04/04/10 05:26 AM
04/04/10 05:26 AM
Portland, Oregon
Tyler Offline OP
Venturer
Tyler  Offline OP
Venturer

Portland, Oregon
The last time I tried Romans HDR Blend tutorial I hit a roadblock for using PS-Elements. I now have full CS4 so I'm trying it out again. I guess what messes me up now the most is never really dinking around with color curves before, so I am not to sure on how to use them to make the necessary changes discussed in the early steps. The Fuzziness/ Feathering is pretty straight forward though, so I'm at least confident in that regard.

I'd like to know if I'm at least on the right track with processing. Here is the original image (raw to jpeg no processing), and below my blend attempt. I also have the RAW if anyone wants to show off the image potential.

(RAW to JPEG, No Process)

(Blend Attempt)

Re: Trying the blend tutorial once again [Re: Tyler] #29019
04/04/10 11:43 PM
04/04/10 11:43 PM
Kansas
S
spartacusii Offline
Tracker
spartacusii  Offline
Tracker
S

Kansas
i took a crack at editing this image, & as always, i'm sure the RAW file would produce better results. if you're interested in having me work on that after looking at this edit, you can email the RAW to me at spartacusii@kc.rr.com.

i like this image, but i don't/didn't find a lot of detail to pull out of it with the upper 2/3 of the image being primarily green, & the lower third being essentially grey/brownish. the waterfall is nice, but a good portion of it is blown out, as is also the case with the much smaller little areas of rushing water. compositionally it seems a little loose with a lot of dead/wasted space particularly on the left side of the image. not having been there personally, i can't suggest how you might be able to tighten up the composition, but if you have access to this area without a huge drive, then maybe you can look around & find a 'better' way to feature the waterfall in its environs. (i am assuming it is the waterfall that was your primary subject)

it appears to my eye that the dynamic range of this scene is just too high to shoot - i haven't tried to see if i could get any exif data on the file, but if i was to guess, i would say the shot was taken under a fairly bright overcast sky in some portion of the mid-day (anywhere from say late-AM to mid-late afternoon). if true, not the ideal times to take a shot like this . . . but i also understand you can't ALWAYS control when you're at a certain place. but when you can, this time of day is not typically condusive for shooting waterfalls.

anyway - enough of the critique. i am attaching a file of my edit. . . & like i said, if you want a better version, i'd be willing to give it a shot on the RAW if you email it to me.

jp

Attached Files
Re: Trying the blend tutorial once again [Re: spartacusii] #29020
04/13/10 04:12 PM
04/13/10 04:12 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Tyler, do you have the origonal RAW, and would you be willing to share it?

Roman

Re: Trying the blend tutorial once again [Re: RomanJohnston] #29021
04/16/10 03:11 AM
04/16/10 03:11 AM
Portland, Oregon
Tyler Offline OP
Venturer
Tyler  Offline OP
Venturer

Portland, Oregon
Roman, I do have the RAW, I'll send it when I get home from work.

Spart, I have a hundred or so shots of this waterfall, many are tighter shots with more ideal weather conditions for doing the whole wisp thing. What caught my eye initially for this shot was, the day was cloudy, and for just a couple minutes the sun came out and was shining on the patch of grass growing on the rocks. I think by the time I got set up, some of the light had shifted to the waterfall as well and that's why the white is blown out. But because I have so many close up, I wanted a shot with that showed the whole shelf of rock, and included the sun lighting up this patch of grass with it kinda being dark everywhere else.

This could also be one of those situations where the camera can not pick up what the eye is seeing. I was mostly just choosing an image I had lying around that would be good for me to try the blend tutorial with, but maybe something with sky and horizon would be better to learn on.

Re: Trying the blend tutorial once again [Re: Tyler] #29022
04/21/10 05:05 PM
04/21/10 05:05 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Got the file, will play with it tonight. Do you use a polarizer when shooting falls?

It has saved more than a few of my files taking the harsh reflective light out of play and taming the DR a tad.

Roman

Re: Trying the blend tutorial once again [Re: RomanJohnston] #29023
04/22/10 01:37 AM
04/22/10 01:37 AM
Kansas
S
spartacusii Offline
Tracker
spartacusii  Offline
Tracker
S

Kansas
i would also be interested in the raw file - would you be willing to email it to me via sendthisfile? s1p1a1r1t1a1c1u1s1i1i@kc.rr.com (take out the "1"s)

i look forward to it.

jp

Re: Trying the blend tutorial once again [Re: spartacusii] #29024
04/22/10 08:37 AM
04/22/10 08:37 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Didnt get a chance last night to work on it...will have to be tonight instead. Sorry bout that!

Roman

Re: Trying the blend tutorial once again [Re: RomanJohnston] #29025
04/23/10 02:27 AM
04/23/10 02:27 AM
Portland, Oregon
Tyler Offline OP
Venturer
Tyler  Offline OP
Venturer

Portland, Oregon
Roman, I usually use an ND2 or ND4 filter on waterfalls depending on the weather. I've tried polarizing filters before on my old lens but was never able to produce what I wanted, where as the ND seemed to help more with my skill shortcomings as I was learning. I haven't tried with my new "waterfall lens" but I'll be picking one up in a week or two in preparation for my trip to Australia.

JP, I'll have to wait till I get home to send it out again, it might be a day or two.

Re: Trying the blend tutorial once again [Re: Tyler] #29026
04/23/10 12:29 PM
04/23/10 12:29 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
ND filters can slow down the shot but does nothing for curbing glare.

What lens is your new "waterfall" lens?

Roman

Re: Trying the blend tutorial once again [Re: RomanJohnston] #29027
04/26/10 11:09 PM
04/26/10 11:09 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Well, finished the blend. Let me know what you think.

Roman

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer