Augusta, GA
M
Marie Mitchell Photography Offline
Old hand
Marie Mitchell Photography  Offline
Old hand
M

Augusta, GA
Well this has been quite an interesting thread for me to read. With us having 3 cats as well as our dog, we really have to be consistent with our pack order. Our cats are always top, and we do everything we can to relay that to the dog. Daisy knows her place, but we do occasionally need to remind her of that. We would love to add a second dog, but scared we might disturb the current balance in the household.

Re: Puppy aggression? [Re: Marie Mitchell Photography] #32059
10/21/10 07:47 PM
10/21/10 07:47 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Marie,
at one point not too long ago, we had 7 dogs and 3 cats in this household and several canine visitors from time-to-time. The dogs that lived here, grew up with the cats so they respected them and let them alone. Every puppy that has ever been bred here spent the first 8 weeks of their lives with cats and so there was never any issue having them move into families with cats.

When we rescued Marion Louise -- a street dog -- we had some concerns about how she would react to the cats. The first evening she stayed in our house, she had finally realized that she could sit on the couch with me and so she had crawled up there and OJ, our youngest cat, jumped onto the top of the back of the couch, laid down and placed his paw on Marion Louise. She accepted that act of trust the way we had hoped she would and she and OJ were fast friends for the rest of their lives.

The thing about this household is that there is a true alpha male and a true alpha "bitch" that all the animals can relate to: me and Linda. I don't say that lightly -- when you have a large, complex pack, you need clear direction and these guys get it from us. We are with them full-time since we work out of the house. None of the animals have ever felt the urge to "depose" us as the leaders of the pack. In fact, we make their lives much easier because they only have to be dogs and cats.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Puppy aggression? [Re: Jim Garvie] #32060
10/25/10 01:23 PM
10/25/10 01:23 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Quote:

Anyone who thinks there is not pack order among all beings needs to sit in a field and watch a herd of horses, hang out in a schoolyard and watch the kids, go to a dinner party and observe the guests or watch a litter of puppies and see how they behave. All beings ascribe to pack order. we all must establish our place, whether dog, cat, horse, or human.

Each one of those cases involves pack order among members of a specific species. None of them describe an inter-species pack order. It just doesn't happen.

Any human who truly believe s/he can do anything exactly like a canine is fooling themselves. We are NOT canines, we're not built like them, we don't think like them and the idea that any of us can truly "speak dog" is ludicrous.

The barbaric methods of yesteryear are thankfully fading from popularity. Yes, they do produce results, but they do so at a cost and certainly don't work for the reasons that folks long thought they did.

There is a place for discipline, but things like Alpha rolls and scruff shakes have been long debunked as good training methods.

Re: Puppy aggression? [Re: Jim Poor] #32061
10/25/10 05:05 PM
10/25/10 05:05 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Jim,
there is philosophy and there is experience. Anybody who has had a number of dogs in their household and does not see inter-species hierarchical dynamics is blind.

As for what techniques have been debunked, stern discipline has not whether it's verbal or light physical and alpha rolls and scruff shakes are an essential part of canine dominance. You personally may not like that, but that doesn't make it untrue or unacceptable when used by someone that really understands when -- and when not -- to use it.

It is not "barbaric" to use force when necessary with dogs that both understand it and can tolerate it physically and psychologically. Again, it might not be in your bag of preferences but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for others.

My two main breeds have been Golden Retrievers and Rotties. I've had some very tough Goldens over the years that needed to understand their role in our household -- which is in fact a pack -- and I've had some incredibly sweet Rotties that needed to be encouraged to move into their role. Our primary training tool is love and reward. Which is why our dogs love us. But they also need to obey us and that's our job to teach them. We've been doing it for 40 years. All the philosophizing in the world is not going to debunk reality.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Puppy aggression? [Re: Jim Garvie] #32062
10/25/10 05:17 PM
10/25/10 05:17 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
That's one of the problems. People that have been doing it "successfully" for long periods of time aren't willing to accept that there might actually be better ways.

Re: Puppy aggression? [Re: Marie Mitchell Photography] #32063
10/25/10 09:01 PM
10/25/10 09:01 PM
Connecticut
Sunstruck Offline
Old hand
Sunstruck  Offline
Old hand

Connecticut
Marie, we have 14 cats and 5 dogs. Not much disturbs our balance! LOL! But, in all fairness, our animals are used to us bringing home strays, new fosters, dumpoffs, etc. As long as you show your existing pets that you still love them, give them separate attention, your guys should be fine. Our cats don't even raise an eyebrow any more when a new cat shows up. Cody will usually walk up to the new comer and wash their face. That usually does it, the new foster/rescue has a buddy to curl up with. The other cats will not start anything, they just ignore the new cat.

Since getting the puppy though, we have only rescued 1 cat/kitten. I was unsure what Poohbear would do with the kitten, but he is quite gentle with it, unlike his wrestling with Cody and Buddy, who you would swear is WWIII.

I would pick a pup with a complimentary attitude to Daisy, if she tends to be a little hyper, pick out a laid back breed, and a male, to help insure no alpha bitch fights. You do NOT want one of those.

Good luck with your decision!

Penny J. Wills
[color:"#08c3c5"]www.pennyjwillsphotography.com[/color]
Re: Puppy aggression? [Re: Jim Poor] #32064
10/28/10 08:55 AM
10/28/10 08:55 AM
Massachusetts, USA
L
Lesley Offline
Venturer
Lesley  Offline
Venturer
L

Massachusetts, USA
My personal belief is that we all need boundaries and rules and in my experience, dogs are most comfortable and happy when the boundaries and rules are clear and enforced by me the pack leader. I am tested daily by both my Rott and my Airedale Terrier, but IMHO they need to be reminded that our pack structure will remain constant. Training methods are just that" methods" and are as varied as "methods" of parenting children, one way does not mean the next person's way is right or wrong... just different.

Attached Files
32541-_S5P4951a.jpg (6 downloads)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 513 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer