Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Folks,

I am going to be in Yellowstone starting Sunday the 17th. If anyone is coming out during that period, send me an e-mail (or post here). We can do a small and impromptu NWP get-together. :)

I am going to be staying all over the Park (and after the 21st in Grand Teton and Jackson). I am hoping to put together some new material while I am out there.

I have NEVER been out there during the height of tourist season. I should have a lot of fun yelling at folks in trailers.

-JM

Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: James Morrissey] #243
06/21/05 10:54 AM
06/21/05 10:54 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Sounds great! Hope a few show up. I wont make it as I would go balistic over the traffic. You are in for a very disturbing experience -- traffic can be hell particularly when coming in from the south (Jackson entrance). I go every year but never plan to shoot in the summer, nonetheless, you will have fun – come to think of it, I cant image not having fun in Yellowstone! I am sure you are well aware that the best time to travel is also the best time to shoot. So scout hard during the day and be in position at first light. With it being light here for 18 hours now, you will not get much sleep, but as my grandfather use to tell me, "you'll get enough sleep when you’re dead."

If you plan to camp, there are places to camp that are off the path south of the park and near the north end of the tetons, right on the snake river.

have a good time

Finalshot

Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: Tony Bynum] #244
06/23/05 10:28 PM
06/23/05 10:28 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

I will spend 3 days in Jackson towards the end of the week. I will be mostly in the park bouncing around between the various lodges.

I learned a valuable trick recently. 'Xanterra's website lies.' Specifically, their website lists every place as being completely booked until mid-August. I was able to find lodging - pretty much where ever I wanted - by just calling.

I am always a bit anxious about camping with all of my camera equipment, though I know that MANY people do it.

Anyway, you are right about sleep. My wife tells me that vacation is kind of like 'going to work' because I am up before dawn and in bed well after midnight.

-JM

Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: James Morrissey] #245
06/23/05 10:29 PM
06/23/05 10:29 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

BTW, I will be putting up a list of where I see wildlife during the week.

I am not sure if I will be putting up an interview that week. I will if I can.

-JM

Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: James Morrissey] #246
06/24/05 07:58 AM
06/24/05 07:58 AM
L
Loopman Offline
Venturer
Loopman  Offline
Venturer
L

That sounds great, James. I will not be able to make it either though. It sounds like fun.

Lou

Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: James Morrissey] #247
06/26/05 02:12 PM
06/26/05 02:12 PM
Austin, Texas
J
Johnnycb Offline
Wanderer
Johnnycb  Offline
Wanderer
J

Austin, Texas
James, I'll be heading up to Colorado, Grand Teton
and Yellowstone and maybe Glacier, for a month starting out on the July 5th.

I would like to possibly meet up with you.

Still in the finalization of my routing.

Johnny Boyd
Austin, Texas

johnny.boyd "at" gmail.com

My Photos
http://natureimaging.com
Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: Johnnycb] #248
06/26/05 03:50 PM
06/26/05 03:50 PM
MA
T
TimCudney Offline
Tracker
TimCudney  Offline
Tracker
T

MA
Hi Johnny,

I know you are still finalizing your road trip, but it sounds grand to be able to take a month off like that. I wish that I could. :( Are you driving up from Texas or flying in from somewhere else?

Tim

Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: TimCudney] #249
06/26/05 07:57 PM
06/26/05 07:57 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Johnny,

One more! Let me know when you finalize your schedule. My wife and I would love to meet up with you!

-JM

Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: James Morrissey] #250
06/27/05 01:54 AM
06/27/05 01:54 AM
S
Sheebs Offline
Wanderer
Sheebs  Offline
Wanderer
S

Hi guys,

Sounds like fun! My husband would probably enjoy meeting up with photographers in Yellowstone sometime. He loves to get out and about to shoot, and I am the *roadside tourist* type. :)

We wouldn't be able to join up this time because we already have another obligation then, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for future plans! We usually try to get there every Fall for the Elk rut, but I doubt we'll find the time to this year. :(

Anyway, our daughter works in the Old Faithful Lodge Gift Shop. hmm, is it the Lodge or the Inn? I always get the 2 mixed up, it's the one with the Old Faithful clock in it. :) So If you see a cute blonde girl wearing a name tag with "Morgan" on it, make sure you tell her hi, and freak her out. LOL She loves working there, it's her second summer there.

As for the traffic, I guess as long as your ready and willing to deal with it, it shouldn't be too stressful. Last time we went, we got stuck in a 'buffalo jam' and spent four hours on a 3 to 5 mile stretch, burned a whole evening, missed our dinner reservations and everything was closed by the time we got back to our room. After that experience, I'd take traffic any day. :)

Have some fun!

Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: Sheebs] #251
06/27/05 07:25 PM
06/27/05 07:25 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Sheebs,

You had better warn your daughter that Easterners are coming. My wife and I are going to be staying one night at Old Faithful. The stores are all very different then they used to be. I believe that all of the stores are now run by Xanterra (they used to be owned and operated by the Hamilton family).

How does your daughter like her job? It sounds like a lot of fun and we often think that it would be a great way to spend a summer.

-JM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 355 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer