Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Everyone,

These following shots were all taken with the Oly E-330. I was very pleased with the shots. What is interesting is just how punchy and saturated the colors are - something I like. The dune shots were mostly taken in .jpg and there were just level adjustments done in PS. I find the WB of the camera to be quite good in outdoor situations, though not exactly matching the raw presents (as to be expected).

Re: More Death Valley Dunes - E330 Style [Re: James Morrissey] #2548
03/22/06 10:03 PM
03/22/06 10:03 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

A few more shots from the Dunes with the E-330. You may notice that the 2nd two are very similar. I like the shadows better in the second one...nice and long. However, some may not like them as much. I also prefer the detail in the foreground in the second photo (of three).

James

Re: More Death Valley Dunes - E330 Style [Re: James Morrissey] #2549
03/23/06 01:01 AM
03/23/06 01:01 AM
BC, Canada
T
Terry Offline
Wanderer
Terry  Offline
Wanderer
T

BC, Canada
Nice James. I will be watching your results from this trip. In particular as I shoot both Canon and Oly. I have thee E-330 in my Oly collection just having purchased about 10 days ago.

Re: More Death Valley Dunes - E330 Style [Re: Terry] #2550
03/23/06 01:29 AM
03/23/06 01:29 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Terry,

Thank you very much. The trip was a blast for several reasons. The group experience cannot be beat. If you have never been on a trip like this with a group of competent people, it is definitely worth the experience. I learned A LOT in 5 days...even though there was very little in any terms of didactics.

From a camera use experience...Olympus is the first company to loan us a camera and lenses for review. While I admit that I was really hoping for the eventual E-1 replacement, I have been quite pleased with the camera. As an 'all around camera,' I think it does the job quite well.

While it is not designed to be in the same body class of cameras as the D200, 20/30d, or E-1, it is an excellent tool in the right hands. I look forward to writing the report after I finish doing some last testing.

I hope that the photos I am providing are good testaments to the camera's ability in every day usage.

James

Re: More Death Valley Dunes - E330 Style [Re: James Morrissey] #2551
03/23/06 10:19 AM
03/23/06 10:19 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Very cool shots!

Jim, I have a question. Did you find that you were tracking over dunes that you later looked and as potential subjects? I mean, was it hard to get to sertatin locations without messing up the sand first? I guess you could make it part of your composition, but did you really have to be smart about your approach? I know when I'm shooting snow scapes, it's a must to pay attention and approach the subject very carefully so as not to track up your forground.

Re: More Death Valley Dunes - E330 Style [Re: Tony Bynum] #2552
03/24/06 12:26 AM
03/24/06 12:26 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Very cool shots!

Did you find that you were tracking over dunes that you later looked and as potential subjects? I mean, was it hard to get to sertatin locations without messing up the sand first? I guess you could make it part of your composition, but did you really have to be smart about your approach?

Hey Tony,

Absolutely. If you trampled over your dunes you want to photograph, well. You know which creek you are up. I think that every time we wanted to go out, we tried as best as possible to find a comfortable spot and work it.

My best photos came out on the second outting to the Dunes. By this time, I actually had an idea of what I was looking for and where I was going to shoot from. The first morning we were out, a person crossed in front of us - a group of photographers - and marched directly into the dunes that we were all obviously shooting in the direction of. That did not happen on the second outting.

I think the trick was to be out very early and to know exactly where we wanted to go. Also, very few people were out there at 5 AM...most came after sunrise had already hit. The lack of competitors for space also made things easier to photograph.

James

Re: More Death Valley Dunes - E330 Style [Re: James Morrissey] #2553
03/27/06 10:07 PM
03/27/06 10:07 PM
Tennessee, USA
RichardR Offline
Journeyman
RichardR  Offline
Journeyman

Tennessee, USA
Shapes, Shadows, Colors, & Textures!!! Fine job of composing those shifting sands for maximum compositional effect. The Oly colors are really excellent as I've found with all of the several Oly digicams I've owned.

Best to you,

Dick:)

Every day is a good day.
Re: More Death Valley Dunes - E330 Style [Re: RichardR] #2554
03/29/06 11:09 PM
03/29/06 11:09 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Dick,

Thanks again for the comments. You are right about the Oly colors. I love them. They are much punchier than what I get out of the camera with the Canon. It was a real joy using the camera during the week. I brought the E-330 tonight to work with me so that I could do some evening sunset shots. I had a beautiful sunset last night, but unfortunately I did not have the camera with me.

I took it tonight, but the sunset was much less dramatic. I will be patient though, I am sure that I will get what I am looking for by next week.

James

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 561 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer