05/01/06 12:51 PM
05/01/06 12:51 PM
J
JeffDinPA Offline OP
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline OP
Old hand
J

Before I got outside today, our one dog started going nuts. Based on her response I knew we had something in the front yard that she wanted to chase. I assumed a squirrel got to close or perhaps a deer or turkey was out there. But as I scanned the front yard I found nothing. I looked and looked and thought my 13 year old dog was finally loosing it. But knowing her, I figured she is always right. Upon one more careful scan, I found her concern. It was the elusive tree climbing Groundhog of Northern PA.

OK, I am kidding about the name of it, it’s just a groundhog, but how many of you knew they climbed trees? I have always been in areas with these pests, but until a few years ago I never knew they climbed. It is a defense mechanism, if they have to they will climb. This s on the second one I saw do it, and s/he must have spotted the Dobi at the door. No Montana Grizzly, but it’s brown. What do you think of these stalking tactic Dick, I finally found a critter I can get close too:) Treed Groundhogs and Cornered Opossum’s are more my speed.

Maybe he is just trying to get a taste of those Dogwood Blossoms.

Thanks, Jeff
Re: The elusive Gopher upus [Re: JeffDinPA] #3362
05/01/06 06:17 PM
05/01/06 06:17 PM
Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
PossumCorner Offline
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline
Old hand

Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
It is just beautiful and I didn't know they could climb. Maybe he didnt know either until the dog appeared. When I was horse-riding in PA I thought it was exciting to see ground hogs, something exotic as we don't have them in Australia. So I'd be holding the horse back looking at them and the other riders were just looking at me and one another like "crazy Australian, why would anyone stop to look at a groundhog?"

Re: The elusive Gopher upus [Re: PossumCorner] #3363
05/02/06 10:26 AM
05/02/06 10:26 AM
J
JeffDinPA Offline OP
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline OP
Old hand
J

They are kind of cute aren't they. Nasty little devils if threatened though, and man can they do some damage to a garden! And for that reason they are not looked upon very favorably. Outside of the few bobcats and Coyotes, once they get this size they have few predators. Like other animals, they are interesting to watch, but I spend very little time doing so since I would rather be looking for something nicer:)

Thanks, Jeff
Re: The elusive Gopher upus [Re: JeffDinPA] #3364
05/03/06 12:48 AM
05/03/06 12:48 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
"Nasty little devils if threatened though, "

That is because they have sharp and pointy teeth.

James

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 453 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer