Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Everyone,

My friend Larry and I went out to Benezette PA last weekend to go find elk. They have what is supposedly the largest elk heard East of the Mississippi. We were only there for a day or so, but it was a lot of fun. They look to be trying to build up the heard and are building up their facilities for a hopeful 200,000 people a year. Given the size of the roads, I would HATE to be there if they get that kind of population floating through in September and October, but none the less, I am sure it is great for their local economy.

Anyway, here are a few of the shots that we got:

Re: Elk - Benezette Pennsylvania [Re: James Morrissey] #30983
09/04/10 03:51 AM
09/04/10 03:51 AM
USA, Ohio
Attila Kegyes Offline
Tracker
Attila Kegyes  Offline
Tracker

USA, Ohio
I didn't found any Elk around Benezett PA in a natural surroundings. They were laid or graze in people's backyard, too far from the road, and at evening when the lights weren't enough to photographing!

I got only one Elk which was in a backyard, but there was no fence or building in a background. But the Elk has wearing that stupid radio collar.

I like your first and fourth picture.
A first one is a little tight, looks like the Elk need to lowering his head just to fit into a frame, but the fogy surrounding is very nice.

I shoot on Fuji Velvia and Astia, with Nikon F6 and Pentax Z1p with Sigma zoom lenses.
Re: Elk - Benezette Pennsylvania [Re: Attila Kegyes] #30984
09/04/10 04:32 AM
09/04/10 04:32 AM
USA, Ohio
Attila Kegyes Offline
Tracker
Attila Kegyes  Offline
Tracker

USA, Ohio
My grand father was a pro hunter, hunting guide or something like that. I can't translate correctly because in America there is no similar job I guess. But the point is, his job was to observe, and study the game spieces populations, and healt conditions, and he has to know where the animals are, to able to guid sport hunters. But he never needed a radiocollar to attach to the animals! And he did his job succesfully for many many years!

Sometimes I don't understand, why American researchers, and scientist, make a big deal, out of simply things.
Here is the growing problem with wild hogs, called "pig bomb" for example! In Europe the wild hogs are natíve, and living around from centuries, but there are no problems around them. And never any scientist study them a same way like here in America. I saw in a NG channel, researcher did install a video camera on a wild pig head, and they were watching on the monitor from the distance, where the pig going. What they are wanna know? Why all this thing never needed in europe, to controll the wild pig populations?
Sometimes I think the scientist do many unnecessary things just got paid for doing something, whatever it is. And they are make it looks like very impoprtant what they doing. A few good pro hunters like my grand father was, would solve the problem for free even make some profit out of it! That's how it works in Europe!

I shoot on Fuji Velvia and Astia, with Nikon F6 and Pentax Z1p with Sigma zoom lenses.
Re: Elk - Benezette Pennsylvania [Re: Attila Kegyes] #30985
09/04/10 10:21 AM
09/04/10 10:21 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Atilla,

Thank you for e comments. We are in the same place on the photos I like the best, the first and last. I think i need to brighten the last just a bit, it appears slightly under exposed when I look at it. As to the fiesta shot, the elk actually has plenty of room in r original frame, i crop most of my images to how I print them 8x10. However, I do like think it would have been slightly better if his head were raised.

James

Re: Elk - Benezette Pennsylvania [Re: James Morrissey] #30986
09/04/10 12:15 PM
09/04/10 12:15 PM
CA
StarrLight Offline
Veteran
StarrLight  Offline
Veteran

CA
James I saw that first one in the fog on facebook, just stunning!

Diana

Re: Elk - Benezette Pennsylvania [Re: StarrLight] #30987
09/05/10 05:59 PM
09/05/10 05:59 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, Diana. It is appreciated. I have a couple of more that i will share later. I have been at a wedding in Albany, so I am not going to be home for a few hours. I am checking in on the iPad.

James

Re: Elk - Benezette Pennsylvania [Re: James Morrissey] #30988
09/05/10 07:34 PM
09/05/10 07:34 PM
Arizona
daveman Offline
Old hand
daveman  Offline
Old hand

Arizona
I had no idea there were Elk in PA... I thought Elk were only in the Western States...

I think the first shot is outstanding! Really like the fog and position.

See my stuff here davedilli.zenfolio.com

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 343 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer