06/28/05 03:00 AM
S
Sheebs Offline
Wanderer
Sheebs  Offline
Wanderer
S

Hiya James,

She always has lots of interesting stories about tourists. LOL But that kind of goes with the job, I'd think. She says some of the foreigners come to buy a trinket just to get the Yellowstone/Old Faithful bag it's put in!

We actually gave her the idea to work there last year after she graduated high school, we were there the Fall before and saw all the young people working there. She went kicking and screaming the first year but then of course didn't want to leave once she got there and couldn't wait to get back there this year.

She loves it! I never hear from her, so I know she's loving it. :) Everyone she works with loves it too. I know there has been some bad press about Xanterra, but for the most part, I think employees are just happy to live and work in Yellowstone. Just as long as you don't go there planning to get rich on the wages. :) Lots of couples work there together for the summer.

Here's a Yellowstone story for you:

Right after she got there this year, made friends, called me to tell me one of her friends got attacked by a bear behind the dorms near Old Faithful. He was hiking on a trail and came across a grizzly(? think she told me grizzly). It walked up to him, he tried to scare it off, didn't work... So he curled up in a ball as the bear came upon him. The bear then swiped him hard across the hiney and walked off. Left him a battle scar and a new outlook on life. Lucky guy! This is why I like to remain a roadside tourist. :)I'm the slowest runner, so I'd be doomed. LOL

Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: Sheebs] #253
06/28/05 08:20 AM
06/28/05 08:20 AM
MA
T
TimCudney Offline
Tracker
TimCudney  Offline
Tracker
T

MA
Hi Sheebs,

Sounds like your daughter is having a magnificent time. I have not visited Yellowstone in many years. If I had the time, I would be glad to come out. Unfortunately, trips to Yellowstone is expensive, and I am not just talking about the airfare.

Grizzly bear are beautiful but very dangerous animals. Her friend is lucky that he is not dead. I agree with you about being a roadside tourist. :)

Tim

Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: TimCudney] #254
06/28/05 08:27 AM
06/28/05 08:27 AM
Austin, Texas
J
Johnnycb Offline
Wanderer
Johnnycb  Offline
Wanderer
J

Austin, Texas
Tim,

Yep, we'll be driving up from Texas.

One week from today.....YAHOO!

Johnny Boyd
Austin, Texas

johnny.boyd "at" gmail.com

My Photos
http://natureimaging.com
Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: James Morrissey] #255
06/28/05 08:33 AM
06/28/05 08:33 AM
Austin, Texas
J
Johnnycb Offline
Wanderer
Johnnycb  Offline
Wanderer
J

Austin, Texas
James, I will let ya know.

For sure I'll be in Colorado Springs on July 7 or 8.
I have to be there to pick up our pop-up trailer we
will be renting.

Then we will probably head on to Grand Teton or northern Colorado but at this time thats just a guess.

I am still trying to decide when to be in Crested Butte for the wildflowers.

Johnny Boyd
Austin, Texas

My Photos
Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: Johnnycb] #256
06/28/05 08:35 AM
06/28/05 08:35 AM
MA
T
TimCudney Offline
Tracker
TimCudney  Offline
Tracker
T

MA
Hey Johnny,

You are doing something that my father and I had been discussing for years - though obviously we would be coming from the East Coast. The thing that had always stopped us, and unfortunately will never happen now, is the time factor. We mapped it out and guessed it would take us a minimum of 2 to 3 weeks to get across with all the stopping on the way.

Texas to Yellowstone is a long way to haul, and you are going to be making some significant detours along the way. Even with the higher speed limits coming from the South up. Have you thought about the different places you want to stop along the way?

I am glad for you that you are getting a chance to do this. Maybe in a few years I will do it by RV or something. Doing it in a car is much harder then many people guess.

Tim

Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: TimCudney] #257
06/29/05 09:33 AM
06/29/05 09:33 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

I am getting really excited about our trip to Yellowstone. My problem is now trying to figure out where to stay in Jackson. My wife and I have very dear friends who own an inn, but they were booked up solid.

We will be heading out now in two weeks. I have not decided whether or not to bring anything 'funky' with me on the trip in terms of a lens. I have been debatig getting a 10-22mm lens for my 20d. Some of the vistas are spectacular and as much as I love my 16-35, it does not do it justice.

-JM

Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: TimCudney] #258
06/29/05 10:17 AM
06/29/05 10:17 AM
Austin, Texas
J
Johnnycb Offline
Wanderer
Johnnycb  Offline
Wanderer
J

Austin, Texas
Tim,

One of the good things about being from Texas (well I guess you can call it good)is that you get used to some long drives. When I lived on the coast here in Texas I had to drive 30 miles just to go shopping, 150 miles to the south side of Houston, 90 miles to Corpus, 200+ plus to San Antonio or Austin, well you get the picture.

I have driven to almost Acapulco, to Colorado Springs, to South Portland, Maine and to Burlington, Vermont so driving doesn't really bother me its just part of the adventure.

Stops along the way.... probably won't stop except for the motel until I get to Colorado Springs then I'll play it by ear. I am kind of a plan a route and then take another route type of traveler.

I am hoping to set up a blog of our trip if I can put it together before I leave on Tuesday.

If you decide to do something similar wait and rent your RV in Colorado Springs. In my case the RV will be a pop up camper towed behind my Honda Passport SUV. Sometimes we just have to put things on hold and as Nike says...just do it. I guess construction has its good sides... work hard and long then play hard and as long as you can..

Johnny Boyd
Austin, Texas

My Photos
Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: Johnnycb] #259
06/30/05 12:10 AM
06/30/05 12:10 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Johnny,

You are welcome to put up a running story of your travels here if you want. It sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun - though I think that Tim might be correct about the desire to step off the beaten path periodically. :)

Make sure that you share your pictures!!

-JM

Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: James Morrissey] #260
06/30/05 06:11 AM
06/30/05 06:11 AM
S
Sheebs Offline
Wanderer
Sheebs  Offline
Wanderer
S

James,

We started staying in Teton Village on our trips to Jackson. They might have something open if everything else is booked, plus they have everything you could need within walking distance.

Do you know about that gravel road past Teton Village that takes you into the Teton Park? We would get up at the crack of dawn to hit that dirt road. We have seen Moose, Coyotes, a Bear and Elk on that stretch of road. I'm sure you know about it, but that's our favorite hot spot to hit in the early hours for pictures. We sat out there one crisp, cold, morning with the windows down and listened to the Coyotes howling to each other.

We are only 4 hours away from Jackson Hole... you're making me want to go!!

Edited to Add:

I also talked to my daughter tonight that works in Yellowstone. She told us we'd be sorry if we didn't come this year because she guaranteed we'd see a bear. I guess they are everywhere! (We have yet to see a bear in Yellowstone, only one we came across was the cub in JH.)

I'm sure you've done your homework on your pending trip, but next time I talk to her I'll ask her where they are being spotted frequently this year.

Last edited by Sheebs; 06/30/05 06:23 AM.
Re: Yellowstone - July 17th through 24th.... [Re: Sheebs] #261
06/30/05 09:35 AM
06/30/05 09:35 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Do you know about that gravel road past Teton Village that takes you into the Teton Park? We would get up at the crack of dawn to hit that dirt road. We have seen Moose, Coyotes, a Bear and Elk on that stretch of road. I'm sure you know about it, but that's our favorite hot spot to hit in the early hours for pictures. We sat out there one crisp, cold, morning with the windows down and listened to the Coyotes howling to each other.

Hey Sheebs,

The gravel road that you are referring to is called "the Moose Willson Road" and some of my best photographs of Coyote and Moose have come from there. It is absolutely a spectacular place.

May I ask where you are if you are 4 hours away from Jackson? Does that put you in Salt Lake? If so, it is only a hop, skip and a jump to LV for next April's DWF convention. You should go.

Anyway...I digress. Back to Moose Wilson Road. We have also seen black bear there. It is a great place to see wildlife from.

As for bear in Yellowstone, we have seen plenty of them. Though the Tetons seems to allow you better viewing locations. We have seen grizzly and black bear up past the Lake section and in the north east section of the park going past Lamaar Valley (going towards Montana).

-JM

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 404 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer