05/28/10 06:54 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Julie,
while I agree that those images generate a lot of emotion, they are not what I would term "traditional portraits". Situational portraits -- especially those of dogs doing Service Work or Therapy Work -- make you understand what those dogs are all about and bring out the emotions in the people in the images and the people viewing them.

But, put those same dogs in the studio, without people with whom to inter-act, and there's a good chance you won't see what makes those dogs so special. Which is why I think it's important to be able to get those animals to inter-act with us, the photographers. To show us their personalities. To look at us behind the camera and behave the same way they do with the elderly in convalescent homes or children in the Cancer Ward of Florida Hospital. To show us their love (or their joy, their goofiness, their sweetness) so we can capture it.

The greatest moment I ever had in Therapy Work came when I couldn't photograph it -- I was the handler. Rowdy and his daughter, Cassidy (12-weeks of age), had just finished our Doggie Education program with 5th graders at a local school. As we were getting ready to leave, a woman came up to us and asked if we could spend a few moments with a group of children that had just arrived by bus. They were severely handicapped children: autistic, MS, MD. Most had never lived a "normal" life. Some had never reacted to anything outside of their world of a wheelchair or a bed.

The children were grouped around outside and we brought over Rowdy and Cassidy. Rowdy sensed who needed him most and put his head in the lap of a little girl who was blind. She was told that it was OK to touch him and she explored his entire head -- including his mouth -- with wonder and joy. Rowdy just licked her hand gently and she laughed.

Cassidy, who was a pretty wild puppy, sat calmly in my arms. One of the women who was supervising the visit asked if a young girl in another wheelchair could touch Cassidy. I said "OK" and tentatively placed her in the lap of the girl. She was autistic. She showed no reaction to Cassidy being there. Then, slowly, Cassidy placed her paws on the girl's shoulders and gave her the sweetest puppy lick on the cheek I've ever seen. The girl actually reacted to that "kiss" and placed her hands on Cassidy and rubbed her fur. I was paying full attention to the situation to make sure Cassidy didn't do anything to hurt the girl but when I looked up, the supervisor was crying. After a few minutes, we let Cassidy kiss her goodbye and moved on to other children. I asked the woman why that moment had been so special. She said "that girl has never reacted to any stimulation. That is the first time she has ever acknowledged another being outside of herself." I cried too.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Capturing personality [Re: Jim Garvie] #29627
05/28/10 08:48 PM
05/28/10 08:48 PM
TN
Julie Offline OP
Addict
Julie  Offline OP
Addict

TN
I have to disagree Jim, I know I can pull personality out of shelter dogs with no human interaction, or just a regular dog in the studio. I do it all the time. When photographing a dog, whether shelter or pet or show, you have to get show emotion/personality. It has to tell some sort of story

Done alone in the studio, with no one to even hold the dog

done at the shelter, 83 animals in 2 hours. Lots of personality shown. The white dog was adopted because of this photo, the owner has told me that a couple of times.

Re: Capturing personality [Re: Julie] #29628
05/29/10 08:24 AM
05/29/10 08:24 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
great shots! Love them all! You can use all the silly lights and bait, and balls and toys you want, but this is how we roll in Montana . . . ;-)!

Attached Files
Re: Capturing personality [Re: Tony Bynum] #29629
05/29/10 08:52 AM
05/29/10 08:52 AM
TN
Julie Offline OP
Addict
Julie  Offline OP
Addict

TN
Tony, you must have the patience of Job. Your magazine covers illustrate exactly what I am talking about. They evoke emotion and tell a story. The story I make up in my mind may be different from everyone elses, but, its an emotional reaction that says something to me. What it is saying is not as important.

Jim P remarked what if it is not the correct personality. Stop thinking so much and start feeling more. Its like worrying over animoto music and whether they will like your selection. THEY WILL. As long as you have a semi understanding of your clients. I can design a whole book for a client and the love them. No previews, no changes, no anything. Because I get a feel for who *they* are.

People will tell you about their pet's personality. They want to talk about them. They have made a big leap to get them ready for photos, get them there, they love their dogs and want to talk about them.

The thing is, people see what they know in photos. A tilt of the head is always cute in a pet, the show people don't like it as much. You just need to know your client and you will capture the "right" Personality

Without emotion, the photos are pictures and no more

Re: Capturing personality [Re: Tony Bynum] #29630
05/29/10 09:20 AM
05/29/10 09:20 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Tony,
Oh, sure, and I suppose you're going to tell us you didn't use a squeeky for those shots . Great images that show the "personality" of the subjects. As Julie says, it doesn't matter whether it's a dog in the studio or a Grizzly in the wild, you have to capture an image that speaks to people otherwise it's not a portrait. A picture, yes. But not a portrait. Each of those images tells me about the species and about the individual animal in the image. They are portraits.

I think we sometimes get caught up in what's "correct" in an absolute sense instead of just going with the flow and getting expression, interaction and personality that represents that animal in that situation at that moment in time. I take lots of candids of dogs either at shows or in the dog park or just hanging around. Some are decent images but most are NOT portraits. In my portraits, I try to look into the eyes of the subject and see what's in their soul. Kinda like this shot of Rowdy and his girlfriend Melanie.

There is no question that Rowdy loved that young woman.

Or these taken at Disney's Animal Kingdom and used to create a birthday card.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Capturing personality [Re: Jim Garvie] #29631
05/29/10 11:25 AM
05/29/10 11:25 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
There's one point missing here, that is, when we shoot, no matter what the person knows or does not know about the subject it is up to the photographer to show something unique. I have worked with people and horses who have for years been "best-friends." I get joy when they see one of my images and learn something new about their horse or themselves that they did not know . . . If I can do that, i know I HAVE DONE MY JOB. To me the ONLY way to accomplish that is to relax and do your thing never mind the pressure or what's going on around you, you have to bring yourself to the image. . . Obviously this applies less if youre shooting documentary or with strict standards or rules, but if given the license to do your thing, JUST DO IT!

Attached Files
29964-kidgoat-4465.jpg (16 downloads)
Re: Capturing personality [Re: Tony Bynum] #29632
05/29/10 07:35 PM
05/29/10 07:35 PM
TN
Julie Offline OP
Addict
Julie  Offline OP
Addict

TN
That is it exactly Tony. Anyone can take a well exposed focused photo. The difference comes when you get something unique and moving. If you can make clients cry, you have done your job

Re: Capturing personality [Re: Julie] #29633
06/01/10 11:56 AM
06/01/10 11:56 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
100%, Julie. the best arbitrator of if you captured the personality of the pet is the person who knows the beast best. This has been a great thread, thanks for starting it..

James

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 483 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer