01/13/09 07:30 PM
01/13/09 07:30 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
For the past 11 days, the Florida Circuit of Dog Shows have been taking place in and around Orlando Florida. Starting tomorrow, they go on for another 5 days. The first 4 shows were held in Deland, about 30 miles NorthEast of Orlando at an indoor venue. All indoor venues are a challenge because there is never enough light to take any decent action shots. Deland is even more difficult because the CarbonArc lights are synched at 60 HZ which means they pulse. You don't see it with your naked eye but you certainly see it in long runs of 6.5 fps which is how you take moving shots of dogs. Needless to say, there are some technical challenges.

The next set of shows are held outdoors in Brooksville, about 50 miles West of Orlando high on a hill where cattle normally graze . Insert photo of dog burying nose in ground! The outdoor venue provides a lot of opportunities for getting really good action shots -- provided you can position yourself where you get a good side angle on the action. That's not always possible with inside rings, morning light and all the stuff that makes our jobs more difficult.

The Deland shows started on January 2 and our handler, Kimm McDowell drove down from Michigan to show her new Special, Caesar for those shows. Except that she blew her transmission in Tennessee. After renting a van, driving down and making it here in time to show, she needed some kind of break. And she got it: Caesar (Ch Loral's Number One Caesar) took all 4 Best of Breeds and 4 Group 1s in Deland to position himself as the #1 Rottweiler early in 2009.

We had the pleasure of having Caesar and Kimm stay with us along with 1 girl from a friend or ours, one puppy boy and Juneau, Sundance's sister who we bred. The house was full! Caesar and I immediately become good friends and beside the obvious physical and structural excellence he possesses, I realized that Caesar is a very special boy with outstanding temperament. Of course, he's a Rowdy great nephew so that could have something to do with it . Here are a few shots from the early shows in Deland. ISO 1600 and primes -- no alternatives inside.

First is an in-ring head study of Caesar.

Next, a shot of him taking his first Group 1.

And an indoor moving shot.

As I said, indoor moving shots are difficult because you seldom can get shutter speeds above 1/250 which does not freeze all the movement, especially the legs.

Once we moved to Brooksville, there was plenty of light for some decent ring movement shots. Here's one.

As well as a beauty shot or two.

Now, in addition to trying to get some decent shots of Caesar for advertising, I was also the Bucket Bitch (not meant to be offensive -- the "person" who backs up the handler in and out of the ring) and had two puppies showing, one in Deland and the other in Brooksville. And, we had Juneau, Sundance's sister from the previous Cassidy litter, showing in Open Bitch trying to get her last two majors. Not to mention the Toy Poodles, Dobes, Danes, Standard Poodles, etc. I had been asked to shoot.

You've seen photos of the recent Cassidy litter but I'm not sure I've shared images of Juneau, Sundance's sister, from the earlier Cassidy/Sonny litter. Here's Juneau on her 2nd birthday.

BTW, did I mention that I also shot 2 Collie Specialties and 2 Great Dane Specialties over this same period? It's been a busy time here in sunny Orlando.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Photographing Dogs on the Florida Circuit [Re: Jim Garvie] #19794
01/13/09 08:52 PM
01/13/09 08:52 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
whoa! That bitch has some reach and drive!!!!

You find my Dottie on Friday and you take her picture!! My naughty Dottie has had a couple of talking to's and she is going to behave and show like a doberman. She promises.

Re: Photographing Dogs on the Florida Circuit [Re: Julie] #19795
01/14/09 08:56 AM
01/14/09 08:56 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Julie,
getting to the Whippet ring on Friday is one of my priorities!

Thanks for the comments about Juneau. She is a very pretty girl with excellent movement and a very strong back. I'd like to work off that ripple behind her neck and her body's a little longer than ideal, but her back is hard and she doesn't break down going around. And she is extremely sweet.

If clearances come (she was 2 on Jan. 4) our plan will be to breed her to Caesar in 6 months or so. Cross your fingers.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Photographing Dogs on the Florida Circuit [Re: Jim Garvie] #19796
01/14/09 09:59 AM
01/14/09 09:59 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
There is no perfect dog. That's a *really* nice rottie though and even me, who has no knowledge of the breed can recognize that. The freedom of her shoulder amazes me.

Looking at Cesaer, I can see why that would be a really nice cross. I am sure she will pass her clearances. That will be a very exciting litter.

You won't be able to miss Grahm with Dot. Grahm is tall and thin, Dot is all white, with black ears. Not like you haven't seen both their photos.

My flight lands in Tampa at 5pm, so, I should be to Brooksville by 7pmish. I will be there all day Saturday. I have two clients to shoot and then I am free. We will HAVE to meet!

I am 5ft tall, with really short brown hair and you have seen my photo. I am short and that tends to make me stand out in a crowd. I didn't eat my vegetables as a child

Re: Photographing Dogs on the Florida Circuit [Re: Julie] #19797
01/14/09 11:16 AM
01/14/09 11:16 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Julie,
is Dot showing in Open Bitch?

I'm actually toying with the idea of sending you a pic of me but I'm not sure I'm that brave. Did you know that cameras capture a piece of your soul? I'm pretty sure I could pick you out of a crowd. Besides, I'll be walking around with my white 70-200 lens which makes me somewhat noticeable.

We're very happy with Juneau. She was pick puppy in our Cassidy/Sonny litter and was the most gorgeous puppy we ever bred. She got that shoulder extension from her mom and that topline from her Grandpa, Rowdy. But her headpiece is pure Heika, Sonny's mom, who was a Top 10 Bitch in 2005.

I always sweat the OFAs. She's clear for Heart and Eyes but hips and elbows in large breeds are never a lock regardless of how they move. If she doesn't clear for any reason, we'll probably breed Cassidy one more time and we'd go to Caesar as well since the cross is a good fit. Of course, since he's only 20 months old, he'll have to pass OFAs, too. Kimm will do them both at the same time and in the same place (Michigan State) so we'll know in a few months.

See you on Saturday. Don't worry. We'll find you.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Photographing Dogs on the Florida Circuit [Re: Jim Garvie] #19798
01/14/09 11:40 AM
01/14/09 11:40 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Are you guys speaking english? Freedom in the shoulder, OFA? Makes my head spin!

From a lay-person's point of view, I can say Wow, what pretty dogs!

Hey Jim,
Isn't there a photo of you on here somewhere from back during the puppy threads?

Re: Photographing Dogs on the Florida Circuit [Re: Jim Poor] #19799
01/14/09 03:07 PM
01/14/09 03:07 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Careful, Jim, you and that photographic memory of yours is going to get us both in trouble . I think you may be right. Let me go browsing and if it turns up, I'll delete it!!

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Photographing Dogs on the Florida Circuit [Re: Jim Garvie] #19800
01/14/09 04:54 PM
01/14/09 04:54 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
It may not sound like english, but, are very important things when it comes to breeding. Keeps the healthiest that are less likely to produce problems(like hip displaysia or heart issues)

Freedom in the shoulder is what allows Juneau to have so much reach in front. Its beautiful to watch a dog who can move well. They seem effortless and like they are floating

Re: Photographing Dogs on the Florida Circuit [Re: Julie] #19801
01/14/09 05:03 PM
01/14/09 05:03 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Hee hee. Blue shorts and maybe a gray shirt I think

Julie,

Yep, I understand the concept, just not all the jargon yet, but I'm learning.

I've got two shows booked (both obedience rather than conformation) in the next couple months and my apprenticeship program at PNI is teaching me quite a bit.

We're headed down to class tonight with Snowball, though I think we should have re-named him something like TAZ!

Re: Photographing Dogs on the Florida Circuit [Re: Jim Poor] #19802
01/14/09 05:49 PM
01/14/09 05:49 PM
North Carolina, triangle area
wallyspop Offline
Old hand
wallyspop  Offline
Old hand

North Carolina, triangle area
Quote:

Hee hee. Blue shorts and maybe a gray shirt I think

You are correct Jim. Unshaven and absolutely horrible legs!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 363 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer