10/18/09 10:58 AM
10/18/09 10:58 AM
Arizona
daveman Offline OP
Old hand
daveman  Offline OP
Old hand

Arizona
We just returned from a camping trip at Zion. What a great place for a trip - hiking and photographing. I thought I would post a few.

1. This is from a fairly common location of Watchman.

2. Another one of Watchman

3. Me and my boys hiking up the narrows...

4. A little fall color.

Thanks for looking - constructive comments always appreciated.

See my stuff here davedilli.zenfolio.com
Re: Zion National Park - Watchman [Re: daveman] #25653
10/18/09 08:09 PM
10/18/09 08:09 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey David,

You are getting me really excited for my trip. I hope there is still foliage left next week. The first shot is my favorite...great colors, and great composition.

James

Re: Zion National Park - Watchman [Re: James Morrissey] #25654
10/18/09 09:49 PM
10/18/09 09:49 PM
Arizona
daveman Offline OP
Old hand
daveman  Offline OP
Old hand

Arizona
James - you will be hitting the colors at about the perfect time. Typically they say the last week of Oct / first week of Nov is peak for Zion, but I think the leaves are changing a little early this year - perfect for your trip.

The 1 mile hike from the Temple of Sinaweva to the start of the narrows is paved the entire way and relatively flat. You should try that hike with your family. I saw one person actually in a wheelchair on that hike.

Enjoy.
Dave

Re: Zion National Park - Watchman [Re: daveman] #25655
10/21/09 08:01 AM
10/21/09 08:01 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
David, your compositions seem stronger in this set, but the post processing for the top two seem a bit off. Colors are not (on my screen) where I would expect them to be. You also have some dark areas on the left of the first one that might be worth exploring balancing out the lightness. The top two are VERY much worth revisiting the Post Processing on them. (They also seem to be leaning to the right for both of them.)

Wouldnt mind playing with them if you have RAW files you would trust with me.

Roman

Re: Zion National Park - Watchman [Re: RomanJohnston] #25656
10/21/09 11:17 PM
10/21/09 11:17 PM
Arizona
daveman Offline OP
Old hand
daveman  Offline OP
Old hand

Arizona
Roman,

It would be great if you want to play with those two. I appreciate your offer. Please really spell out what you do to them in PP because I need to learn.

I will email you RAW files - I cannot remember what service we used in the past but I will figure it out and send them to the email address on your pbase site.

The first one is a blend from two different shots taken a couple of minutes apart - because the pink sky was really fleeting - and the rest of that file was too under exposed. I will send you the file exposed for the mountain / river, but the pink sky was less when it was taken.

Thanks again for the offer. I am excited to see what you come up with...
Dave

Re: Zion National Park - Watchman [Re: daveman] #25657
10/21/09 11:56 PM
10/21/09 11:56 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Guys,

I look forward to seeing them when you are finished with the photos. I am in a place with Internet today...which is nice. I am still at Bryce Canyon. Bryce is out of this world beautiful - honestly, I have never seen anything like it. I am having a dickens of a time though getting shots in focus due to the cold...mostly a result of hand-holding the ND grad and trying to eliminate any appearance of a line.

This morning, I was at the aptly named Sunrise Point. It was amazing. LOL, tonight I was at Sunset Point. The weather had gotten overcast and it looked like snow. However, the sun did break through and I was able to grab about 60 seconds of sunset. I THINK that I may have gotten a couple. Again, the problem being slow shutter speeds and motion blur - this is with a tripod and a really good head. It has been FREEZING. The winds were wicked - and we are up about 8500 feet. The temp was in the mid to high 20s this morning and the wind chill made my hands absolutely numb (even with just the short time I had them out of my gloves).

If I got 3 good shots today, I will be happy.

James

Re: Zion National Park - Watchman [Re: James Morrissey] #25658
10/22/09 12:21 AM
10/22/09 12:21 AM
Arizona
daveman Offline OP
Old hand
daveman  Offline OP
Old hand

Arizona
Great to hear from you James - I forgot that Bryce is about 8000 feet elevation, so cold!! Hope to see your shots soon - even if only a few.

Roman - files were sent to your verizon email - let me know if you do not receive.

Dave

Re: Zion National Park - Watchman [Re: daveman] #25659
10/22/09 12:23 PM
10/22/09 12:23 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Got the files.....and will start working on them....but I have to give you one warning....part of my workflow is kinda a secret. The basics that I PP the RAW file I will be happy to give you. Will even send you the side car files which will show you everything I did. Just throw it in the folder along with the .nef file and it should show you the changes automaticly when you open it in ACR.

Will post the end product first....then we can talk a bit.

Here is the first one, will work on the one with the blend next (which I will use the techniques spelled out on my tutorial on this site for blends for Dynamic Range)

Roman

Last edited by RomanJohnston; 10/22/09 12:27 PM.
Re: Zion National Park - Watchman [Re: RomanJohnston] #25660
10/22/09 12:52 PM
10/22/09 12:52 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
And here is the 2nd one.
NOTE: This is all from the darker file they were not taken from the same angle (IE bright and dark one taken from the same spot on a tripod) so was forced to choose one and chose the one with the sky detail in the shot. So the darker forground area is full of noise which would be hard to recover from but should make an ok smaller print (like 12 x 18" etc)

If you had taken this shot with a tripod and exposed 100% corretcly for foreground and one after for sky, this could have turned into quite a gallery quality print. Now...dont start kicking yourself...lol...its all part of the learning experience. On the good side, your compositions are REALLY starting to improve....these two shots are very nice.

I have full sized files I will try to send back to you.

Roman

Re: Zion National Park - Watchman [Re: RomanJohnston] #25661
10/22/09 08:56 PM
10/22/09 08:56 PM
Arizona
daveman Offline OP
Old hand
daveman  Offline OP
Old hand

Arizona
Roman - Thanks!

This really does make a difference on both shots. I very much appreciate your willingness to do this.

There is much more color separation, so a much broader range of colors throughout. The shots also have more vibrancy.
I would like to hear as much of your process as you are comfortable sharing. I really want to learn how to bring out the best in my shots. I work at it almost every night, but still obviously have a ways to go.

Please do send me the files and I will see if I can figure out how to view the side car files. My email address is ddilli @q dot com. (of course without the spaces)

Thanks again for your help.
Dave

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 546 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer