03/27/06 04:24 PM
03/27/06 04:24 PM
J
JeffDinPA Offline OP
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline OP
Old hand
J

Wow Richard, we're going to start calling you the Wildlife Whisperer. That is very impressive. I like the way you kept a good size log between you and the deer. Looks like you old Buck Buddy has some good battle scars there too.
To within 25 feet of almost any bird is fantastic. I mean I find they rarely stick around long enough in one location with or without me approaching. I have to get out there and do some more looking. I did get fairly close to a turkey the other day, but that was only because he was on the trail of a girlfriend. So again it was a short lived encounter since she was not standing still.

Thanks, Jeff
Re: Predator calls? [Re: JeffDinPA] #2483
03/27/06 10:41 PM
03/27/06 10:41 PM
Tennessee, USA
RichardR Offline
Journeyman
RichardR  Offline
Journeyman

Tennessee, USA
Quote:

Wow Richard, we're going to start calling you the Wildlife Whisperer.

Heheheh....thank you, Jeff! The old buck had been beaten up pretty badly. I'd seen him a couple of weeks before in the same area with broken antlers and fresh gouges on his side. He actually fell asleep while I was sitting there watching him!!

Some time later, I found and collected one of his discarded antlers!

The thrill and enjoyment of getting close enough to the wildlife to watch their behaviours is far more rewarding than the photos I bring back. The last thing I want to do is disturb them but most seem to tolerate me pretty well so long as I behave!

Best to you,

Dick:)

Every day is a good day.
Re: Predator calls? [Re: RichardR] #2484
03/28/06 10:03 AM
03/28/06 10:03 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
"The thrill and enjoyment of getting close enough to the wildlife to watch their behaviours is far more rewarding than the photos I bring back."

Hi Richard,

I hear this entirely. Life is amazing.

"The last thing I want to do is disturb them but most seem to tolerate me pretty well so long as I behave!"

That is an art. One of my greatest frustrations is going into a park (in this case, Yellowstone) and seeing the lady shouting to her husband, "take a picture with me and the elk, Larry." A sadistic part of me keeps hoping that the elk they are cozieing (sp) up to is Charger.

James

Re: Predator calls? [Re: James Morrissey] #2485
04/03/06 02:04 PM
04/03/06 02:04 PM
Long Island, NY
C
Chris_A Offline
Journeyman
Chris_A  Offline
Journeyman
C

Long Island, NY
Was involved in a discussion on this in another forum. Food for thought (no pun intended), if FL has restrictions for bird calls during mating season, the reason being that it puts stress on the birds, imagine what it'd be like raising a nest of chicks when a fake, squeaky mouse starts chattering in a photog's pocket 10 feet away...likely luring predators to a nest area. Turns out birds react very strongly to distressed rodent calls, as it makes them fear a predator is there, or will be coming soon.

-Chris
Re: Predator calls? [Re: Chris_A] #2486
04/03/06 07:02 PM
04/03/06 07:02 PM
J
JeffDinPA Offline OP
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline OP
Old hand
J

Chris,
Thanks for that tip. That is good advice too and I will keep that in mind if I ever get out there with a call.

Thanks, Jeff
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 544 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer