Channelview, TX, USA
R
robertj Offline OP
Tracker
robertj  Offline OP
Tracker
R

Channelview, TX, USA
A couple picture of a tufted titmouse. This is a fast moving bird. I was never able to get focus lock before the bird moved on. The two shots here I had to pre-focus to get the bird in focus. Any suggestions on how to get better results with fast moving birds?

Re: Tufted Titmouse [Re: robertj] #23057
05/26/09 05:56 PM
05/26/09 05:56 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Robert,

I am newly into birding myself. It is quite an adventure for me because it is so incredibly difficult. Personally, I think you did a great job when you mention all of the factors involved.

As to what could possibly have been better? LOL, if you don't know where they are landing, it is hard to guess when you are pre-focusing. On the second shot though, it looks like you pre-focused on the board and not the bowl, so the bird is just slightly soft. Am I right?

James

Re: Tufted Titmouse [Re: James Morrissey] #23058
05/26/09 07:28 PM
05/26/09 07:28 PM
Channelview, TX, USA
R
robertj Offline OP
Tracker
robertj  Offline OP
Tracker
R

Channelview, TX, USA
Thanks James, It does look like I might of missed focus on the secound shot. When I have a camera in my hand I get about two seconds to get the shot. Without a camera the bird will just sit there.

Quote:

Hey Robert,

I am newly into birding myself. It is quite an adventure for me because it is so incredibly difficult. Personally, I think you did a great job when you mention all of the factors involved.

As to what could possibly have been better? LOL, if you don't know where they are landing, it is hard to guess when you are pre-focusing. On the second shot though, it looks like you pre-focused on the board and not the bowl, so the bird is just slightly soft. Am I right?

James

Re: Tufted Titmouse [Re: robertj] #23059
05/26/09 08:20 PM
05/26/09 08:20 PM
Southern Ohio USA
Randall Offline
Traveler
Randall  Offline
Traveler

Southern Ohio USA
HI Robert
There is a trade off between fast shutter speed to stop motion and depth of field to keep all of the bird in focus and speed of film "ISO from 100/ 1600" depending on your camera to not introduce noise and still have enough light.
That said I try to keep my ISO around 200/400 on my D2X which seems to need more light than my D100, enabling me to keep a little more DOF which keeps more of the bird in focus.Do you use manual setting or all automatic. If you are prefocusing try to imagine where the eye is in relation to his perch. If you can give him a perching place where he will want to land just prior to his feeding spot , where he can hop down to. Having good natural light also helps. Keep your shutter speed above 250 if possible, titmice and chickadee's and others have real quick darting movements and the speed helps eliminate that. What kind of camera/lens do you use, give us more info and we can help more .

thanks for sharing hope this helps Randall

Randall-FINE ART -- FOR THE HOME AND OFFICE[url=http://:fineartamerica.com/shop/randallbranham.html
Re: Tufted Titmouse [Re: Randall] #23060
05/27/09 09:31 AM
05/27/09 09:31 AM
Channelview, TX, USA
R
robertj Offline OP
Tracker
robertj  Offline OP
Tracker
R

Channelview, TX, USA
Thanks for the helpful information. I used an Olympus E-510 with 70 - 300mm lens @ 190mm on the bowl shot.

A-P
Spot metering
F8
1/50 sec
IS1
ISO 400

Quote:

HI Robert
There is a trade off between fast shutter speed to stop motion and depth of field to keep all of the bird in focus and speed of film "ISO from 100/ 1600" depending on your camera to not introduce noise and still have enough light.
That said I try to keep my ISO around 200/400 on my D2X which seems to need more light than my D100, enabling me to keep a little more DOF which keeps more of the bird in focus.Do you use manual setting or all automatic. If you are prefocusing try to imagine where the eye is in relation to his perch. If you can give him a perching place where he will want to land just prior to his feeding spot , where he can hop down to. Having good natural light also helps. Keep your shutter speed above 250 if possible, titmice and chickadee's and others have real quick darting movements and the speed helps eliminate that. What kind of camera/lens do you use, give us more info and we can help more .

thanks for sharing hope this helps Randall

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer