02/25/10 10:56 AM
02/25/10 10:56 AM
Portland, Oregon
Tyler Offline
Venturer
Tyler  Offline
Venturer

Portland, Oregon
This may sound a bit lame, but in my one cheap community college photography class, we were challenged with taking 10 different pictures of 10 different things while standing in the same spot. As a result, one of my personal favorite pictures I have taken was from the first time I did this. Just some feathers caught in the grass at the edge of a creek (sorry I don't have a digital version to share). I went to this creek weekly for pictures, trying to get a nice sunset off the water or some duck and geese nesting, I was always focusing on other areas instead of straight down.

I still keep that assignment in mind when I'm on the trails trying to do my own personal NW Waterfall collection. I always aim to get the whole falls in the shot, but unique photos from weird angles or of objects I don't initially consider are a result of me challenging myself to redo that class assignment, and almost always result in a "Keeper"

Re: 10 day visit to the Southwest... [Re: Tyler] #28118
02/25/10 12:32 PM
02/25/10 12:32 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Tyler,

This does not sound lame at all. I guess I really have two questions (1) how do you shoot an iconic image differently (LOL, and still have it be an icon), (2) do you really n-e-e-d to shoot it differently?

James

PS Tyler, do you have a scanner?

Re: 10 day visit to the Southwest... [Re: James Morrissey] #28119
02/26/10 11:25 AM
02/26/10 11:25 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Hey guys, sorry I lost track of this post, i tried to find it a week or so ago but could not, i'm glad it's back for me to find.

I think a great deal of my glacier park images are original because i shoot the park all the and i seldom shoot the cliche images, although i have them for stock purposes. Check my blog for example, i'll bet you'll not find most of my glacier park images in anyone's collection . . .

But I think about 80% of my stuff is unique from the standpoint of unique lighting and seasonal variations as well as location and perspective control either through lens selection or camera positioning or both. . .

Thanks Doug, love the sol duc shot . . .

Attached Files
28730-09mtcalendar.jpg (30 downloads)
Re: 10 day visit to the Southwest... [Re: James Morrissey] #28120
03/04/10 07:53 AM
03/04/10 07:53 AM
Portland, Oregon
Tyler Offline
Venturer
Tyler  Offline
Venturer

Portland, Oregon
My local fed-ex store has a scanner, I'll try to go down there this weekend. Only copy of the photo is a 4x6 so won't make for an amazing scan.

As far as the questions:
1. How do you shoot an Iconic image differently? Just walk around and see what looks interesting. Get that head on a swivel. My first trip to Australia my bags got lost and I didn't have my good camera with me for my days in Sydney, just a P-a-S. I took this photo of an extremely iconic building.

I was just walking around in "explorer mode" just outside of the Opera House and looked up and thought 'Oh Neat' <click>. I don't think I would have if I was lugging around my SLR and tripod, I would have been with everyone else standing back trying to get the whole thing in a picture and maybe get the Harbour Bridge or the cityscape in the background.

Once my luggage was found and I had my SLR, an A-1 at the time, I took this on my way back thru Sydney just before flying out.

The second photo answers the second question. No, of course you don't need to shoot it differently. The classic image is classic for a reason. Plus I like having one I can call my own. I think the second photo is better, it was taking with better equipment too, but the first still kinda intrigues me a little. When I go back in June I want to redo the tile shot with my digital, have it not be off-center, then who knows which shot is better?

Re: 10 day visit to the Southwest... [Re: Tyler] #28121
03/04/10 01:24 PM
03/04/10 01:24 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Tyler and Tony,

LOL, sometimes it is easier than others. Thanks to you and Tony for your photos. I agree, Tony, that your pieces are really quite decent - and very good..all while maintaining the iconic sense of the place. That is the great advantage of being able to cover the same space over time - something you have a wonderful luxury and remarkable talent for.

James

Re: 10 day visit to the Southwest... [Re: James Morrissey] #28122
03/04/10 08:19 PM
03/04/10 08:19 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
great thread and no matter what, i'm very impressed with the iconic images posted by the thread owner! Well done I wish those shots were mine. . . bring some more to the table, your stuff is clean, crisp and sharp!

Re: 10 day visit to the Southwest... [Re: Tony Bynum] #28123
03/15/10 05:40 PM
03/15/10 05:40 PM
Pacific Northwest
D
ddietiker Offline OP
Tracker
ddietiker  Offline OP
Tracker
D

Pacific Northwest
When I shoot, I dont go looking for original shots, just ones I can sell as fine art. Though this is one that has never been done and I wont reveal where it was taken from either this isnt in the national park, but you can see it from here I spent a day and a half bush wacking and treking the river looking for a good spot.

I call this "The Horse Shoe" and that is the eastern sierra's in the background and it makes a really great 24 x 36 print.

Last edited by ddietiker; 03/15/10 05:46 PM.

Douglas IEPA
Re: 10 day visit to the Southwest... [Re: ddietiker] #28124
03/16/10 05:39 PM
03/16/10 05:39 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Douglas,

Beautiful photo, as usual.

James

Re: 10 day visit to the Southwest... [Re: James Morrissey] #28125
03/31/10 07:30 AM
03/31/10 07:30 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
"Seeing" in and of itself is an artform. Appreciation, love, and emotion, are key in seeing. Patience and the ability to walk your scene can help quite a bit as well....even in the most iconic spots.

Waiting also for new weather related phenomena also helps (as was the goal of the OP looking to add snow to his compositions). I have started to look for new concepts like taking pictures at night for stars in my shots.

As your eyes open to a place, often minor tewaks can give big results. Especially with wide angle lenses...moving a foot over can totally change perspective. I often use branches of trees to frame subjects like this.

Or use wide zooms but up close instead of far back....like for this very over shot falls.

I think when many people arrive to an iconic location, they get so excited about where they are...and the natural beauty the they (and everyone else) sees when they first get there, they kinda loose their head.

I always stop....thank god...or the universe....or whatever you think is responsable for creating such beauty, and ask to be guided to new perspectives...then I start hunting. Some of my best shots are due to me lying on the ground looking up into a shot, or climbing safely up on somthing (not somwhere posted for no trasspassing..lets be safe...as well as respectful...as you all are I am sure!) But when in an iconic location...remember to try to change the view from human eye level.

But as others have posted here...there is nothing wrong with getting your copy of an iconic shot either.

I am rambling on here...lol....so will return the floor to all of you.

Roman

Re: 10 day visit to the Southwest... [Re: RomanJohnston] #28126
03/31/10 12:57 PM
03/31/10 12:57 PM
Pacific Northwest
D
ddietiker Offline OP
Tracker
ddietiker  Offline OP
Tracker
D

Pacific Northwest
But as others have posted here...there is nothing wrong with getting your copy of an iconic shot either.

I am rambling on here...lol....so will return the floor to all of you.

Roman

Couldn't agree more Roman, beautiful shots by the way. Since this was my first trip to Zion, I have a few shots in mind now that I had no way of knowing about before the visit. That is why we go back to places over, and over, and over again. You learn something new every time. Unless of course, you were the first person there then it isnt an Icon yet

Last edited by ddietiker; 03/31/10 12:58 PM.

Douglas IEPA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 349 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer