05/25/09 12:17 AM
05/25/09 12:17 AM
Los Angeles
OlympusGuy Offline OP
Old hand
OlympusGuy  Offline OP
Old hand

Los Angeles
I rarely get to photograph wildlife (unless I'm at a drunken party), but when I was shooting a luncheon lecture at UCLA the other day, I had the opportunity, as you see!

(Now ... just how the devil do I upload the pix?)

It's about how well you treat yourself and others. http://www.picturetrail.com/la.digiphoto
Re: Wildlife in the City [Re: OlympusGuy] #23027
05/25/09 04:46 PM
05/25/09 04:46 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Hello Leonard:

Here is the link to instructions for doing so:

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/faq.php?Cat=0#image

It is really pretty easy. Just upload the photo(s) you want to share to your PictureTrail account, then copy the URL to the link and paste it between the image tags as described in the FAQ above.

You can also check the "I want to preview my post and/or attach a file." box, hit continue, then click on the browse button to navigate to the image on your computer. If you do it that way, the image(s) will be uploaded to NWP's server. The image(s) will not appear in the text of your message and readers will have to click on the attachment link at the top of your message to open it in a new window.

Hope this helps!

Jim

Re: Wildlife in the City [Re: Tucson Jim] #23028
05/27/09 06:20 AM
05/27/09 06:20 AM
Los Angeles
OlympusGuy Offline OP
Old hand
OlympusGuy  Offline OP
Old hand

Los Angeles
Thanks James! Now I see that check box, and will apply it. Here then are the results of my unexpected foray into the wilds of UCLA:

This little guy was foraging among the salted nuts while the rest of us were inside listening to a lecture about therapy dogs by David Frei of Angels on a Leash.

Leonard

Attached Files
23282-KM-18.jpg (42 downloads)

It's about how well you treat yourself and others. http://www.picturetrail.com/la.digiphoto
Re: Wildlife in the City [Re: OlympusGuy] #23029
05/27/09 09:19 AM
05/27/09 09:19 AM
Channelview, TX, USA
R
robertj Offline
Tracker
robertj  Offline
Tracker
R

Channelview, TX, USA
Always like seeing a good squirrel shot, keep them coming.

Quote:

Thanks James! Now I see that check box, and will apply it. Here then are the results of my unexpected foray into the wilds of UCLA:

This little guy was foraging among the salted nuts while the rest of us were inside listening to a lecture about therapy dogs by David Frei of Angels on a Leash.

Leonard

Re: Wildlife in the City [Re: OlympusGuy] #23030
05/27/09 10:21 AM
05/27/09 10:21 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Leonard,
great shot! Foraging into the wilds to get these types of shots must be exhausting . BTW, how was the lecture?

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Wildlife in the City [Re: OlympusGuy] #23031
05/27/09 08:35 PM
05/27/09 08:35 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Leonard:

I love it!! Really cute the way he's hanging over the rim looking inside the cup. Great timing.

BTW, if you link to the image on your photo-sharing account, you don't necessarily need to upload it to NWP's server.

Jim

Re: Wildlife in the City [Re: Tucson Jim] #23032
05/27/09 11:17 PM
05/27/09 11:17 PM
Los Angeles
OlympusGuy Offline OP
Old hand
OlympusGuy  Offline OP
Old hand

Los Angeles
Thanks guys! Here's a more "normal" shot of the little raider:

Jim Garvie: "How was the lecture?" It was a combination of high interest and schmaltz. I was much more interested in how the specially trained therapy dogs help out the disabled -- especially wounded military -- than I was in the show dogs. Personally I can't stand to see animals gussied up with ribbons and hairdos and combed trimmed fur, and bred into strange shapes and sizes. I like 'em natural, where dogs look like dogs and cats look like cats (and squirrels look like squirrels)!

Leonard

Attached Files
23305-KM-17.jpg (42 downloads)

Re: Wildlife in the City [Re: OlympusGuy] #23033
05/28/09 07:55 AM
05/28/09 07:55 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Leonard,

Quote:

I like 'em natural, where dogs look like dogs and cats look like cats (and squirrels look like squirrels)!

Sundance takes offense to that remark !

Mostly, I was interested in whether they distinguished between Service Dogs (who help the disabled) and Therapy Dogs that entertain and bring love and companionship to adults and children in need. Also, whether they talked about the certification organizations such as The Delta Society and Therapy Dogs International. Rowdy is certified by both but I was wondering if the speaker discussed the differences between them and why certification was important.

Clearly, the squirrel was not threatened by that environment and seemed to be enjoying the entire experience!

Jim

Last edited by jimgarvie; 05/28/09 07:57 AM.

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Wildlife in the City [Re: Jim Garvie] #23034
05/29/09 11:44 AM
05/29/09 11:44 AM
Los Angeles
OlympusGuy Offline OP
Old hand
OlympusGuy  Offline OP
Old hand

Los Angeles
Jim said: "Mostly, I was interested in whether they distinguished between Service Dogs (who help the disabled) and Therapy Dogs that entertain and bring love and companionship to adults and children in need."

The talk was divided into two subjects: show dogs and both therapy and service dogs. He had a PowerPoint presentation that mixed them together, which did proper service, really, to neither subject. Be that as it may, I was VERY impressed by both the service and therapy dogs. The rest was of the "pink tutu" variety (oh lord)...

Leonard

Re: Wildlife in the City [Re: OlympusGuy] #23035
05/29/09 05:25 PM
05/29/09 05:25 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Leonard,
seeing Sundance -- all 135 lbs of him -- in a pick tutu makes people smile. And that's the objective. By himself, Sundance is a very imposing animal. But bows and other "costumes" soften him to the point where people are willing to touch him. And that's where the "therapy" in Therapy Dogs comes in. Once you've hugged Sundance and had him lick your ears, you'll feel much better. About everything.

Therapy Dogs share their joy of life with people who may not have had much of that recently. They do it without prejudice. They do it for children in wheelchairs or in cancer wards and Alzheimers patients in Convalescent homes. They do it without feeling pity or being judgmental.

Of all of the things I've done with my dogs over the years, Therapy work is the most important and the most rewarding personally. I give thanks every day that I have dogs that can do it. For that, we have truly been blessed.

Jim

Last edited by jimgarvie; 05/29/09 05:27 PM.

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 357 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer