R
rabhobbes Offline OP
Tracker
rabhobbes  Offline OP
Tracker
R

Fl
Hi all,
If anyone has done a charity-related pet photo thing before, maybe you can give me some ideas of what works or doesn't.
I am going to be shooting at a dog-related venue soon, with a studio setup. I'm donating 20% of my sitting to the sponsor.
I'm torn on the best (least hassle!) way to structure this. I'm thinking of doing a 3-tier approach, giving the client their choice up front of the following:
A ... $15 sitting fee, and they go online to order any prints or merchandise they want (prices will be outlined to them beforehand) I have a shopping cart set up so they pay and it all goes directly to them.

B...$20 fee, they get an electronic file emailed to them.
C ...$30 fee, they get a 5x7 directly mailed to them, they don't have to do anything after the sitting.

Is this too complicated?

Rebecca Brittain

www.rebeccabrittain.com
Re: Best way to price/structure this? [Re: rabhobbes] #23260
06/05/09 05:35 PM
06/05/09 05:35 PM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
D. $25, and they get a 4x6 contact sheet printed out immeditately with your online sales address on it. They then go online to order more prints.

Just a suggestion. That separates the sitting fee (donation) from further sales.

Re: Best way to price/structure this? [Re: psmith] #23261
06/05/09 06:37 PM
06/05/09 06:37 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
I think Preston's right in separating the sitting fee, from which you derive the donation, from the product prices. Whether the right answer is $25, $15 or some other amount depends on where you are, how many people you expect to get, etc. But the sitting fee and some reference to where to view and order the prints/merchandise seems to me to be the right answer. I try not to include anything in the sitting fee except the sitting. Product is always separate.

Good luck,

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Best way to price/structure this? [Re: Jim Garvie] #23262
06/06/09 08:55 AM
06/06/09 08:55 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
On-site proofing for portriats is a real pain unless you have a staff of four to do it that can work independently of you.

Still, if you don't take advantage of the impulse buy by selling on-site, your sales will be much lower.

I shoot rescue fund raisers for 15 different groups in my area and through trial and error have found what works best for me. The prices might need to be adjusted a little, but the structure is the same.

I charge $25 per sitting and donate 40% back to the rescue. At $10 per sitting they get more than if I do a lower percentage of total sales, plus tracking the online sales and figuring the donation is a pain. People will wait months to order and then you are forced to make multiple donations or set a deadline.

To get the on-site sales, I offer pre-paid packages at a discount plus free shipping. So far, only two people have asked "What if I don't like any of the proofs?" I tell them that they will get a refund of the print order (not the sitting fee), but that I'm sure they will like what they see.

All my packages are "mix-n-match" and if someone purchases a package at the event, they get at event pricing in the web gallery too (but I don't say this at the event to keep everyone from buying package #1 and "upgrading" later.)

My packages are set up in such a way that 80% of folks buy the middle two and about 10% each buy the lower two or package # 5. Package # 6 is in there just in case someone really wants to spend money. I started including it two events ago and have sold one package #6 at each of the two events.

My rescue pricing is totally different from my dog sport pricing as well as my private sitting pricing. Here is a screen capture of the price list I use at rescue events. The "Save $xx.xx" includes the savings of free shipping.

At my most resent rescue fundraiser we had 27 sittings, 25 pre-orders and two "I'll wait for the proofs." Of the two who waited, one ordered and one hasn't. We sold on Package #6; 18 package 2/3, and 6 package 1/2.

On including a free image:
Including one 5x7 print for free will cut into your profit and add a lot of time. You still have to pay for shipping unless your going to do a mass delivery for folks to pick up.

For a while, I included "one digital 5x7" which could be downloaded from my shopping cart. I don't do that anymore unless the rescue asks me to.

Last edited by Jim Poor; 06/06/09 08:57 AM.
Re: Best way to price/structure this? [Re: Jim Poor] #23263
06/07/09 10:00 AM
06/07/09 10:00 AM
Fl
R
rabhobbes Offline OP
Tracker
rabhobbes  Offline OP
Tracker
R

Fl
Thanks everyone for the suggestions...Jim P, thanks for taking the time to post all your info! I have come up with a "hybrid" system I am going to use based on your packages and my situation.

Will post when it's all over, one way or another...

www.rebeccabrittain.com

Rebecca Brittain

www.rebeccabrittain.com
Re: Best way to price/structure this? [Re: rabhobbes] #23264
06/07/09 01:24 PM
06/07/09 01:24 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Good luck!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 304 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer