NWPBanner
Welcome! NWPphotoforum.com
Topic Options
#30174 - 07/05/10 04:56 PM Will flash hurt a barn owl...?
rpcrowe Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Escondido, CA, USA
There is a barn owl that sits on a fence near my house just about every night. I'd like to get a picture of this beautiful creature but, I am concerned that a flash might adversely impact the bird. IMO, there is no image worth hurting an animal to capture.

#30175 - 07/05/10 06:30 PM Re: Will flash hurt a barn owl...? [Re: rpcrowe]
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kansas
Think of it as artificial lightning. Storms don't hurt owls unless they are struck by lightning, neither will a flash.

#30176 - 07/05/10 06:58 PM Re: Will flash hurt a barn owl...? [Re: psmith]
Jim Poor Offline
Addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Glad you're thinking of the safety of your subjects.

Flash is fine for birds of all sorts, but with owls, on-camera flash can be problematic because of eye-shine. You'll need to get the flash well off camera to avoid it.

Visit my website

#30177 - 07/06/10 12:29 PM Re: Will flash hurt a barn owl...? [Re: Jim Poor]
James Morrissey Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Manhattan, New York, New York
Hi Richard,

I think you are raising a good question. The answer is probably 'no.'. Many bird photos incorporate flash. Generally I never use flash when shooting wildlife as I don't want to spook the critters. However, most of my pet work does. Now that i think about it, It seems like I make a bit of an irrational distinction...

BTW, a lot of birders use a product called a 'Better Beamer' to extend the reach of their flash.

James

#30178 - 07/16/10 03:39 PM Re: Will flash hurt a barn owl...? [Re: James Morrissey]
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Portland Oregon
Only if you chuck it at him.

Roman

#30179 - 08/13/10 02:13 PM Re: Will flash hurt a barn owl...? [Re: RomanJohnston]
jadlh Offline
Old hand

Loc: west Michigan, USA
The flash might hurt his night vision for a minute if you are taking photos in the dark, other than that there should be no side effects.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Poppy, sheril walker, WbN, sierravalleylabs, Jon Albert
3310 Registered Users
Forum Stats
3310 Members
13 Forums
6438 Topics
36677 Posts

Max Online: 513 @ 07/14/12 06:45 PM

Copyright 2005 - 2017 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer