Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
A few from yesterday, we're finally getting some sunny weather!

My Web Site www.deedeemurry.com
Re: Dressage and CC [Re: Dee Dee] #3189
04/24/06 12:15 AM
04/24/06 12:15 AM
P
Psycht Offline
Tracker
Psycht  Offline
Tracker
P

Beautiful shots! That fourth photo is absolutely stunning! What sort of lens did you use? I am going to be shooting at a dressage show later this summer and am looking forward to it.

Ingrid A. Rosenquist Psycht Australian Cattle Dogs and Photography http://www.pbase.com/cattledog
Re: Dressage and CC [Re: Psycht] #3190
04/24/06 12:23 AM
04/24/06 12:23 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Dee Dee,

Very well done, indeed. Great shots! I like them all, though I think I find the one with the black background to be my favorite. I also like the side profile of the horse all lathered up (#2).

James

Re: Dressage and CC [Re: James Morrissey] #3191
04/24/06 01:32 AM
04/24/06 01:32 AM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
Thanks James and Ingrid
These were all shot with the MKII and 300 2.8 lens I brought it to try it out for the first time on the new tripod and ballhead...but some of the knobs all froze up on me, boy it's easy to do that! So these were hand held, very heavy. I also had my 20D and 70-200 2.8 lens with me (love to hand hold that and like the versatility of the zoom but the 300 2.8 is hard to beat for sharpness). But the ones posted here are with the 300 2.8. It was hard to get used to a fixed focal length but now I kind of like it becuase it forces you to do some crops you wouldn't have thought to do. The top one for instance was not cropped further, I wish I had not cut off the horses hooves but I couldn't move back any farther.

I noticed the "official" photographer there (they already had one durn it so I was just there to practice) was using a 70-300 I believe. (canon). Good luck on the dressage shoot Ingrid! I hope we'll get to see some of your shots. Nice thing about dressage and cross country is you can get really close to the action, I kept moving from jump to jump to get different jump shots but you can usually walk right up pretty close.

Re: Dressage and CC [Re: Dee Dee] #3192
04/24/06 07:57 PM
04/24/06 07:57 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Very sharp crisp images, I can almost touch the wetness of their coats.

The one critique I have is to make sure you get all the feet in the jumping shots, You are missing the hooves in the first shot. I would have actually liked to have seen the jump also to give it perspective.

As a rider, the behind the verticle shots drive me nuts. Gorgeous shots of the muscling, foam, and detail, but, it really highlights what you are not looking for in a dressage horse. Not atypical of eventing dressage though. Most eventers due the dressage only so they can jump!

If you are looking to sell, there are specific things people will buy. Technically, you nailed them. Can't fault you a hair on any of that stuff.

Just like dog show formals, people are looking for something very specific and won't $$$ if it isn't that.

Re: Dressage and CC [Re: Julie] #3193
04/24/06 11:43 PM
04/24/06 11:43 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

"As a rider, the behind the verticle shots drive me nuts. Gorgeous shots of the muscling, foam, and detail, but, it really highlights what you are not looking for in a dressage horse. Not atypical of eventing dressage though. Most eventers due the dressage only so they can jump!

If you are looking to sell, there are specific things people will buy. Technically, you nailed them. Can't fault you a hair on any of that stuff. "

Hey Julie,

Thanks for the insights. So, if you were shooting this for a $$ perspective, how would you have gone about it?

James

Re: Dressage and CC [Re: James Morrissey] #3194
04/25/06 11:28 AM
04/25/06 11:28 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
The first shot I would have pulled out a bit. To get the hooves and some of the jump. Other than that, the timing is great.

Eventing dressage is really hard. You have these super fit, hot horses that usually don't find dressage their favorite thing. event riders are bold, brave and love to jump.

Dressage horses should never look like they their heads are being constricted, which all of these do. I personally would not display this as a photo of my riding. Event riders know they don't do (for the most part) classical dressage, but, not sure they would prove it with photos.

I don't know how you can shoot this differently, as this horse in particular may have had a heavy handed rider or just been about to explode and she was riding defensively. I do want to take and loosen that flash noseband though.

I have never shot a 3 day event, but, my guess is the majority of sales are off of the jumping phases. I might try and do more shots of the extended trot when the horse will be naturally going forward and lengthening its neck/body.

Artistically, 2 and 3 are beautiful.Dressage wise incorrect though. 4 just looks painful. Granted, they are just moments in time and the test as a whole might have been lovely. He is a beautiful horse and I am certain the girl is a lovely rider.

Dee Dee, smack me if this is too critical. You are a wonderful photographer and your exposure, sharpness, color ect; are perfect. I just know what I would buy and would not. I know how bad I ride and I don't want to prove it

Re: Dressage and CC [Re: Julie] #3195
04/26/06 07:46 AM
04/26/06 07:46 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Julie,

That was an awesome response. Thank you very much. I learned a lot from your post. While I am not normally into the equines as part of my business, you just gave a lot of helpful info.

James

Re: Dressage and CC [Re: James Morrissey] #3196
04/26/06 09:34 PM
04/26/06 09:34 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
Thanks for that Julie, of course you are not being too critical! I love getting input like this. I agree with the first shot, I was using a prime lens and sitting on the ground, turned and just barely got this one, I too would have liked to have included the hooves and a bit more of the jump. I have been staying close in with this lens a lot hoping to get unusual crops, I am kind of going for a more intimate, artsy style rather than the traditional full body poses all the time, but I imagine those are more of what people will want to buy...?

I am going to go shoot (for practice) at some dressage events that are much higher quality than this, this was a smaller schooling event. Glad you pointed out about the horse being behind the vertical, I should have noticed that but got caught up in the photographic moment!

All very helpful comments, please always feel free to critique away!! Thanks!

Re: Dressage and CC [Re: Dee Dee] #3197
04/26/06 09:49 PM
04/26/06 09:49 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Definitely shoot the FEI level riders. Most will enable you to get very correct artsy photos. Eventing dressage is a whole other world. Riding one of those horses is like riding a stick of dynamite.

The dressage only horses, especially at 4th level and above will generally be big, muscular, powerful moving horses. The piaffe and passage can be made into beautiful fine art prints. There isn't much more beautiful than a horse going well at FEI. It takes my breath away.

If you are shooting for yourself, I think doing so in a manner that pleases you (and will please 99% of the population that doesn't ride!) is fine. If you are shooting to sell, than you aim for what riders want. They want to see their horse at the perfect point in stride( driving from behind with the front at max extension) or at the apex of the jump.

A 3/4 view of a jump will give the best effect and even more so in portrait orientation. Watch your backgrounds and try to get ears and feet in. Sometimes you can work around it, but that is the goal.

Riders want to see themselves as riding well. I would tend to think that dressage sales would be lower than hunter/jumpers. You have to get almost the perfect shot for a DQ(dressage queen) to want to purchase it. All the H/J people want is good photos of their kids. As a buyer, I bought up 6 photos and I had one child in one class. I even purchased a picture of my son being led on a friends horse.

I have a two day horse show to do this weekend and I am sweating bullets. I hope I can physically hold up to 12+ hours straight for 2 days. It will be a challenge at least. Losing 10lbs wouldn't hurt me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 367 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer