01/25/11 08:17 PM
01/25/11 08:17 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Hello, it's been awhile since i posted so i thought i'd start back in with some new, unusual material. I know it's not really NWP "style" but since when has that ever stopped anyone? We all like great imagery no matter what the subject . . . right . . ?

So, here's a couple shots from a commercial shoot i did last weekend; anyone care to comment? Take your choice pick one or just tell me what you think of them generally . . .

Re: Edgy, Cold, Commercial Images (hunting) [Re: Tony Bynum] #33560
01/25/11 09:08 PM
01/25/11 09:08 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
I like them. The processing reminds me of some of the hard core rap photos I've seen.

Re: Edgy, Cold, Commercial Images (hunting) [Re: Jim Poor] #33561
01/26/11 12:17 AM
01/26/11 12:17 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Tony,

I would like to hear more about the processing as well. I like the look and richness of the colors.

From a composition perspective, I like the 2nd the best. It is the 'cleanest' of the three images. The hunter is very prominent and there are no distracting influences. I also really like the solar flare - it is something I do in a lot of my own work.

I feel the same way about the 3rd shot, but I am not sure I get why the hunter is holding the antlers. It is solid composition and well lit. I also like his placement in the film plane. Very well done.

I WANT to like the first photo in the series. My problem is that I feel that the hunter gets lost in the trees - maybe that is intentional as you wish to emphasize the element of concealment. However, it does not quite work for me. I DO like the way that the gun has almost a 3D look. Was it taken with a WA lens?

BTW, the lighting in all three are excellently done. May I ask what you used as a lighting source, given that in all 3 images the subject is being back lit by the sun?

Thanks for posting these, Tony. They are very good compositions - and you are right, very unique for the forum.

Cheers,
James

Re: Edgy, Cold, Commercial Images (hunting) [Re: James Morrissey] #33562
01/26/11 12:48 AM
01/26/11 12:48 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Holy CHIT! I like these. Very dynamic, interesting with gobs of perspective. I think you nailed it.

Roman

Re: Edgy, Cold, Commercial Images (hunting) [Re: James Morrissey] #33563
01/26/11 12:52 AM
01/26/11 12:52 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Thanks for looking and making comments fellas. . .

I'll make this as short but complete as I can.

full frame with a 17-35 2.8 shot at f/18 iso 100, 1/250 or 1/320 . . . shot at 17 thus the distortion of the gun barrel.

three lights, sun for backlight, photographers right sb-900 full 1/1 triggered wireless, attached to a tree with a home made clamp built for attaching to trees . . . third light was on camera at 1/32 for fill. Some were shot with just the sb900 and no on camera.

camera and flashes all set manually. due to the power of the sun, you have to shoot this in manual and you have to have your lights close or if you use larger lights, you need extra power packs, snoots, stands, etc to control the light.

the compositions all had purpose, so they are fine. . . the antlers are for rattling in white tail bucks, it's a popular method of attracting deer during the rut and prior to.

processed in lightroom - using a lot of trial and error.

The truth is that there's always a lot of trial and error. One thing nice about the lcd is instant feedback. . . and having a very cooperative model helps. . .

Tony

Re: Edgy, Cold, Commercial Images (hunting) [Re: Tony Bynum] #33564
01/26/11 12:13 PM
01/26/11 12:13 PM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
Hi Tony, so glad to see you posting again. I am pleased you said commercial since that is what I thought they would work best for since the technique is dominate to me. To me, there are wonderful processes that can be done and they add a great deal of interest.

Now comes the "but", if they overshadow the subject, composition or whatever the image makers wants they to see, then the process has lost its purpose. I love playing with images and I bet you had fun working these three out. They are great results. I like the composition of the first one the most. If you are selling the jacket, I like the 2nd image.

I will now turn the question back on you - are you happy with them? What are their strong points and what if anything bothers you?

Peggy Sue
Re: Edgy, Cold, Commercial Images (hunting) [Re: Tony Bynum] #33634
01/29/11 11:17 AM
01/29/11 11:17 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Thanks Peggy . . .

Happy with them. . . . they turned out okay for what i had to work with. Actually for overpowering the full sun with an off camera sb 900 it was not too bad . . .

I had that morning to shoot some stuff and that's what i got. Sometimes you have only the time you get and you have to make it work . . . I'd have done a lot different had i planned to have to get that kind of shot before I left for the trip. . . Luckely when i got shoot, i take just about everything i think i might need. . . however on this trip, i took i tall but did not pack it all into this location . . . In any event, I'm satisfied with the results. . . a little dissapointed in the distortion, but i can fix that in post . . .

Tony

Re: Edgy, Cold, Commercial Images (hunting) [Re: Tony Bynum] #33713
02/01/11 10:57 AM
02/01/11 10:57 AM
Nashville Tennessee
Durwood Edwards Offline
Old hand
Durwood Edwards  Offline
Old hand

Nashville Tennessee
Here's my take:

I think the distorted length of the gun barrel in the first one is distracting.

I believe my preferred pic would be number three; however, the lighting bothers me in all of them. With the sun obviously behind the hunter the fill light on his face is a bit too strong and gives a very artificial appearance IMHO.

I understand the need to bring out the face, but I would tone it down a bit to bring it more in alignment with the overall lighting (sun position) of the shots.

Durwood Edwards
www.joelton.org

"Never miss a good chance to shut-up!" - Will Rogers

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 563 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer