Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
Quote:

Setting a white point?

There used to be a 'color cast' function in ACDSEE that allowed you to identify a white point. That is, you would pick the white point tool and click on the photo where you know there is pure white, then the software would correct everything else around that.

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: AdoptAPet] #20630
02/24/09 08:44 PM
02/24/09 08:44 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Barbra, before jumping into a camera, go to the stores, hold them, price them and see what you need. I had a 5mp Olympus E-1 that I easily printed beautiful 16x20's from.

Lenses mean much more than a camera body. If you want a 20D only because Helmi uses one, well, you really need to research the cameras first.

ANY of them will produce far superior shots to a point and shoot. Megapixels don't mean much and for what you do, it really isn't a big deal between 8 and 21.

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: AdoptAPet] #20631
02/24/09 08:45 PM
02/24/09 08:45 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Barbra, before jumping into a camera, go to the stores, hold them, price them and see what you need. I had a 5mp Olympus E-1 that I easily printed beautiful 16x20's from.

Lenses mean much more than a camera body. If you want a 20D only because Helmi uses one, well, you really need to research the cameras first.

ANY of them will produce far superior shots to a point and shoot. Megapixels don't mean much and for what you do, it really isn't a big deal between 8 and 21. 20D's are fairly cheap now as they are a few generations old, so, it wouldn't be a bad model to find gently used.

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: Julie] #20632
02/24/09 09:18 PM
02/24/09 09:18 PM
NY
AdoptAPet Offline OP
Tracker
AdoptAPet  Offline OP
Tracker

NY
Hi Julie,

That's hard to do because I am clueless as to what I need and/or the difference between them. Also, caring for so many sick, injured, abused, pregnant and nursing kitties I only get out about once a week. That trip usually consists of a quick run to the grocery, pet store and vet. TG for the internet! :-)

I am waiting to hear back from Jim and Preston about cameras and Preston might have a "tip" on costs.

Thanks,
Barbra

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: psmith] #20633
02/25/09 06:21 AM
02/25/09 06:21 AM
Long Island, NY
F
FarleyDog Offline
Wanderer
FarleyDog  Offline
Wanderer
F

Long Island, NY
Quote:

The paper Julie mentioned is background paper, As you can see, there are many colors and widths to choose from. 53" is probably wide enough for your purposes. Although you can reuse it, it is a disposable material and can get expensive if you need to discard after every use. White is the most problematic in this regard.

Hi Barbra,
There have been a lot of good suggestions for you. I notice that you are in NY. I am too. I think I have some background paper in storage that I will probably never use and I can donate it if you can pick it up. I would also be willing to show you a few tricks based on your comments that will get you better pictures. My main office is in West Hempstead,NY on Long Island. Pet Photography is my only business and along with my staff, we have photographed over 50,000 pets. Here is a recent interview in Newsday http://www.newsdaypetpages.com/articles.php?articleID=12

I don't know how to imbed an image here so I attached a picture.

regards,
Richie

Attached Files
20854-kitchair.jpg (40 downloads)
Last edited by FarleyDog; 02/25/09 06:27 AM.
Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: FarleyDog] #20634
02/25/09 12:46 PM
02/25/09 12:46 PM
NY
AdoptAPet Offline OP
Tracker
AdoptAPet  Offline OP
Tracker

NY
Hi Richie,

Thanks so much for getting in touch and for your generous offer!

What is your schedule like for being at the studio in West Hempstead (are you there on weekends)?

I am bottle feeding a litter of babies that I hope I can move on to food by the weekend (which will enable me to be able to sneak out for a bit).

Your attached picture is adorable. :-) Where do you find the little furniture? I find that with adoption photos the props do help. We have hard a time finding miniature items. We did come across some jewelry boxes which have worked great for our photos. I have been to the various craft stores and there are about a half dozen of us that try to keep our eyes out at garage sales and the likes, but haven?t had much success.

Thanks,
Barbra

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: AdoptAPet] #20635
02/25/09 12:57 PM
02/25/09 12:57 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
What about kid furniture, large doll furniture, etc?

Think Barbie Cars and such, though the stuffed fire engine is adorable.

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: AdoptAPet] #20636
03/02/09 11:40 AM
03/02/09 11:40 AM
Arkansas
W
wyldaire Offline
Wanderer
wyldaire  Offline
Wanderer
W

Arkansas
I am so pleased to find this. I sort of do a bit of rescue but mainly raise a few and I mean a few of very good Exotic short hair persians. I live in a part of Arkansas where there are no shows close and when one Exotic goes to a show there is often not a photographer. I got very lucky and PSmith was at a show and one of my young cats was photographed. PSmith did everything right and sent photo to my web master. I keep looking for him at shows where my cats go but no luck yet. Helmi is wonderful too and I am very enamoured of her style too. I do not have a good camera but have been able to get a few shots to send on to prospective buyers. If you look on my website wyldaire.org you will see that it is only a shell due to lack of photos. I am going to keep up with this site and see what I can learn. PSmiths is the only pro shot. I can not travel much due to my age and also that I still work full time. I am so glad to find all this info. I will keep trying. Wish there was a Preston here or a Helmi within a couple of hundred miles. The rescue pictures are pretty darn good. Keep up the good work. pmn

Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: AdoptAPet] #20637
03/15/09 03:22 AM
03/15/09 03:22 AM
Long Island, NY
F
FarleyDog Offline
Wanderer
FarleyDog  Offline
Wanderer
F

Long Island, NY
Quote:

Hi Richie,

Thanks so much for getting in touch and for your generous offer!

What is your schedule like for being at the studio in West Hempstead (are you there on weekends)?

Hi Barbra,
Sorry I haven't had time to stop by the forum. My backdrops are actually in Island Park, in the Public Storage facility., not in my studio. I take it you are on Long Island too??
If you want to meet me there one day you can. Let me know what days and times you are available to meet me there.

I find my small furniture and other props everywhere. Tag sales, garage sales, ebay, kids stores, etc. and of course, most of the backdrop companies also sell props.

I attached a picture for you.

Richie

Attached Files
21364-catrose.jpg (38 downloads)
Re: SAVE A LIFE! ? Need to know basics [Re: FarleyDog] #20638
04/19/09 11:00 PM
04/19/09 11:00 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Everyone,

This is what Chanthee was able to save from the initial thread. Without any exaggeration, Chanthee worked on this from about 11:30 AM until a few minutes ago, in addition the time she spent accumulating the data over the last several days. We still have no clue as to why this thread was deleted.

As I have mentioned to some who have asked, this was not as easy as just doing a system roll-back, as that would have had a huge impact on everything else that has been posted since this thread went down. I am deeply indebted to Chanthee for taking her time to produce this.

James

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 347 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer