08/14/10 08:12 AM
08/14/10 08:12 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
A few years ago, I was called to evaluate a Rottie girl that had been found wandering through one of the Hunters Creek neighborhoods where we live. The family that found her had several smaller dogs and though Kayla got along with all of them, the single mom with a teenage daughter didn't feel they could give Kayla the time she needed. They called me to help them put her into Rescue and get her adopted.

When I got out of the car in front of the house where Kayla was playing in the front yard, she ran over to me, leaned against me and when I knelt to say "hi" she placed her head on my shoulder, looked me in the eyes and said "hi, I'm Kayla, how do you like me so far?" I talked with the owner, Krystena, and her daughter and it was clear they loved Kayla but just had too much on their plates to give her the home they felt she needed. I also talked with two of the neighbors that came out to meet me and they told me that Kayla was the nicest dog they had ever met and that they wanted Krystena to keep her.

I photographed Kayla and we placed her into Rescue. Two months later, I had a call that someone wanted to meet Kayla to adopt her so I called Krystena and she tearfully told me that they had decided to keep Kayla and were so sorry for all our trouble. I was thrilled and told her that since we thought Kayla had the perfect home, I could not be happier.

Two weeks ago, Krystena contacted me to say that Kayla had been diagnosed with osteocarcoma of the left rear leg. It was right around the time that our own Marion Louise was getting ready to leave us so I gave them all the advice I could find and made an appointment to take a formal picture of Kayla for them to remember her by. With schedules and Kayla's increasing inability to move around, we've not been able to get together for that session so yesterday, I took one of the original pictures that I took of Kayla and placed her into a field of daisies that Rowdy and I had found on one of our walks. The result is a portrait of a dog with great dignity facing life with determination and love.

I sent the proof to Krystena and received a teary phone call from her and her daughter telling me it was perfect and they wanted a huge print. Then they let me talk to Kayla and tell her I love her. I'll visit her today but I'm happy that I've been able to capture her essence and give these people the gift they so richly deserve -- an image of the dog whose life they saved.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Kayla: A Rescue Story [Re: Jim Garvie] #30699
08/14/10 09:00 AM
08/14/10 09:00 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Jim,

Thanks for this story. It is great - as well as the photo.

James

Re: Kayla: A Rescue Story [Re: James Morrissey] #30700
08/15/10 03:28 PM
08/15/10 03:28 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Oh man, my throat's too sore for this already! Great story. Wishing Kayla all the best!

Re: Kayla: A Rescue Story [Re: Jim Garvie] #30701
08/16/10 12:48 AM
08/16/10 12:48 AM
Escondido, CA, USA
R
rpcrowe Offline
Journeyman
rpcrowe  Offline
Journeyman
R

Escondido, CA, USA
A bittersweet story with a great picture.

If any of you have pets that you cherish and love, please make sure that you have a picture to remember that pet by. Make sure the picture is taken when the pet loks healthy and robust so that you can remember your friend when the friend was in its best form.

I lost a dear German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Wolf hybrid to cancer several years ago and have her portrait haging in a prominent place in my home.

Although I have other dogs that I love and cherish, there is never a day goes by that I am not warmly reminded of my loyal and beautiful buddy...

And, yes! I have good pictures of all my other dogs.

Re: Kayla: A Rescue Story [Re: rpcrowe] #30702
08/20/10 02:03 AM
08/20/10 02:03 AM
CA
StarrLight Offline
Veteran
StarrLight  Offline
Veteran

CA
Beautiful dog and photo and great story Jim.

Diana

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 458 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer