Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Guys,

This was my first portrait session with the 5d taken on Friday. It is a beautiful camera, and I am looking forward to doing two more sessions on Monday with it. I am still getting used to it...so far, so good though. The files are absolutely HUGE...3744x5616...or 60.2 megabytes a file, uncompressed. So large, I don't quite know what to do with them. Having said that, they give you a huge amount of room to crop with.

They take about 23 seconds to process with my new desktop (which handled my 10d files in about 6 seconds) which has a quadcore processor and 8 gigs of ram on board.

My only gripe so far has been the AF. It definitely seems slower than the 40d. Having said that, it gets the job done. The images are razor sharp.

James

Last edited by James Morrissey; 01/11/09 02:55 AM.
Re: Bindy - Canon 5dii Portrait [Re: James Morrissey] #19756
01/11/09 08:20 AM
01/11/09 08:20 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Great images, James. That last shot is a killer!

Glad you like the 5D Mk2. Play around with the autofocus and see which settings work better for what you're shooting. And keep in mind the Bindy shoot was black on black -- tough for any camera.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Last edited by jimgarvie; 01/11/09 08:20 AM.

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Bindy - Canon 5dii Portrait [Re: Jim Garvie] #19757
01/11/09 01:16 PM
01/11/09 01:16 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks very much, Jim. Yes, you are right...the last shot is my favorite of the bunch - by far...though I think they are all very solid. Believe it or not, this was the shortest shoot I have ever done. The entire shoot - from setup to break-down was only about 1/2 hour. I took 13 shots total. They were mostly all winners. Usually, I work well over an hour and a half to get a portrait done...and recently I had to put in 2 1/2 hours to get the shots I wanted (I will show some of those later when I am done processing them).

As to the AF on the 5d...yeah, you are right. I was shooting black on black and that is tough. There was not much natural light in the room and I was doing it without the AF assist enabled. Having said that, the 40d n-e-v-e-r hunts when set to the same settings. However, as I did not bring the 40d with me, I cannot say that for sure that it is less or more sensitive...only that I THINK it is. :P My experience is that the AF on the 40d is fast and accurate. This (the 5d) hunted around quite a bit at one point. Ultimately, I got the shots (quickly I will add), but next time the AF assist (the red light) will be going on.

I am photographing a cocker and a cat on Monday evening, and possibly an older guy later this week...so we will see how it works out. I also need to update the firmware. I have the older 1.06 on it...and I was definitely getting the black dots in and reflected areas (such as in the eyes).

James

Re: Bindy - Canon 5dii Portrait [Re: James Morrissey] #19758
01/11/09 03:43 PM
01/11/09 03:43 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Those are so adorable! I love bostons though. I almost chose bostons when I got into purebred dogs. My friends talked me into the whippets. I still adore bostons though!

Re: Bindy - Canon 5dii Portrait [Re: Julie] #19759
01/11/09 05:37 PM
01/11/09 05:37 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, guys, for the feedback. I posted two of the images on DPR, and someone actually called them 'soft to the point of being out of focus.' LOL, I was appalled!

On another note...the ball. What do we think about the ball in the last shot? Keep it or let it go? I like the added color to the image, but I could see where some might find it distracting.

James

Re: Bindy - Canon 5dii Portrait [Re: James Morrissey] #19760
01/11/09 07:41 PM
01/11/09 07:41 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
I say keep it. The last image is the best of the series for me.

Re: Bindy - Canon 5dii Portrait [Re: James Morrissey] #19761
01/11/09 09:44 PM
01/11/09 09:44 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
James,
some of the folks on DPR need new monitors, new glasses or both . Lots of opinions and very little knowledge. The only soft things on that forum are the brains of the people who spend far too much time pixel-peeping at 100%.

Keep the ball. It's an element that helps make the image as good as it is.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Bindy - about the ball [Re: James Morrissey] #19762
01/12/09 04:13 AM
01/12/09 04:13 AM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline
Veteran
glamson  Offline
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

Thanks, guys, for the feedback. I posted two of the images on DPR, and someone actually called them 'soft to the point of being out of focus.' LOL, I was appalled!

On another note...the ball. What do we think about the ball in the last shot? Keep it or let it go? I like the added color to the image, but I could see where some might find it distracting.

James

James,

Congrats on the moving up to FF. One of these days I'll have to make that jump too. I always love getting to know a new piece of technology.

I'm not surprised that you got called for soft images on DPR if you posted at this same resolution. Anyone pixel peeping at web resolutions can't really be serious. I'm sure if you posted one of those 60 Mb monsters (if you could upload a file that big) there wouldn't be any comments about softness.

Now about the ball. I think the red color is a good counterpoint to the black and white. However, I do have a couple of problems with it, since you asked. There was something that was catching my eye with the ball and I realized it was the flash catch reflections. It was acting just like an eye catch light and drawing my eye away from the face. The other thing was the composition. I got a real sense of unbalance to the right side. The ball is pretty heavy visually and the added black space made the image too heavy on the right side for me.

But to tell you the truth, my biggest distraction was that OOF rear foot on the left side. With the black on black of the leg, the free floating rear foot kind of looks like some kind of little critter back there.

Anyway, FWIW, if it were mine, I would have done it something like this. I also tried to clean up all the light reflections in the eyes a little and reduce them down to just a single catch light in each eye.

Geo

Re: Bindy - about the ball [Re: glamson] #19763
01/12/09 10:53 AM
01/12/09 10:53 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
love the image james. i think geo has a point about the foot, however if youre going to take out the foot, you have to take out the rear knee for the same reason. . .

I love the shot james, it's great. I think if you took the knee out and the foot, you'd be way within your bounds as a photographer.

Re: Bindy - about the ball [Re: Tony Bynum] #19764
01/16/09 12:35 PM
01/16/09 12:35 PM
Illinois
julief Offline
Journeyman
julief  Offline
Journeyman

Illinois
James - lovely images and there is nothing "soft" about them. I love the last image -- it shows such personality. Leave the red ball in. Leave the oof foot in, just burn it a bit to tone down the white. I would burn the "catchlights" on the ball a bit, but I like the catchlights in the eyes as they are in your original. Love the image.

Julie Ford
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 355 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer