01/18/09 04:22 PM
01/18/09 04:22 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
As some of you noticed from last week's posts, Julie Poole's Whippet girl, Dot, was in Brooksville, FL to try to finish her Championship (just needs 1 point). I've been covering the Brooksville shows for the past 2 weeks so I was looking forward to not only photographing Dot, but actually meeting Julie face-to-face.

Julie had told me that she hides when Dot shows so I knew we wouldn't actually see her until after Dot had been in the ring. Linda and I (and Rowdy) sat ringside and watched the boys show and then the girls until, finally, Open Bitch went into the ring. I recognized Dot and her handler from some of the images that Julie has posted so I had no difficulty getting into position for some shots. These are kinda in chronological order: it was a large Open class so the judge lined the girls up along one side to take an intial look at them. Here is Dot being set up by her handler before the initial go-around.

The judge then examines each dog individually and watches them coming & going and then going around. Here's a shot of Dot on the go-around. BTW, this shows you why Dot only needs 1 point to finish -- this is perfect movement.

BTW, that light pink spot on Dot's left rear leg is not a marking. It's actually the light shining through a very thin patch of skin that Whippets have in their rear legs.

While in the ring, Dot stopped by to visit with a friend who was watching from outside the ring: a 7-month old Papillon. I thought this was a lovely interaction.

And then, finally, the judge lines them up and makes her choices for 1st through 4th. Here's how Dot looked on that final review. She finished 2nd in her class on Saturday. Not what we had hoped but very good given the level of competition.

I don't know how Dot did today because we were shooting Toy Poodles and I couldn't get over to the Whippet ring but I'm hoping to hear from Julie that she won.

Oh, and for those who are curious just what Julie Poole is like: she's exactly what you would expect from her posts on the forum. Julie is a charming, attractive young woman who you immediately feel that you've known your entire life. She's bubbly, outgoing, a little scatter-brained (forgot her cell phone when in hiding so I couldn't reach her) and simply a joy to spend time with. Rowdy gives her two paws up (doesn't have thumbs) and now that we've met, I'll be able to read her posts in her own melodious Southern drawl.

It's nice to know that the relationships we form on this forum translate into the "real world" of actually being with each other. Linda, Rowdy and I enjoyed the opportunity and hope to have it again in the near future.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Julie's Whippet, Dot [Re: Jim Garvie] #19870
01/18/09 09:01 PM
01/18/09 09:01 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Thank you Jim!!!!!!!!! My only regret is I didn't get to spend more time with you and Linda! Both Jim and his wife are wonderful. I could have chatted for much longer, but, I was hailed to do photos. Since I did fly down there for that one day, I had to run.

Unfortunately, I am not a little scatterbrained, I am a LOT scatterbrained! I am really good at keeping my phone with me, unless I need it!!

I am so glad to have met Jim and Linda, it was very cool to actually talk with someone face to face. I can't thank you enough for the photos!!!! They are wonderful

Re: Julie's Whippet, Dot [Re: Julie] #19871
01/18/09 09:12 PM
01/18/09 09:12 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
So, what happened today?

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Julie's Whippet, Dot [Re: Jim Garvie] #19872
01/18/09 10:11 PM
01/18/09 10:11 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Dot did NOTHING today. Though, if it isn't for points anymore, it just doesn't matter

I think it is funny people find me to have a southern accent. I just can't wrap my mind around it

That picture with the papillion is about the cutest thing I have ever seen!!!

Re: Julie's Whippet, Dot [Re: Julie] #19873
01/19/09 11:00 AM
01/19/09 11:00 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I found out McGuire's sister won out of the open class and she finished, so, that is a good thing!! If it isn't gonna be me, it might as well be one I like or a friends!(or both)

Re: Julie's Whippet, Dot [Re: Julie] #19874
01/19/09 12:01 PM
01/19/09 12:01 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Julie,
the Florida Circuit is a very large, very competitive series of shows. Handlers come in from all over the country to get their Specials off to a good start. The top dogs in every Group were showing in Brooksville.

So, for Dot to have done as well as she did in a very competitive Open Class, is outstanding. You should be proud.

Oh, and it's not just that there are a lot of good dogs -- there is also just a smidgeon of politics involved with these shows . In case you didn't notice.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Julie's Whippet, Dot [Re: Jim Garvie] #19875
01/19/09 10:18 PM
01/19/09 10:18 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I would never believe there were politics in dog shows! Say it isn't so!

Re: Julie's Whippet, Dot [Re: Julie] #19876
01/20/09 01:19 AM
01/20/09 01:19 AM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
Julie, I do have a bridge I would like to sell you!

Peggy Sue
Re: Julie's Whippet, Dot [Re: Peggy Sue] #19877
01/20/09 09:33 AM
01/20/09 09:33 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
And some waterfront property here in Florida that you'll really love (glub, blub)!

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Julie's Whippet, Dot [Re: Jim Garvie] #19878
01/20/09 09:55 AM
01/20/09 09:55 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I saw some of that beautiful waterfront property from the plane. Too bad you can't walk on it

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 351 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer