02/24/09 12:39 PM
02/24/09 12:39 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Let me start this post with a minor rant: the prejudices about intact male dogs. I've been taking my guys to one of the dog parks here in Hunters Creek and that includes both Sundance and Rowdy, two intact males (sometimes together -- gasp). Folks are generally very uncomfortable when I bring one of those guys into the park -- until they start interacting with the other dogs. Rowdy courts the ladies and plays with the younger males. Sundance simply plays with everyone.

Last evening, we took Rowdy and Sundance together. I don't know how other breeds play, but Rottweilers love to stalk each other during a play session. It starts out with one of them catching the eye of the other and freezing them with a glance.

Then, the other dog locks into the stalk.

Slowly, they start to move toward each other.

Until they reach a point where they both freeze and stare -- the Faceoff.

After a few seconds, this stage is followed by the most blood-curdling move a Rottie can make: The Pounce!

And, finally, a discussion between the Victor (Rowdy) and the Vanquished (Sundance). Note how much bigger Sundance is than his Grandfather!

There were people outside of the park watching this tableau and when it was over, they just laughed and applauded. The boys went on to chase tennis balls and each other around the pavilion. Two intact males behaving in a very civilized manner. Oh, and they are Rotties. Even more amazing!

The Spay & Neuter extremists would have us believe that intact male and female dogs cannot interact with other dogs without aggression caused by those darned sex hormones. I don't believe that is any more true of dogs than of people. I do believe that dogs that are not being or going to be bred should be neutered or spayed. But dogs that can contribute to the next generation of their breed with physical and psychological soundness, should be allowed to do so. Sundance is Rowdy's grandson. He shares his temperament. Our breed needs more kids like that.

Hope you enjoyed the Battle!

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Clash Of The Titans [Re: Jim Garvie] #20748
02/24/09 09:53 PM
02/24/09 09:53 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I am only going to post these for fun, because Rottweilers are supposed to be so evil and whippets to delicate and sweet

Re: Clash Of The Titans [Re: Julie] #20749
02/25/09 09:35 AM
02/25/09 09:35 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Julie,
as I was viewing your post, Sundance looked up, saw the shots of your Whippets, whimpered and then slinked off to the corner to chew on his rubber bone. "Those are evil dogs, daddy" he said.

Indeed!!

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Clash Of The Titans [Re: Jim Garvie] #20750
02/25/09 10:22 AM
02/25/09 10:22 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Great series Jim!

We have been spending a lot of time in my apprenticeship class discussing the myths and urban legends attached to our furry friends. We were just starting to talk about intact males interacting with neutered males last night. It is pretty amazing how ignorant some "dog people" really are.

Julie,

Are you sure those vampires should be out in daylight like that? The slobber really makes those!

Here is my own version on the theme - Princess Haley:

As an interesting side note, she only does this on command and only for my wife. I can't get her to do "snarl facey" for anything!

Re: Clash Of The Titans [Re: Jim Poor] #20751
02/25/09 11:56 AM
02/25/09 11:56 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I know, the title of the photo was "Evil Bitches" as its the girls that start it. Mostly Dot. She plays ROUGH. Funny thing is she will submit to dogs she doesn't know. Has great dog manners but that is HER McGuire. They play like this all the time. There has only been one bleeding incident and she accidentally nicked the inside of his ear. Barely a scab.

I don't think I have seen many breeds play as rough as whippets. Probably Jack Russells! All the others move into fighting if they act like this.

You know my neighbors think I run a dog fighting ring here

Re: Clash Of The Titans [Re: Julie] #20752
02/26/09 11:41 AM
02/26/09 11:41 AM
Illinois
julief Offline
Journeyman
julief  Offline
Journeyman

Illinois
Julie - I agree, the SPIT makes the photo. Here are a couple of other big breed dogs playing the snarl game.

Big dogs play in big ways!!

The Mouth Game

This is one of my favorites. I love the look on the face of the bitch on the right (Cleo). These are 2 intact bitches. The bitch on the right (Izzy) can get an attitude, so I keep a close eye on her.

A winter basketball game between a dog and a bitch.

Julie Ford
Re: Clash Of The Titans [Re: julief] #20753
03/12/09 04:42 PM
03/12/09 04:42 PM
Florida
Square Dog Offline
Wanderer
Square Dog  Offline
Wanderer

Florida
I know these ae low quality, but they make me laugh. First my rat terrier...

and then my schnorkie

Both taken completely out of context, but both make me chuckle.

_______________________________________________ Eric Wilson
Re: Clash Of The Titans [Re: Square Dog] #20754
03/12/09 05:36 PM
03/12/09 05:36 PM
Atlanta GA
BIRDPOND Offline
Venturer
BIRDPOND  Offline
Venturer

Atlanta GA
Hehe Julie, be careful who you show those whippet photos to, otherwise they'll become one of those notorious 'dangerous enough to ban' breeds!

Cathy "I like photographs that look like paintings."
Re: Clash Of The Titans [Re: BIRDPOND] #20755
03/12/09 08:05 PM
03/12/09 08:05 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Ah, yes, and the irony is that Rotties already are .

Slurps from TDI and Delta-Certified Therapy Dog, Rowdy.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Clash Of The Titans [Re: Jim Garvie] #20756
03/12/09 10:28 PM
03/12/09 10:28 PM
Atlanta GA
BIRDPOND Offline
Venturer
BIRDPOND  Offline
Venturer

Atlanta GA
Jim, speaking of 'dangerous dogs', my poor 100 lb GSDs (another breed which is banned in many places) are ruled by a whispy little 12 lb. mix of uncertain ancestry.

I was going to show the whippet photos to her, but the last thing I need to do is give her ideas!

:- )

Cathy "I like photographs that look like paintings."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 540 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer