Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline OP
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Alaska
I thought it would be fun to see who our mentors and heros are in Nature and Wildlife Photography. When I was a kid back in the 50's and 60's, every book and magazine I picked up had these incredible photos of animals and nature. The photos all had one common credit. Leonard Lee Rue III, the most published nature photographer of all time, published by 2000 different companies in 44 countries and 1800 national cover photos. The techniques he used to get the photo was unheard of at that time, but now are common. He has a series of photos of a Flying Squirrel that has not been duplicated by anybody and he was using Nikon manual equipment at the time. He is the person that inspired me to love nature through his photos as I grew up.

John Shaw convinced me through his books that I too could photograph Nature. When I see a John Shaw photo, I see a representation of what Nature looks like to me. He has a basic and simplistic style. He boils down the process of graphic design, composition, exposure and equipment usage to its most elemental forms and creates (in my opinion) the best Nature photos of anybody. When I am out in Nature and I see an animal, a scenic, a field of flowers, etc.; I see a John Shaw photo. When I see a John Shaw photo of a place I have been to, I see in his photo, what I saw while I was there.

Who are your mentors and heros?

David Ramey Photography
Re: Who are your Photography "Heros"? [Re: DavidRamey] #2493
03/17/06 03:36 PM
03/17/06 03:36 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
John Shaw - nature some wildlife
Donald M. Jones - the best north american wildlife photographer alive, well, next to me of course - LOL, obviously a joke, but D.M.Jones is the king in my view.

Re: Who are your Photography "Heros"? [Re: Tony Bynum] #2494
03/17/06 04:13 PM
03/17/06 04:13 PM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline OP
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Alaska
Quote:

- the best north american wildlife photographer alive, well, next to me of course -

There are a lot of talented photographers on this forum. Do you have a link to Donald M. Jones work? I am not familiar with his work.

David Ramey Photography
Re: Who are your Photography "Heros"? [Re: DavidRamey] #2495
03/17/06 04:39 PM
03/17/06 04:39 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
His books are the best, his website is a bit old. He "owns" most of the good wildlife magazines.

He's everywhere, he's shot covers for just about every wildlife magazine on the market, check Bugle magazine, fair chase, montana outdoors, montana magazine.

here's his website http://donaldmjones.com/biography.html

Next time your in the bookstore look for his books. He puts his good stuff in his books. . .

Re: Who are your Photography "Heros"? [Re: DavidRamey] #2496
03/22/06 08:59 AM
03/22/06 08:59 AM
Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
PossumCorner Offline
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline
Old hand

Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
Quote:

Who are your mentors and heros?

Mine would have to be Frank Hurley - I don't think his work in Antarctica has been surpassed, and all done before any of it was proclaimed National Parks (not that that seems to stop the Japanese from whaling there). Some of his historic images at:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/features/endurance/

Re: Who are your Photography "Heros"? [Re: PossumCorner] #2497
03/28/06 02:30 AM
03/28/06 02:30 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Galen Rowell, Dewitt Jones, and the work of several photogphers at this site:
http://www.timecatcher.com/

Their work is phenominal.

I just keep trying to learn as I go along....my goal to eventually become a master landscape photographer. Have a lot of growing still to reach that goal...but I keep chuggin away at it....and I will reach it eventually.

Roman

Re: Who are your Photography "Heros"? [Re: RomanJohnston] #2498
04/01/06 01:15 AM
04/01/06 01:15 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
This is a great thread and I hope that it continues to move along. I have been making efforts to contact Dewitt Jones for an interview because of attention that has come about him in these forums.

I think that I have come to respect a lot of different photographers. The interviews that I have conducted have made me have a much more profound view of what it takes to make it professionally. One interview that I particularly come back to is Bjorn Rorslett's. I think that Bjorn Rorslett is an impressive human being and very deep.

Not as big a name, but the time I spent with Steve Kossack was also quite interesting. He taught me more in three days (without taking much time to do didactics) than I had known about landscape work in the last three years.

James

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 345 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer