10/07/10 06:39 PM
10/07/10 06:39 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
When judges move dogs in the Conformation ring, they are looking for two things:

1. how well do they move in a straight line away from the judge and toward the judge -- how well do they track

2. and how well they move around the ring with how much "reach" and how much "drive".

Over the course of our show careers, we've had the great fortune to have some pretty good-moving dogs. What does that mean exactly? It means that the dogs were structurally sound and able to do the job for which the breed was originally created. Rowdy was a prime example of that with his effortless movement around the ring indicating that he could trot with the herd of sheep all day long if necessary.

Today, Rowdy's son Max (Beachwalker Rowdy To The Max) showed in Arcadia, FL and I had the pleasure of both trying to hide from letting him see me and also get some decent shots for future advertising. Why do I hide? Because Max loves me . And because he loves me, he looks for me when he's in the ring. Not good. I should point out that Max is not our dog but has spent a lot of time with us over his 6 years on this planet so he's very comfortable in our home and loves the adventures we add to his life.

Today, Max went Winners Dog/Best Of Winners to move along in his quest for his AKC Championship. More than the ribbons he earned today, I was gratified with the feedback I received from people outside the ring who really didn't know he was with us. They loved his size, stature, soundness and, most of all, his movement. So, I wanted to share two flavors of Max's movement which I believe is very, very good. First up is his straight-line movement down and back to show how true his front and rear are.

And then how he looks going around the ring -- here in Best Of Breed competition -- where he's demonstrating his reach and drive.

The difference between these two images is the speed at which Max was moving: on the down & back, he's moved slowly, at a fast walk and on the go-around, he's moved as fast as possible without letting him over-stride or be out of control. In both cases, Max is in total balance. When he is fully-extended, he is also fully contracted. Everything is in balance.

To capture these "moments of movement" you have to be in the right place, at the right time and you have to understand what good movement is. Oh, and you have to have a dog that moves great. Because without that last element, you'll never get these types of images.

So here's Max. Soon to be Ch Beachwalker's Rowdy To The Max.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: A Quick Lesson In Movement: Dog Show Photos [Re: Jim Garvie] #31874
10/08/10 02:38 PM
10/08/10 02:38 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Lookin' Good Max.

Re: A Quick Lesson In Movement: Dog Show Photos [Re: Jim Poor] #31875
10/08/10 04:36 PM
10/08/10 04:36 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Today's show: Winners Dog/Best Of Winners for the second straight day. Lots of nice comments from other competitors which is almost unheard of in Conformation Showing. Nice day all around.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: A Quick Lesson In Movement: Dog Show Photos [Re: Jim Garvie] #31876
10/10/10 07:30 AM
10/10/10 07:30 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Max going Winners Dog/Best Of Winners in Arcadia FL for the third straight day on Saturday. This is "Reach" & "Drive"!

And, yes, I'm very proud of him.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: A Quick Lesson In Movement: Dog Show Photos [Re: Jim Garvie] #31877
10/10/10 11:03 AM
10/10/10 11:03 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Jim,

That's awesome. Thanks for the series...and, LOL, yes...you SHOULD be very proud of him!

James

Re: A Quick Lesson In Movement: Dog Show Photos [Re: James Morrissey] #31878
10/11/10 07:51 AM
10/11/10 07:51 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
James,
yesterday, Max took the Superfecta by getting Winners Dog for the 4th straight day. With all the Champions we've owned and bred, none have ever done that. It was incredible. And our Moxie got her first points by going Winners Bitch/Best Of Winners. Since she loves her great Uncle, Max, that was very cool. Great show weekend. Good venue, great weather, wonderful dogs and great people to enjoy it all with. That was the best weekend we've had in a long time.

BTW, here's a shot of Max's head.

Linda describes Max's face as like King Kong's as he's blowing Fay Wray dry in the palm of his hand . He's a lovely representative of his breed and he deserves to make some babies -- a point which which Max totally agrees!

Jim

Last edited by jimgarvie; 10/11/10 07:56 AM.

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: A Quick Lesson In Movement: Dog Show Photos [Re: Jim Garvie] #31879
10/11/10 07:55 AM
10/11/10 07:55 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
You definitely shine at the movement photos! Congratulations on your amazing weekend!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 552 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer