03/14/06 12:19 PM
03/14/06 12:19 PM
L
Lost Offline OP
Wanderer
Lost  Offline OP
Wanderer
L

I am new to this forum and would like to say hi. I am new to Digital photography and need a good not expensive tripod and head I don't have a lot of money around am retired and would like to get one that is strong and a fair ball head for my D-200. Would like some help and suggestions on what kind and where to get one thank you very much . Jim

Re: Tripod [Re: Lost] #2460
03/14/06 06:45 PM
03/14/06 06:45 PM
J
JeffDinPA Offline
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline
Old hand
J

I went with the Bogen/Manfrotto 3221WN/488RC2. Rated at 13 lbs or so, I find it very stable for only $260. The 3221WN are not the lightest, smallest collapsing or the strongest, but I find that they meet a happy medium. Very strong and capable.

A lot of people opt for 3001/486RC2. But I wanted a taller tripod and one that was somewhat stronger. I assume that since you are on this forum you are interested in wildlife photography, and the 3221WN legs are geared toward that. They have padded grips, and rubber feet with retractable spikes. All of which I've found handy. I use a D70 with a 300f4 on here with good stability.

These are similar cheaper options also.
3021/488RC2

3021/486RC2

I think you will find many varying opinions, some will say my choice is to unstable, and some will claim it's overkill. Bottom line is you will need to decide how much you want to spend and where you want to use it and go from there.

Thanks, Jeff
Re: Tripod [Re: JeffDinPA] #2461
03/14/06 07:15 PM
03/14/06 07:15 PM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
To me, the most important part of getting a sharp photo besides the lens used is the tripod. Like Jeff said, the Bogens he mentioned are probably the best buy around for stability. There are other tripods out there that are more stable but at a greater increase in price. I use an older Bogen 3221 myself, but I am to the point that I want a more stable tripod with greater vibration dampening. the weak point in my current setup is the tripod head (bogen). I am going to replace it with a Markins, Kirk, Arca Swiss or Really Right Stuff Ball head because my technique now surpasses the stability and roughness of my current ball head. I have to photograph in the wind and I have had wind gusts litterally knock me over onto my side from a crouching position. The larger Gitzos and Berelbachs stand up to the wind much better than the Bogens. So it depends on how you want to buy. You can spend a little now and then spend a lot more latter on the upgrade, or you can spend more now and get the best and save money in the long run. The tripod should bring your camera slightly higher than your eye without the center post extended or you will find neck and shoulder fatique from slouching down to the tripod. If you photograph flying birds, you want a higher tripod so that you don't slouch as much when you raise the lens. A higher tripod shrinks in height when you are on uneven terrain. People who use the shorter tripods tend to hate the tripods because of the above considerations.

David Ramey Photography

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 477 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer