise and photographic artwork. They said "yes". So we're going to give it a try putting our booth next to Doggy Diva Dog Treats. In case we need something to bait our "clients".

That type of non-show venue seems to have some low-cost, low-volume potential for moderate income. Plus, it's fun for us and our own dogs who can act as model consultants .

In a recessionary economy, discretionary spending will decline. It always does. And what I do is clearly discretionary. So I have to devise new venues, new products and new ways to market my photography. It's always fun to have a challenge.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Dog show questions [Re: Jim Garvie] #19642
01/07/09 02:12 PM
01/07/09 02:12 PM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
If William Wegman can do it so can we!

Peggy Sue
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 514 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer