Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Everyone,

We just posted the second review from the Yellowstone/Grand Teton Trip. This one is of the Pen E-P2 camera. I hope you find it interesting.

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/..._ep2_review.php

Cheers
James

Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Review [Re: James Morrissey] #32532
11/22/10 05:08 PM
11/22/10 05:08 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Hey James,
finally got the time to read both your review of the M9 and of the Pen E-P2 and I really enjoyed them both. I used to use a Leica M-3 as my photo-journalistic camera in the 1970's and I loved it. There is something unique to the rangefinder experience and I found it particularly good for the type of shooting you encounter in journalism. I can see where both of these cameras would adapt well to the type of shooting you experienced on vacation.

In my "day job", however, I doubt if either camera would meet my needs. I can't imagine shooting dog shows or events with a rangefinder or a camera with no real viewfinder. Nor is that what these cameras were designed to do. I might think about using the M9 in certain wedding situations, however. Not as the only camera but as the "candid" camera, I think it would work like the old Leicas did in journalism.

Thanks for the reviews and for sharing your images of Yellowstone. I really enjoyed both.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Review [Re: Jim Garvie] #32533
11/22/10 05:42 PM
11/22/10 05:42 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Jim,

You are 100% correct. These are landscape field reviews. As I mentioned in the Oly review, they do not replace a SLR for high pace work.

"This is not to say that I believe that it can replace my SLRS in all occasions. As I noted, it does not operate any where near as fast. However, for casual shooting it is great."

What I like about these cameras is what they do offer. In the Leica's case, it is all about user experience. In the Olympus', it is all about providing a great match between portability and capability. This camera is physically not much larger than many point and shoots, and with the large sensor, provides remarkable output throughout the range.

Cheers,
James

PS Glad you like the images. We have one last "Yellowstone/Grand Teton" article coming up which will be a joint article by Chanthee and I. LOL, I am afraid that everyone will be Teton'd out by the time I am done with this last trip!!!

Last edited by James Morrissey; 11/22/10 05:48 PM.
Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Review [Re: James Morrissey] #32534
12/03/10 08:03 PM
12/03/10 08:03 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Hi James!

Finally returned from my trip to Florida and had time to re-read your field reviews of the Leica M-9 and the Olympus Pen E-P2. I enjoyed both very much.

I was particularly interested in your thoughts on these two cameras since most of the photography I've been doing lately has been memorializing our travels since retirement. I'm not willing to give up my Olympus E-30, but it can be a pain in the neck to lug around sightseeing all day. (Pun intended!) Lately, I've been toying with the idea of picking up a super zoom for travel photography.

I was hoping Oly would send you one of their electronic view finders and the new 75-300mm zoom or at least the 14-150mm. I never could get the hang of holding the camera at arm's length to compose and focus. I have enough trouble with camera shake as it is. I was looking forward to your assessment of the add on view finder.

In any event, thanks for your insight, I'm looking forward to your and Chanthee's upcoming article. BTW, you can never have too much of the Tetons.

Jim

Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Review [Re: Tucson Jim] #32535
12/04/10 10:34 PM
12/04/10 10:34 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Jim,

Glad to hear that you liked the review. I agree, I was hoping that they would send the electronic viewfinder. I did find it to be a bit of a limiting factor in some situations.

BTW, did you share this article somewhere? I noticed an uptick of visitors yesterday.

LOL, I will believe it when I see it with the Tetons. I think even I am getting a tad tired of the genre...at least for a few days at least. I did a bunch of doggies today, so we were not able to get the article up today. It will probably be some time next week.

Cheers
James

Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Review [Re: James Morrissey] #32536
12/08/10 02:28 PM
12/08/10 02:28 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Wasn't me.

Jim

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 336 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer