03/19/10 03:04 PM
03/19/10 03:04 PM
Connecticut
Sunstruck Offline OP
Old hand
Sunstruck  Offline OP
Old hand

Connecticut
My little boys Mr. Gray and Mr. White went to their new homes a couple of minutes ago. We rescued their mom and her 7 month old son right before Christmas. She was sick, and running a fever. We got her fever down, just as she was going into labor. We could not get her to eat anything, the vet had her on antibiotics, but said that as soon as she was feeling better, she would eat. She had 3 beautiful kittens, but on day 4 we lost the biggest boy. The vet let us borrow one if his incubators and showed me how to insert and feed them using a stomach tube. It was touch and go for a while, we had a hard time keeping their temps up, but the incubator helped. About week # 2, the momma cat (Bella) started producing milk. It was a god send! The vet was wonderful! The first day, we were at the vets office 4 times. Then we were there every day just for a check up. On the weekends when the vet was closed, he stopped by my store to check up on them.

So, today they went to their new homes, healthy, happy, and full of life. Of course, I have the sniffles! I will miss the little pitter patter of kitten feet running up and down the hallway at home, and little kitten kisses first thing in the morning. They went to a good home, and they went together. They were originally supposed to go to two separate homes, but they are so bonded to each other, the other person could not bear to separate them, so she gave up her kitten so they could be together. They are only a couple of minutes down the street from work, so I can sneak out at lunch time to visit. The new family is so excited to be getting the kittens. When they knew they were getting one of the kittens, they came by the store every day to visit. Today, the father took the day off from work to welcome the kittens home. They have 2 children, a 3 yr old and a 5 yr. old. While I would not normally adopt out to a household with such young children, the kids are so well behaved and good, I have absolutely no reservations about the boys going to them. When the mother found out last night that they were indeed getting both kittens, she said her husband's face just lit up in pleasure.

The ups and downs of rescue. I am so happy the boys are healthy and going to their new homes, and so sad to see them go. I would not give rescuing, to see the joy on the faces of the new parents just makes it worth the sorrow of losing one of the babies.

Thanks for letting me ramble, time to find another Kleenex,
Penny

Penny J. Wills
[color:"#08c3c5"]www.pennyjwillsphotography.com[/color]
Re: Bittersweet Friday [Re: Sunstruck] #28682
03/19/10 03:08 PM
03/19/10 03:08 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Good job! I admire those who can do fostering. I'm just too easily attached & a bit selfish I suppose.

Re: Bittersweet Friday [Re: Jim Poor] #28683
04/01/10 08:29 PM
04/01/10 08:29 PM
Kentucky, US
L
lucy Offline
Tracker
lucy  Offline
Tracker
L

Kentucky, US
Like Jim, I would have a hard time giving them up. It takes a big heart to know when to let go.....

Lucy

Re: Bittersweet Friday [Re: lucy] #28684
04/05/10 02:16 PM
04/05/10 02:16 PM
Connecticut
Sunstruck Offline OP
Old hand
Sunstruck  Offline OP
Old hand

Connecticut
Thank you Jim & Lucy. It is tough to give them up.

When I first got into Rescue and Fostering, a friend sent me this poem. I have it printed out and hanging over my desk. It is so appropriate.

A Poem to My Foster Dog

I am the bridge
Between what was and what can be.
I am the pathway to a new life.
I am made of mush,
Because my heart melted when I saw you,
Matted and sore, limping, depressed,
Lonely, unwanted, afraid to love.
For one little time you are mine.
I will feed you with my own hand
I will love you with my whole heart
I will make you whole.
I am made of steel.
Because when the time comes,
When you are well, and sleek,
When your eyes shine,
And your tail wags with joy
Then comes the hard part.
I will let you go -- not without a tear,
But without a regret.
For you are safe forever -- A new dog needs me now.

-- Diane Morgan

Penny

Penny J. Wills
Re: Bittersweet Friday [Re: Sunstruck] #28685
04/05/10 02:57 PM
04/05/10 02:57 PM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
Nice photos, wonderful story, beautiful poem.

You did good!

Re: Bittersweet Friday [Re: psmith] #28686
04/07/10 12:08 PM
04/07/10 12:08 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Penny,

Very well done. Anyone who fosters/rescues strays is an A+ in my book (LOL, for whatever THAT is worth).

James

Re: Bittersweet Friday [Re: James Morrissey] #28687
04/08/10 09:40 AM
04/08/10 09:40 AM
Connecticut
Sunstruck Offline OP
Old hand
Sunstruck  Offline OP
Old hand

Connecticut
Thank you Preston and James.

Penny

Penny J. Wills
Re: Bittersweet Friday [Re: Sunstruck] #28688
04/08/10 09:57 AM
04/08/10 09:57 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Penny,
+1 to what Preston and James have said. I think fostering is the hardest part of Rescue. And, obviously, we're not that good at it since we kept our first Rottie foster, Marion Louise . However, we have also placed over a dozen other Rotties that we've fostered and it's a bit like letting puppies go in a litter you've bred. It's very hard because you love them. But it's the right answer for the animals because they get to have a home where they are the center of attention.

We have a very good friend who does cat rescue. She'll find feral cats, get them fed and vaccinated and then -- if they are good with people -- will try to find them homes. It's very difficult because there are so many cats out there and so few homes. I've helped her wrangle many of her rescues and held them for the vaccinations. Some have tried to eat me; some have simply cuddled me. The latter ones are the ones I have trouble leaving.

I've often envied the ability of folks who work with service dogs, training them as puppies and then helping them get placed with the people they will help for the rest of their lives. That takes a very special strength.

Good job.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 195 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer