05/01/09 08:36 AM
05/01/09 08:36 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Yep, I remember. Blue eyes doesn't necessarily preclude you from using flash. They are just a lot less forgiving than other colors.

To make the transition more pleasant in a two-tone background, you will need more room between the subject(s) and the rear of the stage too.

Quote:

Sounds like somone who lucked into some kind of notariaty and has very little technical ability.

Sounds more like different strokes to me. I don't know the person originally referenced, but Moose Peterson is hardly lacking in technical ability.

Re: Custom White Balance [Re: AdoptAPet] #20670
05/01/09 08:39 AM
05/01/09 08:39 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Actually, you'll have to forgive ME! Looks like I attached your original instead of my edit. I'm on the road for the rest of the weekend and the edited version is on my office machine.

<< Slaps self in forehead!

Quote:

Jim,

You have to forgive me.... When I go into the editing programs I start to lose it. After a few minutes of changing the lighting I can no longer tell which is better (Is it my eyes or do you all get that way?). I must be getting really bad now, because I really don’t notice any difference from your corrected bmp to my original.

I even waited until morning to look again with fresh eyes.

Barbra

Re: Custom White Balance [Re: Jim Poor] #20671
05/01/09 11:19 AM
05/01/09 11:19 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Quote:

Sounds like somone who lucked into some kind of notariaty and has very little technical ability.

Sounds more like different strokes to me. I don't know the person originally referenced, but Moose Peterson is hardly lacking in technical ability.

Wasnt talking about Moose Peterson (I actaully like him...)

Was talking about the Steven Hirsch character (The person who gave a very unimpressive class and told the class the histogram is useless....even went to look at his work, and I wasnt really impressed.

Roman

Re: ABC’s of Digital Photography and Digital SLRs [Re: DavidRamey] #20672
05/01/09 05:40 PM
05/01/09 05:40 PM
NY
AdoptAPet Offline OP
Tracker
AdoptAPet  Offline OP
Tracker

NY
Quote:

If you are getting back or neck pain from using a tripod, then you probably are not using the tripod correctly or using the wrong tripod for the job.

Most definitely! I have not yet gotten a stage set-up for my use. I keep changing it as I learn of new problems. I started with a big aluminum folding table and put some boxes on that for height and shooting at eye level, but the kittens thought it was a gym and had a blast jumping off the boxes! I put up with that for a short time. The table is just too wide. I then built a stack of boxes against the wall (which was better because it gave me more room to move the lights around (not that I can get control of them anyway), but with the boxes the stack is too low, so I have to twist, turn and curl to get the shot at eye level. If I add a box then I am shooting up and that’s no good. This too is temporary until I can figure out what works.

As for deleting from the disk while in the camera the way the instructor explained it was comparing it to the computer and how when you add and delete files it leaves spaces on the HD. We can defrag the computer to fix this, but you cannot defrag a card. He convinced me at the time

When I was downloading the pictures from the camera (slowwwwwww) the good thing was that if I went and took another 20 shots the next time I went to D/L the camera knew there were 20 new shots and just downloaded the new ones by default. Now that I am using the reader in my printer (super fast) I am unable to do that. I have to click “view” instead of download and then figure out which are the new ones, highlight them and download. My question is can I format the card every time after downloading to my computer?

Thanks
Barbra

Re: ABC’s of Digital Photography and Digital SLRs [Re: AdoptAPet] #20673
05/01/09 06:16 PM
05/01/09 06:16 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Quote:

My question is can I format the card every time after downloading to my computer?

Provided you have the files copied to your computer and backed up, then you should reformat your card after every session. That way makes keeping track of things much easier than having to try to figure out which files are new and which are old.

Re: ABC’s of Digital Photography and Digital SLRs [Re: AdoptAPet] #20674
05/01/09 07:25 PM
05/01/09 07:25 PM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
Quote:

As for deleting from the disk while in the camera the way the instructor explained it was comparing it to the computer and how when you add and delete files it leaves spaces on the HD. We can defrag the computer to fix this, but you cannot defrag a card. He convinced me at the time

He is flat out wrong and doesn't know what he is talking about. Yes when you delete files, it does create spaces but when you download the photos onto the computer and then reformat the card it does fix those spaces. And you can defrag a CF card. I have reformatted and defraged CF cards on the computer. After I reformat the CF card on the computer, then I format in the camera. You have to be careful and NOT change the file structure. It is ok to delete photos from the CF card while in the camera.

David Ramey Photography
Re: Back Light - Need help :-) [Re: AdoptAPet] #20675
05/02/09 02:22 AM
05/02/09 02:22 AM
Maryland
Bright Eyes Offline
Wanderer
Bright Eyes  Offline
Wanderer

Maryland
No but that's the shelter I spent so much time volunteering. Those are another photographer's work and she works her tail off. My stuff is here:
http://brighteyespetphoto.com or here:
http://brighteyessanctuary.org (obviously some of the photos on here haven't had their studio shots yet).

So for theses little animals, I get on average 4000 hits a month. That's just for my little rescue, when I did that shelter's rabbit photos, I easily got a lot more than that because of the additional exposure of the larger shelter. And I found it easier to find adopters through the shelter than my rescue as well. So I did that as long as I could. I have been keeping a watchful eye on things lately but am not directly involved at the moment.

That's often quite close to twice as many hits as other area rabbit rescues though. I know that location is also part of that too.

How many hits are you getting per cat say on a Thursday (busiest night on Petfinder) for your best cat photo?

Quote:

Hi Patricia,

Yes PF is one of the venues I use. How many hits are you getting?

Are these your photos http://search.petfinder.com/shelterSearc...=&preview=1

As for the props I will keep trying it with and without and closely monitor the results. I am open to either and anything else that will help get the kitties homes.

You are right about the descriptions too. I rarely have time to even work on those.

Thanks for your input – it is appreciated.

Barbra

Inspired By Paws
Re: Back Light - Need help :-) [Re: Bright Eyes] #20676
05/02/09 07:51 AM
05/02/09 07:51 AM
NY
AdoptAPet Offline OP
Tracker
AdoptAPet  Offline OP
Tracker

NY
Patti,

They are soooooooo cute! I never happened upon an all bunny site! We would be comparing apples to oranges, so it is hard to say. Most of the cat rescues I speak with are getting about 1,000 or less. We too were getting about 1,000, but since I started with the new camera and new photos we have jumped to about 4,000 a week. We got the camera and started posting the better photos in March.

January 4,945 views
February 5,940 views
March 12,071 views
April 12,482 views

This increase is due 100% to the help from the people on this forum!

It's interesting, because Thursday is not our busiest day. It seems to change with the weather (and yippee we are in for a week of rain when I have black cats arriving)! Wednesday is usually our best adoption day.

What are you using for a back light and where is the light placed?

Thanks,
Barbra

Re: ABC’s of Digital Photography and Digital SLRs [Re: DavidRamey] #20677
05/02/09 07:56 AM
05/02/09 07:56 AM
NY
AdoptAPet Offline OP
Tracker
AdoptAPet  Offline OP
Tracker

NY
Quote:

After I reformat the CF card on the computer, then I format in the camera.

I believe you and will do as you do

Now I have an Uh Oh. Am I supposed to be reformatting the card on the computer? I just download the photos from the card reader in my printer to the computer then place the card back in the camera and go to the menu and hit "format."

Barbra

Re: ABC’s of Digital Photography and Digital SLRs [Re: AdoptAPet] #20678
05/02/09 11:43 AM
05/02/09 11:43 AM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
Barbra,
I would recommend to you that you only format the CF card in the camera. On the computer, you run the risk of changing the file format that could make the card not work inside your camera.

David Ramey Photography
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 349 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer