12/26/10 06:03 PM
12/26/10 06:03 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Funny you should mention corporate work. I've got a dog client who is also a real estate agent, and I'm trying to break into head shots with them and move from there.

I'm darn close to having two complete set ups now. One to be left in the studio and one to take on the road.

Re: Is this acceptable??? [Re: Jim Poor] #33043
12/27/10 04:51 PM
12/27/10 04:51 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Jim,
that's my plan as well but with us planning to move into a new home in early Feb., I'm kinda glad I waited for the purely studio setup. Less things to move. Also glad I didn't set up an outside studio since I'd have had to travel a lot farther than I'd like once we're in the new house.

It will be interesting to see how much room I have for a permanent setup in the new place. Smaller house; much bigger lot (over an acre) so it's really much better for the dogs but not necessarily for a photographer. We're going over to take measurements next week so I'll have a much better idea of space after that. There's room to build and there's good retail space nearby so either way, we'll figure out a way to make it work.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Is this acceptable??? [Re: Jim Garvie] #33044
12/27/10 07:19 PM
12/27/10 07:19 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Sounds like a plan. I didn't realize you were moving.

I'd kill for a studio in a dedicated retail space, but right now all it would kill would be the budget I'm afraid.

Re: Is this acceptable??? [Re: Jim Poor] #33045
12/27/10 09:57 PM
12/27/10 09:57 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Jim,
yes, I agree, but compared to adding space to a home -- maybe not all that bad an alternative. At least you can pay as you go . I'm not sure what the right answer is at this point but I will have a studio and I will be on the road. The question is how much of each. Right now my inclination is to bring it with me wherever the action or portraits are. It's a small inconvenience compared to promoting and bringing people to a studio location. Especially if I decide the right answer is to be at shows doing ring candids and portraits. In MHO, the best people to do portraits of show dogs are the folks who know how they should be set up for ring formals. You can attest to the difficulty of shooting specific breeds if you don't know how they "should" be set up for ring formals. The best headshots I've ever gotten is of dogs as they were showing in the ring. That's what the judges see.

I have a feeling what the right answer is. I just need to implement it along with shows. The key is being able to travel and keep the family together. 4 dogs is a lot easier than what we've had to manage in the past. Plus, Moxie is showing and Sundance is doing Performance stuff. As long as we don't breed another litter in the short term, I can afford to be on the road. Of course, Max (the Rowdy son) would like to make some puppies now that he's a Champion (CHIC with full clearances, Hips Excellent) and that's on the agenda for the Spring with Moxie's mom, Juneau. So, road trips look like they are limited to the early part of 2011 . I'll let you know what we decide in terms of studio space.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Is this acceptable??? [Re: Jim Garvie] #33046
12/29/10 10:18 AM
12/29/10 10:18 AM
Long Island, NY
Diane Offline OP
Journeyman
Diane  Offline OP
Journeyman

Long Island, NY
Very interesting read. Thanks all, as I'm truly absorbing all this. I will definitely be investing in a simple portable studio after my Uganda trip. This masking business kind of sucks, which is why I posted this. I did realize that studio photography is likely easier, as there is not the issue of controlling the background. In a small house with lots of clutter (even when the owner doesn't realize it's clutter), it's impossible, no matter how shallow the dof. I was shooting at f/4 primarily, and wider open, but it still was impossible. I found this website, http://www.backdropexpress.com/index.aspx , which seems to have very decent prices. Your thoughts??

Re: Is this acceptable??? [Re: Diane] #33047
12/29/10 02:16 PM
12/29/10 02:16 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Diane,
Backdrop Express and Backdrop Outlet (www.backdropoutlet.com) both carry some decent, inexpensive basic backdrops. I've also purchased muslin at JoAnne's and painted the backdrop myself using spray cans. Alternately, I've found great fabrics in the discount bins at JoAnne's, Michaels and even Walmart.

As for lights, my AB400s give me F8 @ 10 feet and ISO 200 using silver reflectors or the Alien Bee silver 64-inch PLMs. I'm at F6.3 with a single PLM. And, for me, everything is portable in two relatively lightweight cases including the backdrop stand and light stands. A little extra lugging comes into play when I bring the Vagabond but sometimes that's necessary.

Good luck with the search. That can be fun, too.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Is this acceptable??? [Re: Jim Garvie] #33048
12/29/10 03:42 PM
12/29/10 03:42 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
You can also do outdoor portraits which I think tend to even turn out better than indoor ones. I am about 50/50 on studio/location. Location tends to make larger sales. I do not like doing in people's homes as a rule.

Re: Is this acceptable??? [Re: Julie] #33049
12/31/10 01:20 PM
12/31/10 01:20 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I have been thinking about this thread since I am about to do a viewing session from an in home shoot. It was not a large home, just a smaller rancher without a lot of light. You can make it work by isolating your subject.

I took photos of their cats like this, on the kitchen table with the window for light.

Re: Is this acceptable??? [Re: Jim Garvie] #33050
12/31/10 10:58 PM
12/31/10 10:58 PM
CA
StarrLight Offline
Veteran
StarrLight  Offline
Veteran

CA
Quote:

Diane,
Backdrop Express and Backdrop Outlet (www.backdropoutlet.com) both carry some decent, inexpensive basic backdrops. I've also purchased muslin at JoAnne's and painted the backdrop myself using spray cans. Alternately, I've found great fabrics in the discount bins at JoAnne's, Michaels and even Walmart.
Jim

My backdrops are all JoAnnes fabrics, 60" wide, which is fine for the cat show photos on the 4' table. But I'd been shooting a lot more of the exhibitors and only have one really large backdrop, its blue/grey. Will be looking for another with warmer colors. The big one I got when I was on another (pay) photo forum, they had a sales thread. Got a good deal. But also watch craigslist, etc.

I actually live pretty close to Backdrop Outlet, should go visit one of these days.

Diana

Re: Is this acceptable??? [Re: Jim Garvie] #33051
12/31/10 11:00 PM
12/31/10 11:00 PM
CA
StarrLight Offline
Veteran
StarrLight  Offline
Veteran

CA
Quote:

Diane,
I've also purchased muslin at JoAnne's and painted the backdrop myself using spray cans.
Jim

Actually, wouldn't those fabric paints better for backdrops? Would the paint be less stiff? I'd like to try this.

Diana

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 345 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer