10/10/10 08:00 PM
10/10/10 08:00 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Today was the end of a 4-day show cluster and we hoped that Max would take his 4th straight Winners Dog which would be a pretty awesome feat. Well, we got our wish -- and much, much more. Max, as we hoped, was Winners Dog which brings him to 13 points including one major. He only needs one more win -- a major -- to finish his championship.

In boys, the Reserve Winners Dog went to a 9-12 month old puppy named Ike (Annihaus Blue Suede Combat Boots) -- out of our 10-month-old litter of puppies and showing for only the 3rd time in his life. While Max's win was not unexpected, Ike's RWD was totally out of the blue and we were almost speechless.

Then, the girls showed. Winners Bitch was another 9-12 month old puppy named Moxie (Annihaus Blue Suede Mocassins) in her 5th show ever. Then, in Best Of Breed competition, Moxie took Best Of Winners over her great Uncle, Max. Linda and I both almost collapsed. So, for the week, Max went WD/BOW Thursday, Friday and Saturday and WD on Sunday while Ike took RWD on Sunday and Moxie took WB/BOW on Sunday. We definitely should have played the lottery today.

After the show was over and everyone rested a bit, we took Moxie over to an interactive play area called Doggie Fun Zone which combines a lure-coursing technique with Agility-like jumps, tunnels and other obstacles. Moxie had run it on Friday for the first time in 18.39 seconds and had really enjoyed it. Today, she ran it in 16.43 seconds and beat the 3 Agility Rotties that were running the course ahead of her. So, here are some pics of Moxie on the Doggie Fun Zone course.

First, Moxie waiting her turn.

Going through the tire.

Clearing a hurdle.

And catching big air off of the A-frame.

Moxie, Max and Ike are all sleeping peacefully right now. It's been a tiring 4 days but remarkably rewarding ones nonetheless. Seeing Moxie running the course in the Doggie Fun Zone shows me that we're going to have to start her in Agility after she finishes her Conformation title. Now, to find someone that can run her!

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Is 10/10/10 A Lucky Date? For Me It was! [Re: Jim Garvie] #31888
10/10/10 09:56 PM
10/10/10 09:56 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Sounds like a great day, but . . .

Is that a pulley at the bottom of the A-frame?

After having a gun pointed at me during a hunt test today, I'm a bit safety conscious.

Re: Is 10/10/10 A Lucky Date? For Me It was! [Re: Jim Poor] #31889
10/11/10 07:47 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Jim
Doggy Fun Zone uses a pulley system to pull a lure through a course with jumps, tires, chutes, tunnels and even an A-Frame. Dogs with no formal Agility training run it to chase the lure. You first walk the dog through the course and then see whether or not it will chase the lure. Once you're comfortable that the dog knows the course and will chase, then it's off to the races.

Are there safety concerns? Yes, there's the wire the lure is being pulled on and the pulleys themselves but the dogs seem to be able to figure it out pretty well and when Rowdy ran it several years ago, he avoided any issues with the pulley's on the A-Frame by simply hurdling it . Moxie's move was second best: one leap to the top of the frame and then one huge leap to try to land on the lure. For us, the chance to see whether this situation would freak her out or be fun for her was worth it. She LOVED it!!!!

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Is 10/10/10 A Lucky Date? For Me It was! [Re: Jim Poor] #31890
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
What a great litter that has turned out to be!! You should be so proud.

Jim P, I think there is a lure running through that course. So, they have to have pulleys to get it through there

Re: Is 10/10/10 A Lucky Date? For Me It was! [Re: Julie] #31891
10/11/10 02:50 PM
10/11/10 02:50 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Thanks Julie. Proud and amazed! But the old guy, Max, taking 4 WD in 4 straight shows at 6-year's old really blew me away. He can run those kids right out of the ring and still be ready to go around 5 more times. And he was happier each time the judge asked them to go around again. There is so much "Rowdy" in Beachwalker Rowdy To The Max. I love that big old boy!

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Is 10/10/10 A Lucky Date? For Me It was! [Re: Jim Garvie] #31892
10/11/10 04:29 PM
10/11/10 04:29 PM
Connecticut
Sunstruck Offline
Old hand
Sunstruck  Offline
Old hand

Connecticut
Congrats Jim! Moxie looks like she was having a ball with the lure coursing. Are you going to go for Max's Grand Ch?

Penny J. Wills
[color:"#08c3c5"]www.pennyjwillsphotography.com[/color]
Re: Is 10/10/10 A Lucky Date? For Me It was! [Re: Sunstruck] #31893
10/11/10 06:28 PM
10/11/10 06:28 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
First we have to get his Championship! Max is 6 years old and out of Rowdy's 3rd and last litter. His owners had pick of the litter and we helped them select Max. They never wanted to show him but they left him intact. Every year he'd come and stay with us when they went on vacation and our house has became as much his home as his own home.

When Rowdy was diagnosed with cancer a year ago July, Max's owners asked us if we would like to breed/collect Max since they knew we had not been able to collect Rowdy. We said "yes" since Max is the one Rowdy kid that looks and acts the most like him, but we had conditions:

1. he had to get his health clearances

2. they had to let us try to get him his Championship.

Well, Max is Hips Excellent, Elbows Clear, Heart Clear, Eyes Clear (CHIC Full Clearances) and he now has 13 pts. including 1 major and he just started showing last January. He's shown exactly 8 times in his life.

Our plan is to get him done and breed him to Moxie's mom, Juneau, who is a Rowdy granddaughter. And maybe -- just maybe -- we'll get some little Rowdies and Rowdettes . Frankly, if we got one or two Maxes or Maxines I'd be delighted.

We have no plans to show him once he's completed his CH but I have to tell you that we've been overwhelmed with the number of handlers who have told us that he'd make an awesome Special. His owners really don't have the appetite for that. And we don't have the $$$ for it . But he will be shown a few times as a Champion in appropriate venues -- like at next year's National Specialty where I'm the Official Photographer. He already has 3 invitations to meet bitches of merit and several people who want his puppies. What greater compliment is that?

Jim

Last edited by jimgarvie; 10/11/10 06:31 PM.

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Is 10/10/10 A Lucky Date? For Me It was! [Re: Jim Garvie] #31894
10/12/10 12:38 PM
10/12/10 12:38 PM
Connecticut
Sunstruck Offline
Old hand
Sunstruck  Offline
Old hand

Connecticut
I'm sorry Jim, I thought Max already had his CH. Lots of luck! Rottie pups are like golden pups, ultimately huggable!

Penny J. Wills
[color:"#08c3c5"]www.pennyjwillsphotography.com[/color]
Re: Is 10/10/10 A Lucky Date? For Me It was! [Re: Sunstruck] #31895
10/13/10 06:44 AM
10/13/10 06:44 AM
Augusta, GA
M
Marie Mitchell Photography Offline
Old hand
Marie Mitchell Photography  Offline
Old hand
M

Augusta, GA
Thats wonderful! Congrats!
You guys are doing great with those lines! Something to be proud of!

Re: Is 10/10/10 A Lucky Date? For Me It was! [Re: Marie Mitchell Photography] #31896
10/19/10 08:20 PM
10/19/10 08:20 PM
CA
StarrLight Offline
Veteran
StarrLight  Offline
Veteran

CA
Congrats on the wins, and those are great photos. Looks like tons 'o fun!

Diana

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 360 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer