02/24/09 01:28 PM
02/24/09 01:28 PM
NY
AdoptAPet Offline OP
Tracker
AdoptAPet  Offline OP
Tracker

NY
Last night after the Teddy Test I moved to a live kitty. I think the reason I needed to do this is because of my lack of knowledge/experience. What I mean by this is that when doing the ?TT? and moving the lights I noticed the final outcome was different each time, but couldn?t really see the specifics until Preston broke it down for me with crops, pictures and explanations. Because of the experience you all have you know what to look for and see the obvious.

I have taken so many kitty pictures that I thought it might be easier for me.

In this first photo it was better than a lot of what I had been getting previously, but still not right (and I am not sure why). Unless now the answer might just be that I need a better camera?

Then I used ACDSee photo editing software and did an auto color change

Then an auto contrast change

and finally and auto color, contrast, brightness change

Do any of these look right (for lack of a better word) to you?

Thanks,
Barbra

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: AdoptAPet] #20620
02/24/09 01:37 PM
02/24/09 01:37 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
To my eyes, the last two look best.

The original is slightly over exposed.

On camera choices, are you set on Canon?

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: psmith] #20621
02/24/09 01:41 PM
02/24/09 01:41 PM
NY
AdoptAPet Offline OP
Tracker
AdoptAPet  Offline OP
Tracker

NY
Quote:

1. your budget?
2. what else you plan to do if anything besides studio adoption shots?
3. is getting new memory cards a problem budgetwise?
4. if you do want to print, how large?
5. are you buying used or new?

I am not really sure. I would say $1,000, but have no idea if that is realistic.
I have no clue what memory cards cost, but in the past whenever we have taken in an animal that needed surgery (a major cost) and we have no funds ? I have managed to find it. So getting a camera, etc. is something that has the potential to save many lives and I will do my best to find the needed funds.

LOL I AM OPEN TO DONATIONS AND PITTY SALES IF ANYONE HAS EQUIPMENT THEY ARE NO LONGER USING

Right now we rarely print, but if I am going to do this I would think it best to leave all options open so that I don?t have to keep upgrading.
- I know someone that works for Canon and once we figure out what equipment I need I will give her a call and see if she can do anything.
I am open to new or used. Whatever you say.

Thanks,
Barbra

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: AdoptAPet] #20622
02/24/09 01:44 PM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
The first one looks best to me. Look at the color of the fur between the eyes, isn't that the 'real' color of the cat? Compare that to the same spot on the others. Auto color seldom works well with cats. However, on this particular cat you could try setting a white point left front paw (that is pure white, right?).

Also look at what your corrections did to the shadow on camera left.

I see two catchlights in the right eye but you must have had the light on camera left much further away to be casting the shadow like that?

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: Jim Poor] #20623
NY
AdoptAPet Offline OP
Tracker
AdoptAPet  Offline OP
Tracker

NY
Hi Jim,

With the original what should I have done differently with the lights to produce a better end result?

I am not set on anything at this point. The two cameras I listed were both recommended and they just happen to be Canons. Additionally, I do know someone that works for Canon, so she might be able to help.

Barbra

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: psmith] #20624
02/24/09 01:52 PM
02/24/09 01:52 PM
NY
AdoptAPet Offline OP
Tracker
AdoptAPet  Offline OP
Tracker

NY
Quote:

The first one looks best to me. Look at the color of the fur between the eyes, isn't that the 'real' color of the cat?

Yes. That is the one that shows the real color.

Quote:

Auto color seldom works well with cats. However, on this particular cat you could try setting a white point left front paw (that is pure white, right?).

Setting a white point?

Quote:

Also look at what your corrections did to the shadow on camera left.
I see two catchlights in the right eye but you must have had the light on camera left much further away to be casting the shadow like that?

I really didn?t know what ?catchlights? were, so went back to the photo and I see them. See this is what I mean. That is something I NEVER noticed before!!!! Yes you are 100% correct as the lights are still set-up from last night and camera left is further back!

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: AdoptAPet] #20625
02/24/09 01:59 PM
02/24/09 01:59 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
I fear we're getting into a "too many cooks in the kitchen" situation here with all of us trying to help and probably confusing things even more :O

I must confess to not knowing what the "true" colors of the cat in the photo are, but I like the last two. That said, they could be completely "wrong" compared to reality.

I'm going to sit back and let the others do the advising.

That said, the first one looks over exposed by just a bit, so I measured it and there are some areas that are really close to being totally blown out. I got a lot of 253-254 readings.

The second looks like there is a bit of a color cast introduced by the auto correction.

I prefer the darker face in the last two, but again I don't know how dark that is in reality. Not to confuse things too much more, but we don't even really know what you are seeing on your monitor, which I'm assuming isn't calibrated, so it could conceivably look purple to you and we would never know.

What you could do with the lights is really a catch 22. You could back them up a bit, but then your shadow is going to get even worse because the relative size of the light compared to your subject would be smaller.

You could hang a piece of thin white fabric (far far away from any hot bulbs) between the light and the subject to soften things a bit.

That's another reason I prefer the CFL bulbs. I don't have to worry so much about starting a fire.

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: Jim Poor] #20626
02/24/09 02:12 PM
02/24/09 02:12 PM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
Jim you are right. It could be purple. On my monitor the first one is a blue point, the second one is mink. Given what I saw of the cat the blue seemed more likely to be correct. Sorry to jump on your reply, we were answering at the same time.

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: psmith] #20627
02/24/09 02:13 PM
02/24/09 02:13 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
No worries at all. I noticed that we must have been typing at the same time.

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: psmith] #20628
02/24/09 02:16 PM
02/24/09 02:16 PM
NY
AdoptAPet Offline OP
Tracker
AdoptAPet  Offline OP
Tracker

NY
Quote:

If you are able to document a non-profit tax status and provide a few references of your rescue work, I may have a tip on keeping your shelter's cost down. Or if this is also for personal use I have my opinion on models just like many others here on the board.

I should be able to provide both.

Personal use? hahahhahah I have NO personal life! It's ALL about the cats.

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 323 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer