04/30/09 09:19 AM
04/30/09 09:19 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Now that I think about it, I color correct peoples JPG files all the time. Still if I were shooting JPG, I'd want a custom WB, but technically, it can be done in post.

Custom White Balance [Re: AdoptAPet] #20660
04/30/09 11:52 AM
04/30/09 11:52 AM
NY
AdoptAPet Offline OP
Tracker
AdoptAPet  Offline OP
Tracker

NY
Custom white balance has been a major thorn in my side. My photos either come out with the yellow or blue haze and yes some of them can be fixed in the editor program I am using (not Photoshop, but hoping after kitten season to take a PS class).

I have read the manual many times and go step by step in setting the CWB yet the photos are still not correct, so I feel I am missing something. My first question is when you look at the EXIF file it states the photo is manual WB even after I just set the CWB. Would the EXIF show custom white balance if I set it correctly? Next question is that when following the instructions for setting the CWB and using the white paper the manual wants me to be in manual focus (which I do). Can anyone explain why?

WB was a major problem with my point and shoot, but now I am using the Canon Rebel 300D. Either I am totally lost or it is broken LOL.

Last night I had a major break through (I feel like I am in “My Fair Lady”) By George she’s got it! While I still have a WB and CWB problem I realized I am confusing light issues with WB. Additionally, the breakthrough came on metering. I thought that when metering the light I was to get it to zero and VIOLA a correctly lit shot. Noooooooooooooo. I realized last night the meter is a guide to correct the exposure!!! DUH!!!!!!! Yes, I feel like an idiot, but what a difference. A shot that was taking me an hour to get… last night I got 10 of them in about 10 minutes!!!

This is pretty much what I was getting for each photo:

After I realized the correct way to utilize the meter I got these shots:

What do you think? Are these better? Your thoughts on the two tone (BG/FG)?

Thanks,
Barbra

Re: Custom White Balance [Re: AdoptAPet] #20661
04/30/09 12:27 PM
04/30/09 12:27 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Very cute. Love those eyes.

Personally, I don't care for the two colors for the background in this case. If you had more (a lot more) distance between the subject and background the transition would be less harsh and (to me) more pleasing.

I can't speak to Canon cameras, so I'll leave that bit to others.

Re: Custom White Balance [Re: Jim Poor] #20662
04/30/09 12:34 PM
04/30/09 12:34 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
I played around with this one a bit. I straightened the horizon, got rid of a couple creases, did a levels adjustment, cropped and ran my Kill Highlights and Kill Shadows actions on it.

Not necessarily better, just different.

Attached Files
Re: Custom White Balance [Re: Jim Poor] #20663
04/30/09 12:47 PM
04/30/09 12:47 PM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
This is interesting and I never noticed it before but in the JPG EXIF I can only see white balance = auto or manual whereas in my RAW files I can see the specific white balance in the Camera Raw section of the metadata. So I assume that 'manual' would be any of the modes other than 'auto'.

There is also some talk among Canon users that the custom white balance may work better in some cases using an 18% grey card. Go figure.

Regarding your white balance issues, you should try shooting a frame using the correct exposure, only with your hot lights turned off...if the frame is not dark - nothing on the histogram --- then you are getting mixed light from sources other than your hot lights.

Re: Custom White Balance [Re: Jim Poor] #20664
04/30/09 12:56 PM
04/30/09 12:56 PM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
Why are you trying to use a "custom white balance"? You don't have mixed lighting. Just set the camera to the color temperatures of your bulbs, which should be around 2900K to 3400K.

David Ramey Photography
Re: ABC’s of Digital Photography and Digital SLRs [Re: AdoptAPet] #20665
04/30/09 01:22 PM
04/30/09 01:22 PM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
Quote:

Hi Preston,

I think in the beginning David told me to use one too (maybe for the teddy bears though). I have noticed NO difference (with the exception of back pain. I have not yet been able to set a stage at proper height so I am in some pretty funny positions to get the shot). I guess the smart question for me to ask is why you don’t use a tripod (so I am asking)?

The use of the tripod was for the teddy bear test so that you could concentrate on lighting instead of holding a camera. The use of teddy bears was so that you could concentrate on lighting instead of moving animals. If you are getting back or neck pain from using a tripod, then you probably are not using the tripod correctly or using the wrong tripod for the job. I don't use a tripod of animal portraits, but when I do use a tripod, I can use it for 16 hours and NOT get back or neck pain.

Quote:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I forgot (just looking over my notes now) the other thing I learned is never ever ever delete a photo from the disk in the camera. He stressed this very strongly explaining how it will corrupt the disk (of course I had been doing this all the time). He said to format the disk.

He doesn't know what he is talking about. I delete from the card all the time and have done so for over 8 years and over 1 million photos and have NEVER corrupted a card. You do need to format the card ( He is right about this). What can corrupt a card is to insert or remove the card with the camera still turned on. It won't corrupt the card everytime, but can and I have had it happen to me.

David Ramey Photography
Re: ABC’s of Digital Photography and Digital SLRs [Re: DavidRamey] #20666
04/30/09 04:51 PM
04/30/09 04:51 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Interesting that somone would make a comment about the historgram (one of photographys BEST tools to come out in years) like this. Usually people who make largly dismissive statments like that are full of cow feces. ;~)

Sounds like somone who lucked into some kind of notariaty and has very little technical ability.

Roman

Re: Custom White Balance [Re: Jim Poor] #20667
05/01/09 08:29 AM
05/01/09 08:29 AM
NY
AdoptAPet Offline OP
Tracker
AdoptAPet  Offline OP
Tracker

NY
Quote:

Very cute. Love those eyes.

If you remember in one of the first posts I explained I LOVE all the pointed kitties and try never to let one go down. They all have blue eyes and that is why I can’t use a flash. …and that is what got me to the NWP.

Quote:

Personally, I don't care for the two colors for the background in this case. If you had more (a lot more) distance between the subject and background the transition would be less harsh and (to me) more pleasing.

Hopefully I will be switching to strobes and then I will have distance between the stage and BG (with a strobe in-between).

Barbra

Re: Custom White Balance [Re: Jim Poor] #20668
05/01/09 08:33 AM
05/01/09 08:33 AM
NY
AdoptAPet Offline OP
Tracker
AdoptAPet  Offline OP
Tracker

NY
Jim,

You have to forgive me.... When I go into the editing programs I start to lose it. After a few minutes of changing the lighting I can no longer tell which is better (Is it my eyes or do you all get that way?). I must be getting really bad now, because I really don’t notice any difference from your corrected bmp to my original.

I even waited until morning to look again with fresh eyes.

Barbra

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 350 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer