09/23/09 03:33 PM
09/23/09 03:33 PM
CA
StarrLight Offline OP
Veteran
StarrLight  Offline OP
Veteran

CA
Hi all, I'm behind on reading the forum, am going to try to catch up tonight, but wanted to get a feeling for how you handle prints for dog and cat photography.

Do you print your own? If so, what printer do you use?

Do you use a local or mail print service?

How about a service like smugmug or shutterfly?

I am leaning toward using a service like smugmug or shutterfly for having customers view images and order their prints.

Thoughts? Thanks, Diana

Re: how do you handle prints? [Re: StarrLight] #25246
09/23/09 04:41 PM
09/23/09 04:41 PM
California
Jenny Offline
Wanderer
Jenny  Offline
Wanderer

California
Hi Diana,

I'm just getting started in the business but a friend that does portrait work recommended professional printing for both cost and quality. She uses smugmug which works with Bayphoto and someone else and she likes the results.
I did some price comparisons with Bayphoto, Adoramapics and Mpics and they average out, some are cheaper for some sizes.

I noticed from another post that you are in the San Diego area, so am I.

Jenny

Bark "Cheese"
Re: how do you handle prints? [Re: Jenny] #25247
09/23/09 04:50 PM
09/23/09 04:50 PM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
I print my own. I use an HP Designjet printer and I control the quality from the time I trip the shutter until the print is delivered. I have no processing delays because a lab gets busy. With the paper and ink, it is still cheaper for me to print my own.

David Ramey Photography
Re: how do you handle prints? [Re: StarrLight] #25248
09/23/09 04:52 PM
09/23/09 04:52 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Diana,
over the course of the past 10 years, I've tried everything from printing in-house to trying out most of the labs and right now I post my images on either Instaprints or Collages and fulfill them through White House Custom Color (WHCC). WHCC is higher than some, less expensive than others but they offer a wide range of products and their quality is superb. I've only had one print issue with them in the 2 years I've been using them and they corrected it, reprinted it for free and mailed it out at their expense. Turnaround time is generally same day.

When you shoot dog shows, you have a lot of fulfillment for the 200 individual orders you send out. If you print it yourself and stuff envelopes, it's just a lot of time that could more productively be used making more images. And, frankly, I'm not sure I really saved any money once I add up the materials needed to do it all in-house.

Now, for portrait work, there isn't as much involved in terms of fulfillment volume but you still don't need to be involved in the backend of the process.

Weddings are like dog shows in terms of the number of orders you get following the event so posting the images on Collages -- on a custom web page -- makes the ordering much easier for all the non-Bride&Groom orders. We handle the bride & groom face-to-face with proof books as well.

Be careful with sites like SmugMug. The images can be right-clicked off of those sites with no watermarks and at full resolution. And I assure you it doesn't take long for folks to figure that out.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: how do you handle prints? [Re: Jim Garvie] #25249
09/23/09 05:34 PM
09/23/09 05:34 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Currently, I process each order and send it to a lab. I've been using WHCC and MyPhotoPipe, however I would not recommend MyPhotoPipe at the moment as they've had several quality issues lately.

I've considered using a service like Instaprints for dog sports, but for now I'd rather process each image myself once it is ordered than process a whole bunch ahead of time.

Re: how do you handle prints? [Re: Jim Poor] #25250
09/23/09 05:49 PM
09/23/09 05:49 PM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
I, like Jim, have used many ways to get images to print. Currently I use ACI or Burrell labs. I do some ink jet prints here and use a Canon that prints up to 13x19. I also added the canvas images from Canvas on Demand.

You may get a different response from everyone here but your own testing for your own tastes are what would be the deciding factor.

Peggy Sue
Re: how do you handle prints? [Re: Jim Poor] #25251
09/23/09 05:57 PM
09/23/09 05:57 PM
CA
StarrLight Offline OP
Veteran
StarrLight  Offline OP
Veteran

CA
Thanks for the tips on WHCC, I'll look into that. Smugmug has a pro service ($99/year) and you can do password protected folders for customers. I think I may put a semi transparent watermark over all draft images just for that reason since the download can happen pretty much anywhere. I always thought that I'd want to control the printing and do it myself but I think it will depend on the quantity of images to be printed, which I don't really have a feel for yet for catshows (which will probably be the bulk of my prints), I suspect Preston will have input there. It won't be nearly as many as the dog shows it sounds like.

Hi Jenny, yes I'm in San Diego too. Do you have a website or blog?

Diana

Re: how do you handle prints? [Re: StarrLight] #25252
09/23/09 06:22 PM
09/23/09 06:22 PM
California
Jenny Offline
Wanderer
Jenny  Offline
Wanderer

California
Hi Diana,

My website is:
http://wolfharttimages.com/Bark_Cheese/Welcome.html

I'm mostly interested in dogs. Looks like we compliment each other since you do mostly cats.

My friend does watermark all her images on smugmug. I was planning on using my .mac galleries. It offers all the same options for password protected galleries and when I have tried to "steal" images off it they come out as a low quality .png.

I recently printed a gallery wrap on my HP photosmart pro B9180 and was happy with the quality. I just don't know the longevity, they say 100 years.

Bark "Cheese"
Re: how do you handle prints? [Re: Jenny] #25253
09/23/09 08:00 PM
09/23/09 08:00 PM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
I ran across a blogger who had done some tests of various labs...FYI

http://modifiedphoto.wordpress.com/2009/09/21/the-big-lab-throwdown-final-results/

Myself, I use a local lab for 4x6's and WHCC for most others.

Re: how do you handle prints? [Re: psmith] #25254
09/23/09 09:01 PM
09/23/09 09:01 PM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
How interesting about H&H. They were very select as to who they took on. Two friends of mine who did a great deal of printing with them, switched to ACI. I have been pleased with ACI but really have loved the mounting and finishing of Burrell, and they are not listed.
Thanks for posting this Preston.

Peggy Sue
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 450 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer